Why become a member? ×

The mysterious D string

bonzodog

Played a gig last night at a place we had done a few times. I was using a new MIM jazz bass. I always have flats on my basses but this came with rounds so i left them on to try out. Great gig and good overall sound, however when i played anything on the D string i couldnt hear the notes cutting through and it appeared half the volume to the other strings. When i played on my own inbetween songs it sounded fine and it sounded ok in the my generation solo. Whenever the band kicked back in I seemed to lose all volume on the D string with both fingers and pick. Unfortunately i didnt have my other bass to compare and my Eq was set flat as it always is. I dont think its a dud string as it sounded fine on its own I just wonder if it was down to room acoustics.If i played the equivalent notes on the A string it was fine. Very odd!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1491684933' post='3274834']
Were you playing on the D string around the 3rd to 7th frets? Many jazz basses suffer from dead spots low down on the D string. I have even heard of some people increasing the headstock mass to correct it.
[/quote]

Interestingly yes it was. Will see if the same happens at our gig this weekend and will also take my VM jazz to compare

Never heard of the Fathead, but I used a Groove tubes fatfinger to remove the effects of a deadspot at the 5th fret of the G string on a jazz bass.

Could the lack of volume when the band is playing due to another band member's stomping over the frequencies - such as a bass drum with boosted eq going through the PA or a guitar that sounds great on its own, but doesn't just occupy its own part of the frequency spectrum and has too much boost on the lows and low mids?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1495388135' post='3303401']
Just reading this thread and it occurred to me that in my current band I only use the D twice. A two hour set of covers and I hardly touch it. Mind you, I don't use the G at all...
[/quote]

The G string is only there for playing All right Now. :D

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1495388135' post='3303401']
Just reading this thread and it occurred to me that in my current band I only use the D twice. A two hour set of covers and I hardly touch it. Mind you, I don't use the G at all...
[/quote]

Pretty much the same for me, I prefer to use the A string for notes above D, as being thicker, and over the bassier part of the pickup on my Precision, the notes have more depth to them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1495395576' post='3303471']
Pretty much the same for me, I prefer to use the A string for notes above D, as being thicker, and over the bassier part of the pickup on my Precision, the notes have more depth to them.
[/quote]

that's why I've always been a fan of reverse P pickups. Had them in a few old Yamahas I've owned over the years (still got one) and in a quirky old Polish custom job. The tone is more consistent as you cross strings, D and G are more honky anyway, so their part of the pickup counteracts that a little, being closer to the neck.