Why become a member? ×

Definitive thread on kit-sharing...

Telebass

Don't mind me rig being used I guess, as long as the other guy asks, has a firm handshake and gets me one in. It's hardly boutique after all. I know my settings and I have no qualms about getting on stage to limit damage by others. Or threatening damage to others if the worst was to happen. You can always have a quiet word with their mum when she picks 'em up. Or get their contact details off the promoter. I've fallen foul of the 'yeah - use mine' prior to the gig only for the offer to be withdrawn when they arrive though, so I always take mine anyway.

I'd like to think that if someone on the bill had a better bit of kit he wouldn't mind me using it, but after reading these posts, I guess not, eh!

Pedals & basses though - no chance. Last time I did that I found a scratch :)

I don't know what magic venues you lot all play in that have the space to accomodate 3 bands bass rigs, 3 drumkits, 3 sets of guitar amps and cabs etc etc, but I've certainly not come across many!

At nearly every gig I played with my last band someone shared the drumkit (minus snare and cymbals) bass cab, and guitar cabs. Pre-arranged by the promotor most of the time, but providing the band who wanted to use my kit asked beforehand I had no problem lending my cab and in a few instances my head. Once or twice I have lent my bass when someone has broken strings or had a problem with theirs. Obviously it's not all give give give, I've borrowed my fair share of other peoples backline as well.

Whatever happened to community spirit among musicians?

[quote name='Wil' post='318940' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:09 PM']I don't know what magic venues you lot all play in that have the space to accomodate 3 bands bass rigs, 3 drumkits, 3 sets of guitar amps and cabs etc etc, but I've certainly not come across many![/quote]

I was thinking that, but I think that is a difference between covers scene and the normal club originals scene.

I never lend stuff out on the night, but if people contact beforehand we will arrange kit sharing of some kind, I quite often will use someone else's cab.

[quote name='Wil' post='318940' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:09 PM']Whatever happened to community spirit among musicians?[/quote]

I shot it.

Seriously there has only been a few gigs when we haven't borrowed/lent a drum kit and the only time we haven't was once with the Rock It Dogs because there drummer has a custom huge bass drum so that's fair enough and (i know we have all had this) 15 year olds with rich parents stroll in with a rack kit.

Anyone can borrow my cab but my head and bass are off limits.

[quote name='Wil' post='318940' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:09 PM']Whatever happened to community spirit among musicians?[/quote]

I think that needs to go both ways though.
If you lend something to someone and they damage it then its those who are destroying the community spirit.
If they turn up without gear and expect to use yours, again, where's their CS?

I think most people here have had a bad experience at some point and i can see why they now say no. Its not their fault, its the other person abusing their gear that makes people more weary about lending stuff.

Thats how i see it anyway.

If community spirit involves the other bands standing round outside the venue during your set slagging you off before miraculously appearing at the side of the stage during your last song, holding their guitars and ready to turf you off the very second the final chords of your set have decayed and offering the ubiquitous 'great set, really loved it' whilst they get in your way whilst you try and pack up, then I think it's alive and well.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='319108' date='Oct 31 2008, 03:09 PM']If community spirit involves the other bands standing round outside the venue during your set slagging you off before miraculously appearing at the side of the stage during your last song, holding their guitars and ready to turf you off the very second the final chords of your set have decayed and offering the ubiquitous 'great set, really loved it' whilst they get in your way whilst you try and pack up, then I think it's alive and well.[/quote]

Cynical you? never.

I know exactly what you mean though.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='319108' date='Oct 31 2008, 03:09 PM']If community spirit involves the other bands standing round outside the venue during your set slagging you off before miraculously appearing at the side of the stage during your last song, holding their guitars and ready to turf you off the very second the final chords of your set have decayed and offering the ubiquitous 'great set, really loved it' whilst they get in your way whilst you try and pack up, then I think it's alive and well.[/quote]

Priceless! :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='318732' date='Oct 30 2008, 11:35 PM']You weren't that good the first time to be honest :huh:

Reminds me, we need to sort out 15th. My turn to bring the gear??

S[/quote]

Only if I can trash it during the last song! :)

Cheers Steve, will save me a lugging!!

I don't mind lending my amp, as long as they ask before hand - I will refuse to let people use my gear if they haven't bothered to ask beforehand, especially when I know the promoter has given them my mobile no. in order to sort out what was going on with backline - How hard is it to pick up the f**king phone!!!

It's been a long time since I've done any gear sharing, but I'd be happy to in principle. But it would have to be prearranged, and all of the bassists involved would have to be willing not just to share, but to offer up their gear for sharing, and then we decide which would be the best bet.

I have a bass which I bought specifically for lending out - this is at the Roadhouse open mic night, where I'm the house bassist, and traditionally the bass has been supplied. As I tend to take just about anything except a 4-string fretted bass along, I picked one up that was a decent bass but which I wouldn't mind getting a little battle scarring (although it's not a Fender, so the finish will last more than five minutes anyway). I would lend my good basses to a very small subset of the bassists I know, and to none that I don't.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='319403' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:34 PM']In terms of [i]'you break it, you pay for it' [/i]there seems to be an assumption that the person involved has the means to pay, and more importantly - the inclination to pay.[/quote]

There's a simpler, older rule which most people seem to understand: "[i]you break it, I break you[/i]". :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='321599' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:11 AM']There's a simpler, older rule which most people seem to understand: "[i]you break it, I break you[/i]". :)[/quote]

This is the part i would be more worried about. A few dings or buckle mark on the back of my bass isn't breaking anything so how can I put a value on that?
It would certainly upset me more than a scratch on my rig but i doubt i could charge someone for a re spray etc. Thats why my bass, no matter how much it costs is out of bounds.
Any marks, scratches, dings etc on my bass should be made by me. That way i can beat myself up.

Bloke: Can I have a go on your bass.

Me: Only if I can have a go on your woman.

I lent my Mark Bass rig for the Gasfest last week - I knew all the bassists, I plugged everyone in, I controlled how the amp was used (It was all getting DI'd anyway) and that was fine.

Anyone else - over my rotting corpse.

I used to have no problems lending my rig, but when you go through the settings, explaining the gain knob and then see the red overload light blinking more on than off through their set, that pisses me off.

Then we had some advice from an industry insider type. He said "Imagine that some record company guy is there to see you (unknown to you) and you've lent your kit out, it gets broken, and you've got no gear to impress them through." That made me think twice. I have still lent it, but I've been more wary since.

Now I've downsized to a small combo, I'll bring mine to every gig I play!

[quote name='ardi100' post='321853' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:04 PM'][b]I used to have no problems lending my rig[/b], but when you go through the settings, explaining the gain knob and then see the red overload light blinking more on than off through their set, that pisses me off.

Then we had some advice from an industry insider type. He said "Imagine that some record company guy is there to see you (unknown to you) and you've lent your kit out, it gets broken, and you've got no gear to impress them through." That made me think twice. I have still lent it, but I've been more wary since.

Now I've downsized to a small combo, I'll bring mine to every gig I play![/quote]
Yeah, then you went and sold it to me, who knows how long its going to last :)
Zach

[quote name='ardi100' post='322107' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:49 PM']Woops!!! (Nervous laughter. . . ) never had any problems, though![/quote]
Excellent. Haven't had a chance to try it yet seeing as i don't have the cab yet, but it should be here by tomorrow, ready for some extreme loud stuff lol.
Zach