Why become a member? ×

Definitive thread on kit-sharing...

Telebass

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='318950' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:19 PM']I shot it.

Seriously there has only been a few gigs when we haven't borrowed/lent a drum kit and the only time we haven't was once with the Rock It Dogs because there drummer has a custom huge bass drum so that's fair enough and (i know we have all had this) 15 year olds with rich parents stroll in with a rack kit.

Anyone can borrow my cab but my head and bass are off limits.[/quote]

Even at that gig we put all our cabs together and made monster.

"stadium rock" i believe the bassist called it.

that kit was seriously nice though. built it himself.

I nearly always share cabs, 3 different backlines for the gigs we do is ridiculous. promoters hiring backline is ridiculous, most of them dont even know what backline is.

we sort it out between the bands, one band brings drums, one brings bass cabs, one brings guitar cab.

obviously theres exceptions depending on the line ups and distance and stuff.

I used to lend out my full rig, but since mr drugdealer bassist from a certain a band definitely not called HOSPITAL BOMBERS decided to turn everything up full for the whole set, ive decided im only lending cabs.

I'll only let somebody borrow my bass after we'd done a fair few gigs with them and i know they'd pay for any damage.

We nearly had a huge fight last time somebody borrowed my bass without asking.He definitely shouldnt have winked at me.

i'd happily lend out cabs to people i trust (if i had any cabs), and maybe people i dont know with a suitable deposit, but i wont lend my amp or effect to anyone and NEVER my bass

Edited by BassManKev

A little while back, I did a gig supporting a named act from the 80's and the management company rang me to ask if the bassist could use my amp as his was stuck in transit from the US? It was a friendly call and all seemed fine so I said ok.

At soundcheck, the bands guitarist turned to the bassist and said

"Wow man, your bass sounds awesome. What amp is that you're using?"

"It's some kid's (i'm 38). what's it called.... Eden or something.... Never heard of them!!"

He then went on to be generally rude and arrogant so I made a mental note to give him the f*ck off tablet if we ever met again.

Luckily, I got the chance to about 6 months later and he had to run direct into the PA which REALLY made him happy!!!

[quote name='Crikey!' post='322357' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:02 AM']Even at that gig we put all our cabs together and made monster.

"stadium rock" i believe the bassist called it.

that kit was seriously nice though. built it himself.[/quote]

That sounded awesome, if it wasn't for the sound limiter I think we could have taken teeth out

[quote name='Crikey!' post='322357' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:02 AM']I used to lend out my full rig, but since mr drugdealer bassist from a certain a band definitely not called HOSPITAL BOMBERS decided to turn everything up full for the whole set, ive decided im only lending cabs.[/quote]

That guy was a moron, I don't think he realised why it sounded so bad.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='322357' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:02 AM']I'll only let somebody borrow my bass after we'd done a fair few gigs with them and i know they'd pay for any damage.

We nearly had a huge fight last time somebody borrowed my bass without asking.He definitely shouldnt have winked at me.[/quote]

I borrow your bass, it is awesome but you play it under your chin :S

I once let a wedding photographer use my Bass for one song in return for him letting me wonder around with his camera.
Worked out well as he used one of my shots in the wedding album.
Thats the only time ive lent a bass out. Not quite on topic but thought i would post it anyway.

I don't mind that other bassists (that I personaly know) play with my amp.
If they are a friend of mine that cool and I never had any problems.

When I have to play in festivals and gig with a lot of different bands I also use a amp that no one likes :huh: and so no one will ask me to play with it :huh:

my biggest fear is always that a glass of beer or a bottle of water fall on top of the amp :)