Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Whilst searching YouTube for decent videos of the BBP34 (or even just one) I came across this old one of James Lomenzo bigging up the laminated quartersawn neck of the BB2024. At one point he says "....most of your tone comes from the neck...." which would be an enjoyable bomb to drop into a TB tonewood squabble ;) but he also makes a connection between neck stability and the immediacy of a note's tone

If I can ever work out how to use my recording setup, I’ll get a little demo of my new BBP uploaded (not sure on the decent aspect though 🤣)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, willsp said:

If I can ever work out how to use my recording setup, I’ll get a little demo of my new BBP uploaded (not sure on the decent aspect though 🤣)

Something I like about this very modest one is that the three basic tones all sound like they're cut from the same cloth – the split is more bassy, the bridge more trebly, obviously, but beyond that the tone is remarkably consistent.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
flipping typos 😔

On 14/09/2021 at 17:04, Reggaebass said:

Cool avatar Ricky ☝️

I didn't like my original avatar being turned into the background for our identity-subsuming badges, so I thought if the badge is at the forefront, may as well have a background to match. Five minutes of playing with Snapseed and TA-DAH!

edit, another five minute fiddle later:

Screenshot_20210916-163247_Chrome-01.jpeg.0eca71b337fa638dd3f15226e944a31d.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I didn't like my original avatar being turned into the background for our identity-subsuming badges, so I thought if the badge is at the forefront, may as well have a background to match. Five minutes of playing with Snapseed and TA-DAH!

edit, another five minute fiddle later:

Screenshot_20210916-163247_Chrome-01.jpeg.0eca71b337fa638dd3f15226e944a31d.jpeg

That’s well cool Ricky ☝️

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Hmm.

no.

although since playing your 425…could be tempted 

Debating the SB…🤦🏻‍♂️

BB1600 on eBay. Offered £650, and got a £950 offer back. It’s not happening 

Will be waiting a long time to get £950 for it! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Hmm.

no.

although since playing your 425…could be tempted 

Debating the SB…🤦🏻‍♂️

BB1600 on eBay. Offered £650, and got a £950 offer back. It’s not happening 

I think he'd been having a smoke when he set the price 😂

• Haha 1

Would the parallel between a BB NE2 and a BB 2005 be a BB 2025 and a BB 425?

I didn't suggest the BB 1025 as it seems to be almost identically spec'd to the 2025 - I've never understood Yamaha's price differential on those two models! 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Would the parallel between a BB NE2 and a BB 2005 be a BB 2025 and a BB 425?

I didn't suggest the BB 1025 as it seems to be almost identically spec'd to the 2025 - I've never understood Yamaha's price differential on those two models! 

It was the wood treatments and the ‘Made in Japan’ angle I think?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, krispn said:

It was the wood treatments and the ‘Made in Japan’ angle I think?

Yes agreed, as discussed at length on here previously.

But the fact one costs three times as much(!) as the other for sonic wood treatment to give it a "played-in feel", which should come naturally anyway from playing the bass in, and being MIJ instead of Indonesia, still makes no sense to me. And it never will - which is why I have a 1025 and not a 2025. But there you go! 

Edited by Al Krow

I guess folk have paid more or similar prices for 'off the shelf' basses without the voodoo and treatments and don't bat an eyelid. If it's inperceptable differences it's hard to justify the additional cost for sure and possibly why Yamaha don't have such an esoterically priced model in the new range? I think the BBP has some of the treatment and they're much less expensive comapratively. A quick look at Bass Direct and the new cost of a Lull, Dingwall, Elrick, Spector MTD etc are 3k+ and they don't have any special treatment? I'd begin to be feeling hard done by that they didn't have some voodoo for that money:) and a noisy bridge pick up!

Edited by krispn
Bants

@Ricky Rioli not really sure of the point you're making - are you saying you'd rather get a BB 2024/5 instead of a BB 1024/5, despite it costing three times as much for a pretty identical piece of kit? You're of course very welcome to, but not something I would ever do.

I would, however, spend more than the cost of a BB 2024/5 on a Ken Smith every day of the week.

Edited by Al Krow

The 2024/5 and 1024/5 have identical woods, pups, preamps and design. 

If you can hear the difference between a 2024/5 and 1024/5 in a blind test, then good for you. In the hands of the same bass player in a band mix I certainly never could! And you're welcome to spend 3 times as much on one, as the other.

Maria Callas and KJ have completely different set of vocal chords. You could just as easily compare Mick Jagger with Paul McCartney singing the same tune or any two well known vocalists - we'd be able to tell them apart in a band mix no trouble at all. It's a pointless comparison.