Why become a member? ×

Servisol 'spray tubes'

ahpook

Anyone know where you can buy (or know the dimensions of) the drinking straw-like tubes that come with cans of Servisol switch cleaner ?

The last couple of cans I've got haven't come with them and they're highly lose-able anyhow.

If it helps, GT85 is a good contact cleaner (as well as loads of other uses)
Big can with straw currently £2 at wiggle.co.uk

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt85/?dest=1&curr=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_term=Brand&utm_campaign=UK_Brand_Manufacturers_E&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=mkwid|smo2kAjSZ_dm|pcrid|152237065428|pkw|wiggle%20gt85|pmt|e|prd|

"Not only is GT85 a powerful penetrating spray, but it also acts as a corrosion protective spray, dry film lubricant for precision parts, contact cleaner and lubricant (it is excellent for potentiometers, helping to eliminate electrical noise), water displacer, dielectric spray, high-temperature light lubricant, and a lubricant for assembly and packing"

Edited by Roland Rock

Thanks for the suggestions folks (although I'd rather use switch cleaner to clean switches rather than WD40). I emailed the folks at Servisol and they're going to send me some spare tubes as they don't supply the spray tubes any more.

Silly, really - I use the tubes almost every time I use the stuff...which is why they get lost I suppose :)

Just a thought... you may be able to use a tiddley plastic funnel, from Amazon or a pound shop. I bought one recently for summat or other. You might need an unusual amount of digital dexterity (or three hands) to apply it, though.
I agree about the straws... I've had a large can of contact cleaner for years. Where's the straw? Gawd knows...

I didn't know that they weren't doing the tubes anymore. Doesn't make sense, like you, I use the tube just about every time.

I hesitated to spend out the dosh on Servisol the first time but have to say, it was money well spent. I would take a lot of persuading to try a different product now. Use it just about every day. Today it's already been used on a P bass and an old Pacifica that I'm servicing.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1494931973' post='3299643']
I hesitated to spend out the dosh on Servisol the first time but have to say, it was money well spent.
[/quote]

Same here - Servisol is the one for me.

Maybe it's worth contacting them if you, like me, find the lack of tubes vexing.

The company's called CRC [email protected]

Maybe we could raise it as an election issue...."Britain's not going down the tubes"

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1494934671' post='3299681']
Same here - Servisol is the one for me.

Maybe it's worth contacting them if you, like me, find the lack of tubes vexing.

The company's called CRC [email protected]

Maybe we could raise it as an election issue...."Britain's not going down the tubes"
[/quote]

Cheers for that :lol:

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1494926796' post='3299574']
Thanks for the suggestions folks (although I'd rather use switch cleaner to clean switches rather than WD40). I emailed the folks at Servisol and they're going to send me some spare tubes as they don't supply the spray tubes any more.

Silly, really - I use the tubes almost every time I use the stuff...which is why they get lost I suppose :)
[/quote]

In fairness, they are not retained very well. The idea that you can just pop them back into the elastic band around the can is fine when new but the rubber perishes very quickly if you get fluid on it. Maybe someone will remedy that one day...

I make a hole in the side of the lid, cut the straw down to half length and leave it permanently installed in the spray head.
Just poke the stub of straw through the hole to replace the lid.
Works a treat!
WD40 isn't meant for electronic contact cleaning, and longer term will lead to worse burning on the contacts. Servisol all the way for pots!

Is there anything that lasts longer than Servisol? I find it works great, but after about 6 months the pot is back to how it was. (I know I should replace it, it's on the todo list, and has been for years now)

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494917429' post='3299477']
Have you considered just using WD40? Its moisture displacement properties may stop you needing switch cleaner in the first place. Observe basic precautions of course.
[/quote]

I wouldn't. Long term it ends up trapping dirt and making matters worse.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1494943189' post='3299811']
Is there anything that lasts longer than Servisol? I find it works great, but after about 6 months the pot is back to how it was. (I know I should replace it, it's on the todo list, and has been for years now)
[/quote]

Turn your knobs all the way anti-clockwise when you turn off your amp/bass. The scratches are often from where the contact sits on the track leaving dirt and starting corrosion.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1495005919' post='3300287']
Turn your knobs all the way anti-clockwise when you turn off your amp/bass. The scratches are often from where the contact sits on the track leaving dirt and starting corrosion.
[/quote]

Thanks. I shall try that.

• 6 years later...

1)The WD40 FLIP-UP Type top fits the SERVISOL Aerosol (If your worried about cross contamination buy two small WD40 Cans use one on the SERVISOL CAN, and just swap the one you've been using on the WD40 can over when empty to the new WD40 can.

2)The cotton Bud Plastic tube Method = Drill a hole in a spray nozzle either in the SERVISOL'S nozzle or scrounge nozzle that fits the cotton bud tube and fit tube.

OR 3) I found that if you have any  STP Carb cleaner this has a small spigot like straw about 20mm long that will fit the SERVISOL CAN and the cotton bud tube. 

PS. Don't forget to cut the cotton off of the buds LOL

• Like 1