Why become a member? ×

Your Requirements For Joining A Band

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495705453' post='3305952']
Interesting, I would have thought realistic travel time and distance would have been a common requirement

Blue
[/quote]

Great Britain is a relatively small island Blue. We don't have five time zones, just the one.

I'd be happy to travel within our region (East Midlands) if my expenses were met by the fee. I might even be happy with taking a loss if there were other benefits like experience and contacts. Further afield, I'd consider it seriously if it led to better things from the wider exposure but I'd need to be making a little off it too.

At my age starting off as if from scratch, I doubt I'll get far with the above but who knows? The Open Mic experience was good. I'll build on that for now because it means I play with a variety of people.

@ Blue, I can't see anything wrong with your list but I will remind you of the saying "beggars can't be choosers". You are listing what you've already got but not everyone is so lucky. You said yourself if the current band folded that would be it for you.

God forbid that it would ever happen but if you were forced to look for another band would you surrender some of your criteria to keep yourself in the game?

All members are keen,enthusiastic, experienced, able, available, fully independent,well versed with a can do proffesional attitude.

I have only ever found players lacking in ability to do what the band requires or any of the above to be a pain in the arse.

- music that interests me
- experienced and talented musicians (nice guys or gals would be a bonus)
- decent gear
- own transport
- gigs booked or firm contacts
- professional attitude. i don't want to be turning up to practices where everyone looks at each other wondering what to do next
- a plan. any advert that says "so yeah let's get together and jam, maybe play some gigs" gets immediately ignored

If a covers band, then a set list that shows the other musicians have a similar taste in music

If an originals band then a similar taste in music would be key,

You can work around people unless they are a total arse and for musical ability people can improve and I doubt any total novices are going to be starting a band

1. Want to be gigging, not just rehearsing.
2. No wazzocks
3. A drummer who can keep time and groove
4. Not so far up there own arses they can't enjoy themselves
5. life is too short
6. Distance not a problem as long as folding covers petrol

I had a play with a new "band" last night. The drummer and singer didn`t show and the 2 guitarists who did were bloomin shocking.

Anyway:

People with a professional attitude: songs learned, turn up and be on time.

Decent drummer

Decent kit

And a sense of humour.

If any of the above is missing, go in the direction of away.

In no particular order:[list]
[*]Nice people, who I would be happy to count as mates.
[*]No egos.
[*]Music that I will enjoy playing.
[*]Good standard of musicianship all round, but especially the drummer.
[*]Professional attitude.
[/list]

In no particular order...

1.Band is established, Gigs booked or realistic prospects
2. Good people, nobody being a d!ck to others, everyone contributes, everyone respects each other.
3. Rehearsal starts within ten mins of getting in the room, no messing
4. Competent musically
5. Don't tell me how to play my own instrument. You can suggest something, but don't tell me.
6. If it's covers there needs to be a consistent theme to the set list, not "as random as possible" but people need to know what theyre getting from a covers band, not jumping from Rage Against the Machine to the Bee Gees.
7. Enjoying the time together. If rehearsal is a chore or someone is miserable at gigs, or someone has a split personality about things it's not going to be fun. This isn't my job, but it's time I could spend with my family so let's all enjoy it for what it is

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1495727616' post='3306186']
That I like the music.

IMO pretty much everything else can be fixed later once I'm in the band, but if I don't like the music then it's definitely not for me.
[/quote]

Good point!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1495727616' post='3306186']
That I like the music.

IMO pretty much everything else can be fixed later once I'm in the band, but if I don't like the music then it's definitely not for me.
[/quote]

Yep, sums it up for me as well. Everything flows from liking the music.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1495711936' post='3306034']

@ Blue, I can't see anything wrong with your list but I will remind you of the saying "beggars can't be choosers". You are listing what you've already got but not everyone is so lucky. You said yourself if the current band folded that would be it for you.

God forbid that it would ever happen but if you were forced to look for another band would you surrender some of your criteria to keep yourself in the game?
[/quote]

Your right I was extremely lucky to find a band that met my requirements.The down side is after being in a band with all those attributes, I'm spoiled.

