Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

22 minutes ago, Maude said:

EA side is only around half a pickups width further towards the bridge, as the whole unit moved towards the neck after the reverse, so hadn't really changed that much. A tad more focused maybe but that could be in my head. 

That sounds likely to me - I find on its own the neck pickup of my 424 very soft toned and biteless

• Like 1

I have a reverse P and there is a more positive impact on the skinny strings. It’s mayhaps that there’s more balance across the four strings. I do notice that my reverse P needs very little done to it to sound good. Comparing it to the higher output on the 424 the RP definitely ‘fits in’ better where as the 424 is quite strident in the low end. It’s easily fixed but I notice it when swapping between basses. I guess that’s one of the qualities of the 424 but I’d I were swapping between it and say my RP bass is likey have to make some adjustments at the amp. I’m not likely to have two basses at a gig so it’s not really an issue. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

That sounds likely to me - I find on its own the neck pickup of my 424 very soft toned and biteless

Interesting you're finding that - if I remember correctly, you posted a little while back about a getting a 1024 as a possible alternative? The 1024 pups are harmonically richer / more complex than the flatter 424 pups - it's the key difference between the two basses for me. Makes me wonder whether a 1024 might be just the ticket for you rather than a 424.

I thought folks were of the opinion they 424 had a bit of a rougher sound with the 1024 being more refined. I’m no expert but compared to a regular p and a solo neck J (my J has Nordstrand split 51’s which are basically classic 51 p pick ups in a jazz housing) the 424 has a greater low end and output and not tame at all

• Like 1

More refined in the sense that a complex red wine is considered more "refined" than plonk. 

But more complex harmonically vs flatter better captures the difference for me. And more complex harmonics will generally cut through more. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting you're finding that - if I remember correctly, you posted a little while back about a getting a 1024 as a possible alternative? The 1024 pups are harmonically richer / more complex than the flatter 424 pups - it's the key difference between the two basses for me. Makes me wonder whether a 1024 might be just the ticket for you rather than a 424.

I've a theory that a more interesting neck pickup would sod up the tonal balance it creates with the bridge pickup, and I definitely dont want that to happen. Effectively I'm using the two pickups to make a one sound instrument and that's fine by me. The combination of strings and pickups as they are seemingly allows me to get a wide range of tone and dynamics from varying my touch, like on a piano. 

My P with a Dimarzio Model P pickup, on the other hand, makes a fantastic characterful sound, but one that isn't so flexible: it needs playing in a certain way to sing out, and if I try to vary my touch and play more expressively, the tone doesn't follow me, it just falls away.

I like having the choice.

• Like 3

I just wouldn’t describe the 424 as a ‘flat’ sounding bass. It’s very extended in the low end and generally I’ve found it to be hotter than my other basses. The bridge pick up being quite strong too. Everyone seems to talk about it’s ‘punchy’ character. When payed against my jazz with allon the 424 again sounds to be much deeper in the lows too. 

Like I say I’ve not compared them side by side but I guess we all have different ears.

The 424 does a great both on sound and I’d agree that it’s strength is in the pj mode with the tone knob doing a touch of taming as needed. The solo p doesn’t work as well for me as my p bass but it’s a different weapon and I can see both working in their respective context. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed - looks like a normal one. Take it out and check the middle and end connectors arent' shorted out.

- edit

ok a fraction too early so you did. Inside that black body you should see the actual pins. If you have a meter check that the connectors aren't shorting out. If you don't, watch it when you put a plug in and check when the plug goes out they arent touching

Here's a shot of the socket with the jack in... 

Just reread you're last comment... I'll check they arent touching when I remove the jack...

The red wire goes to the light which is connected to the bulb holder by a little connector...

20210906_173126.jpg

20210906_173456.jpg

57 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’ve found it to be hotter than my other basses. The bridge pick up being quite strong too. Everyone seems to talk about it’s ‘punchy’ character. When payed against my jazz with allon the 424 again sounds to be much deeper in the lows too.

I’ve found exactly the same with my 1024, I was playing my US jazz and left all the amp settings the same , the 1024 was quite a bit louder and considerably deeper on the bass front, I wouldn’t say it was better, just different 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I just wouldn’t describe the 424 as a ‘flat’ sounding bass. It’s very extended in the low end and generally I’ve found it to be hotter than my other basses. The bridge pick up being quite strong too. Everyone seems to talk about it’s ‘punchy’ character. When payed against my jazz with allon the 424 again sounds to be much deeper in the lows too. 

Like I say I’ve not compared them side by side but I guess we all have different ears.

The 424 does a great both on sound and I’d agree that it’s strength is in the pj mode with the tone knob doing a touch of taming as needed. The solo p doesn’t work as well for me as my p bass but it’s a different weapon and I can see both working in their respective context. 

Not disagreeing with this; I think we often use different words / expressions to describe the same sounds. "Flat" doesn't equate to lame in my terminology - the 424 IS hugely punchy! But its pups are not as harmonically rich as the 1024s (or more accurately 425 / 1025 in my case). 

I have A/B'd them side by side, but only at home not in a band mix. 

• Like 1