Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck live on BBC4 now...

urb

I know this is a bass forum and there'll be plenty of comments re. Tal but it has to be said JB is one phenomenal guitarist!

I can't think of many guitarists that can still cut it now as good/better than they did 'way back when'. I'm not saying he's 'good for his age' or anything ageist like that, he is fantastic; full stop but when you do draw comparisons with his peers you have to agree he is special... yes?

would it be very inapriate for me to slip in a cheeky advertisement?

if anyone is a particular fan of jeff neck i have for sale a modulus flea, previously owned by his bassist randy hope taylor; [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30311"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30311[/url]

sorry for interrupting the thread

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='314173' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:37 PM']I know this is a bass forum and there'll be plenty of comments re. Tal but it has to be said JB is one phenomenal guitarist!

I can't think of many guitarists that can still cut it now as good/better than they did 'way back when'. I'm not saying he's 'good for his age' or anything ageist like that, he is fantastic; full stop but when you do draw comparisons with his peers you have to agree he is special... yes?[/quote]

IMVHO - he's f***in' awesome - it's not what he plays - it's [i]how[/i] he plays it - so expressive and makes every note count - very rare for any guitarist.

Vinnie and Tal are a great rhythm section - she's a really good bass player - just laying in that groove - while Vinnie is...well, ridiculous.

M

kudos to him and all for being what he is but I didn't connect with it. If he played less notes I might have appreciated it more I think. I was impressed with Tal though, she's a good player. Sensitive and she's got impeccable timing. The runs she played with Jeff matched him perfectly.

Thats it just finished.I agree with the Kiwi,it was a teensy bit yawny,but the breaks with J Stone and I Heap and especially yer man at the end,I think made up for it.But Beck is a very inventive guitarist and the bit when he used the slide to play harmonics over the pups had me intrigued.But Tal,well,no solo but she was a joy to watch and her and Vinnie are a powerhouse rhythm section.Thanx BBC!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='314193' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:00 PM']kudos to him and all for being what he is but I didn't connect with it. If he played less notes I might have appreciated it more I think. I was impressed with Tal though, she's a good player. Sensitive and she's got impeccable timing. The runs she played with Jeff matched him perfectly.[/quote]

Fair enough - but I actually think he plays waaaaay less notes than so many other lesser guitarists - it's what he can do with one note that impresses me - his tone, his amazing and his control is exceptional - he gets way more out of a simple blues phrase than a million shedders put together... just my take on it - if it's not you bag, it's not your bag. I'm not a fan of many rock guitarists - I love Bill Frisell, John Scofield and mr noodle himself John McLaughlin - but Beck is in a league of his own - sorry but I think he's stunning.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='314202' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:10 PM']Save starting another thread, Quenn with Paul Rodgers are on Al murrys's happy hour now.[/quote]

And there's another thing!

Queen. On Al Murry's Happy Hour.

C'mon, Roger'n'Brian. If you're going to gamble on the good name, at least TRY and maintain a bit of cred.

I watched it, and whilst its not my cup of tea musically, its great to see someone as experienced as he is still enjoying his music so much. I think its fascinating how much effort he puts into the attack/tone/timbre of each and every note. My 10 year old loved it.

Bass player was great too - excellent timing.

I was surprised when i tuned in to watch JB, to see the bass player,being so young,(well most are young to me)playing with him...and must say very impressed with how she grooved with the music..i think as it went on his playing grew on me,and there was some pretty interesting stuff going on,with the keys and drums,awsome IMO.
Not sure if it was my telly sound or my hearing,but i thought the bass was low in the mix,and JB and co drowned it out more often than not :)

[quote]Not sure if it was my telly sound or my hearing,but i thought the bass was low in the mix,and JB and co drowned it out more often than not[/quote]
It was yer typical telly mix - ie: Crap!

The guitar was just too high in the mix.

What does surprise me, is that JB would most probably have heard it before transmission - and OKd it.

Nevertheless, enjoyed the show - thought he was on great form.

Steve

[quote name='urb' post='314204' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:13 PM']Beck is in a league of his own - sorry but I think he's stunning.[/quote]
I'm with you on that. Not many guitarist are "jaw dropping" in my opinion. There are many that are technically brilliant, but I think emotion can say a lot more than technicality sometimes (plus, he IS very good technically too).

If I was a guitarist, he'd definitely be the one I'd be aspiring to.

OK time for controversy. Now I like JB in fact one the best gigs I ever went to was when he played The Hammy Odeon in the '80s (OK it's the Apollo now) on the There & Back tour. Most of the stuff he played at the Ronnies Scott's gig was from that album and frankly he was better back when he used a pick and left the whammy alone. As for Tal I couldn't see that she did anything that any intermediate couldn't do, the first number seemed to be just an open E and F# vamp, not that you could hear her very well (or anyone else for that matter including Vinnie) as the guitar was way too loud in the mix. What really got my goat was that normally the bass player rarely gets any camera love, but just because she's a girl and is young she lots of camera time. I've seen her stuff on You Tube and yeah she's good, but really if she was a bloke there would be half the fuss and if she was 3 years older hardly anyone would know she existed.

On a positive note I thought that Imogen Heap was great (when you could hear her, same goes for Joss Stone) with a great rhythm section groove going on.

JB's been better, but even when he's bad he is still a better technician than EC or a host of others for that matter.

As ever this is my opinion, YMMV, balh, blah, blah, etc.