Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy a short scale, got about £400, what to get?

markdavid

Am expecting to receive some money in the next couple of weeks and have decided to get another short scale bass, will have about £400 and wondered what is good for this amount?
I currently have the Squier jaguar ss and Fender mustang pj bass so not looking for another pj bass, i mostly use flatwounds now and would describe my tone as old school but growly.
Am currently considering the Chowny swb1 and the Epiphone Allen woody rumblekat.

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1494184848' post='3293897']
Thanks for the suggestions, the Chowny chb1 is a good suggestion but i am wondering how much of the growl from tree strings it will keep, for that reason i am edging towards the Chowny swb1 which has j pickups
[/quote]

My first thought was the Swb. That would be my first choice.

Edited by Grangur

I've got the original SWB-1 it's a good bass and spot on for the money. I have tried it with flats and liked it but stuck to Platinum nickel wounds from Newtone who made me a set of short scale strings (ACG of this parish also use Newtone).

Thanks for the input is so hard to choose, on the one hand I would like a bass that I can still get a bit of growl from, on the other hand something hollow or semi hollow would be cool to get that kind of plummy McCartney kind of tone and it would be cool to have something very different from my other basses.
Have wanted a Hofner for ages but kind of concerned as they have a reputation for being a bit fragile and cheap feeling, could pick up a used Hofner CT bass which is supposed to be a step up from the Ignition but I wonder how close it comes to the proper hollow body tone being a bass with a centre block? The Epiphone Allen Woody looks cool but my concern with that is the crappy Epiphone 3 point bridge (they have a tendency to pull away from the body), I think maybe I need to spend an afternoon in Denmark street and just play a shed load of basses

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1494262505' post='3294493']
Thanks for the input is so hard to choose, on the one hand I would like a bass that I can still get a bit of growl from, on the other hand something hollow or semi hollow would be cool to get that kind of plummy McCartney kind of tone and it would be cool to have something very different from my other basses.
Have wanted a Hofner for ages but kind of concerned as they have a reputation for being a bit fragile and cheap feeling, could pick up a used Hofner CT bass which is supposed to be a step up from the Ignition but I wonder how close it comes to the proper hollow body tone being a bass with a centre block? The Epiphone Allen Woody looks cool but my concern with that is the crappy Epiphone 3 point bridge (they have a tendency to pull away from the body), I think maybe I need to spend an afternoon in Denmark street and just play a shed load of basses
[/quote]
I had the same thought regarding the Hofner CT and the centre block. I opted for the cheaper Ignition, which doesn't have the centre block. I haven't regretted the decision.

Edited by James Nada

+1 for the SWB-1 (I've got one) and Ibanez Talman TMB30 (I've had one) - both excellent. The Ibanez looks/sounds/feels more classic 'old school' and balances better while the Chowny is a cut above quality-wise (as you'd expect from the price) with a cleaner, more neutral sound - you'd need to pay the £100 premium for the active version if you wanted a broader tonal range.

Am considering a Hofner , either a Violin or a Club bass (they seem to be essentially the same thign just in different shapes) but common sense tells me I should not blind buy one, anybody know anywhere in London where these are stocked so I can try one out at the weekend? Thanks

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1494760839' post='3298334']
Where in London are you based? I have one you can try if it's convenient.
[/quote] thank you for the offer, i ended up buying a Violin bass copy by Vintage as i loved the feel and tone but thank you anyway,really got the itch to get more violin basses now lol

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1494955097' post='3299953']
thank you for the offer, i ended up buying a Violin bass copy by Vintage as i loved the feel and tone but thank you anyway,really got the itch to get more violin basses now lol
[/quote]

Indeed - I love mine and am now constantly looking out for vintage examples...

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1494111761' post='3293409']
You gotta get the [url="http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/bass/g2220-electromatic-junior-jet-bass-ii-short-scale-bass-black"]Gretsch Jet Jr[/url] for a coupe of hundred quid. It is a stunner and sounds great:

[/quote]

I had a single pu one. And they are very good instruments. Nice neck and with decent strings have excellent tone.