Why become a member? ×

Tuner with a bright display?

mcnach

I love my Korg Pitchblack... but sometimes playing outdoors it's very hard to see the display.
Does anybody know of a decent tuner pedal with a display that can be easily seen under bright outdoor light?
It may be simpler to make some kind of shade for the tuner, but if there's something out there that works better...

If the display on the pedal versions are anything like the display on the clip-on version that I use (which I think it is) then I'd try a TC Electronic Polytune 2 or 3 for sure.

Really bright and clear, great tuner! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Sammers

I made a cardboard sunshield for my PitchBlack but it didn't make any difference! I also have a Poytune clip-on in which is a bit better in sunlight but still not particularly easy to see. I wish I'd kept my old Boss TU-12 with the Vu type needle meter for sunny outdoor gigs.

Hmmm, I have a Polytune Nano but it's on my big board that never gets used outside. I never thought it was that much brighter... maybe it's time to try it.

Yes, a VU-type tuner is what I thought initially, but not sure there are any made these days...

the nano poly may not be as bright as the normal one, something has to make way for the smaller footprint. Let us know if it is better for you.

PS there's gonna be a lot of Polytune 2s for sale used when the Poly 3 starts selling, grab a bargain :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1499408031' post='3331318']
Just over £20 from Amazon. Bright, big display

https://www.avsl.com/brands/chord/product/174.244UK-chromatic-tuner-pedal
[/quote]
I have that exact one, except I bought it direct off AliExpress for just over £10. It worked well in bright sun last Sunday.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1499407010' post='3331313']
Ashdown's bassometer is bright as a thousand suns AND features a VU. I took it off my board to save space and I never do daylight gigs.
[/quote]

It's... huuuuuuge! :blink:

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499408269' post='3331321']
I have that exact one, except I bought it direct off AliExpress for just over £10. It worked well in bright sun last Sunday.
[/quote]

Hmmm... and it's tiny weeny... and I like the display a lot more than my Polytune nano... if it works well enough for bass, this is certainly interesting. Thanks! I still like more the idea of a VU-style tuner with a needle and a white background... but that looks like it's going to be impossible to find in a reasonable size, so BRIGHT LEDs is an alternative...

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499451440' post='3331698']
+1 TC polytune
I also have the Korg rack unit in my rig. Can't say i've noticed it being difficult to see in daylight. Are you talking about footpedal version ?

Dave
[/quote]

Yes, the foot pedal, like this:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1499344112' post='3330852']
Does anybody know of a decent tuner pedal with a display that can be easily seen under bright outdoor light?
It may be simpler to make some kind of shade for the tuner, but if there's something out there that works better...
[/quote]
Can't fault the old DT10 in this respect.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1499456417' post='3331745']
I've just received a Polytune 2 mini. Will plug it in tonight with bedroom lights on full and see how it looks.
[/quote]

Indoors is never a problem.
Sunlight is.