If my band folds I doubt I'd even look.I guess I would give up my requirement for an ace front person if they had all the others.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1495728016' post='3306193']

Yep, sums it up for me as well. Everything flows from liking the music.
[/quote]

Interesting, you'd think that would be number 1 on everyone's list. It didn't even make it anywhere on my list.

Blue

Liking the music is probably a given for most.

I accept that sometimes you have to play what others want to hear rather than that which you know you can perform better for them. I also try to play stuff that isn't really my bag to round myself off a bit. I've noticed when recording practice sessions that the tunes I especially like are not coming across as well as I think. I suppose because I like them anyway, I'm less self critical.

In a band I'd love to be in a position to choose the set in its entirety but I gather even seasoned and accomplished musicians seldom get to do that. Mine would probably be an unpopular choice anyway.

I wouldn't play something I hate unless paid to do so and even then I'd have to give it thought.

I just looked for someone who would have me, luckily I managed to rope in a few guys from work who all happen to be experienced to the tune of many years. I want people who will put effort in most of all, nothing worse than turning up for a rehearsal and having someone without much idea of what they are doing.

I must, must, must like the music we're playing.

Nobody who gets on my nerves over the course of a rehearsal / gig.

People who can play something at least halfway decent and are prepared to learn the parts.

Reliable people.

Not afraid to buy the occasional drink at the bar.

Professional attitude towards the band.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495731811' post='3306233']
Interesting, you'd think that would be number 1 on everyone's list. It didn't even make it anywhere on my list.

Blue
[/quote]

I wouldn't have expected it to be first on your list.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1495746919' post='3306369']

I wouldn't have expected it to be first on your list.
[/quote]

No, it really can't be for me. I'm in no position to have a specific music genre as a requirement.

In a perfect world we would all love to play the music we love.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1495732995' post='3306244']
Liking the music is probably a given for most.

I wouldn't play something I hate unless paid to do so and even then I'd have to give it thought.[/quote]

Pay,what your willing to play for.

That's another part of being in band I would have thought would have come up as a requirement for some.

Blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1495753475' post='3306411']
The money aspect depends on whether you're joining the band primarily to earn a living or have some fun.
[/quote]

True, however I still think I would have seen more;

"I do this for a living so a certain threshold for pay is a requirement" as well as, "I'm in this for the joy of playing music only so fun is my main requirement".

Fun has always been a strange one for me because I always have fun when I perform.

Blue

Found this. Typical vague offering.

"Experienced players looking for bass player for blues band. Average 2 gigs per month. Vocals a plus but not a necessity...professionalism and reliability is.

We have practice space so plug and play. We practice one time per week the weeks we don't play. Shoot an email to discuss or arrange audition"

There would have to be a lot of discussion to determine if they meet my requirements.

To be honest, 2 gigs a month on average sounds more like one gig a month if that.

1.How do you book your gigs

2.How many gigs have you played in the last 8 months

3.On average what do your gigs pay, what's your fee schedule.

4. Would you mind sharing the names of a few clubs or bars you play on a regular basis.

Answers to those questions would paint a clearer gigging financial picture.

Now those questions will turn a lot of bands off. That's ok, they are the type of questions I would ask any employer for a traditional 9-5 job.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495761351' post='3306431']
True, however I still think I would have seen more;

"I do this for a living so a certain threshold for pay is a requirement" as well as, "I'm in this for the joy of playing music only so fun is my main requirement".

Fun has always been a strange one for me because I always have fun when I perform.

Blue
[/quote]

You have to remember that this forum covers the whole spectrum with regard to the competence of the bass players who sign up. We have the complete novices, the struggling amateurs (myself included), the working musicians, the successful working musicians and, I would hope, one or two star players with undisputed achievements.

Pay is good but experience is better if you are climbing the ladder so to speak. I am probably not the only one who would play for the experience at my own cost if I thought it would teach me something I couldn't learn otherwise. There has been a whole topic on that if someone cares to drop the link in a later post.

Generally if you are good at something, it's fun. I get my moments playing for myself but it's shallow satisfaction playing along to recordings. The real fun is when the band gels and you are a part of it. It happened for me on a teeny weeny stage in a Dublin city pub in '86/'87. I still miss that buzz.