Why become a member? ×

RIP Chris Cornell

yorick

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1495204219' post='3302138']
Cant get my head around why someone so successful and talented, who obviously has a loving family would take their own life at 52.

Its very sad, and confusing.
[/quote]

That's mental illness for you, there's no logic.

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1495201004' post='3302107']
Guys, you're forgetting Mark Lanegan from Screaming Trees - to me, the most underrated band/vocalista from the Seattle scene
[/quote]

Totally!!

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1495204219' post='3302138']
Cant get my head around why someone so successful and talented, who obviously has a loving family would take their own life at 52.

Its very sad, and confusing.
[/quote]

That's mental health issues in a nutshell. too most people they are so hard to grasp that those suffering from them feel even more isolated and misunderstood.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1495206764' post='3302174']
That's mental health issues in a nutshell. too most people they are so hard to grasp that those suffering from them feel even more isolated and misunderstood.
[/quote]

Indeed, it's not a decision or just feeling a bit under the weather. It's not just 'totally fed up with the world this week'. It's a dark demon eating away at your sensibilities that has the power to turn the world against you and you don't even realise. It can make you feel worthless, confused and tired. It will take away the enjoyment of even the most fun of hobbies. At worst, well, I don't need to say more. :(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1495208646' post='3302189']
Afaik from news reports last night he was found hanging in his hotel room by a friend that went to check on him.
[/quote]Yikes! That's going to stay with that person a while. What a horrible thing to find, worse still when it's your friend.

For those who have been moved by Chris's demise and are not aware of the many symptoms, causes, etc that mental illness brings, there is a whole BC thread devoted to it and is worth reading http://basschat.co.uk/topic/101624-depression/page__st__1020__p__3294490__hl__depression__fromsearch__1#entry3294490

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1495113254' post='3301370']
Singer of the best ever Bond theme song as well. A real shock this, 52 is no age (said at the age of 51), sad, sad news.
[/quote]

Just transcribed it for tonights gig:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242687-free-rock-pop-dots/"]Free Rock / Pop Dots[/url]

Truly sad but this seems at least to be making a little more sense of it. I really do feel for his family. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/attorney-for-chris-cornell-family-and-vicky-cornell-issue-statement-on-chris-cornells-death-300460594.html

Edited by moooper

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1495209089' post='3302196']
The last song Soundgarden played that night was Led Zep's In My Time of Dying, which was a first (I think).

After praising the Detroit crowd he said "I feel sorry for the next city"

he knew
[/quote]

We'll never really know but it does sound like it was a stellar gig and crowd. Maybe it was so good, such a euphoric experience for him that the lonely hotel room comedown took him so low that his demons had him.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1495209089' post='3302196']
The last song Soundgarden played that night was Led Zep's In My Time of Dying, which was a first (I think).

After praising the Detroit crowd he said "I feel sorry for the next city"

he knew
[/quote]

I would absolutely love to hear Chris sing that live, as sad as the subject matter is.

He had the perfect heavy rock voice, better than plant dare I say it.