Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve just intonated the bridge before anyone says anything 🤣

I just about to do the same to my reverse 424. Just need to set the action and intonation, but it's already pretty good and sounds great. 

KdSpBV9.jpg

• Like 4

On 28/08/2021 at 17:29, Maude said:

Of course there's sunshine, 's Cornwall innit. 🤔😆

Black scratchplate I'm afraid, predictable but suits a white BB perfectly. I've gone for solid black rather than three ply black/white/black though, I like the retroness of a solid plate, plus the BB X's are busy enough without an extra white line. 

7t1qhDT.jpg

Here's the pickup surround flipped over, it hasn't got as nice a finish but it's perfectly acceptable. 

OHBv0di.jpg

A quick mock up of the all new BB424XR, will rebuild tonight or tomorrow. 

TIwbXVv.jpg

Looks soooo much better with pups the correct way round 😉 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

My Yamaha BBPH seems to have developed a fault... the battery light stays on and drains the battery... the first time it happened I presumed it was dodgy battery that came with it... I've put a new battery in and the light stays on as you can see...anyone else had this ????

Probably the jack socket has shorted out so it is on all the time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Any ideas how to sort it???

I don't know what sort of socket it is. If it is a surface one, then you can probably bend the pins back, but if it is a barrel one (that are notoriously unreliable) there isn't that much you can do other than replacing it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't know what sort of socket it is. If it is a surface one, then you can probably bend the pins back, but if it is a barrel one (that are notoriously unreliable) there isn't that much you can do other than replacing it.

Does this help....probably not as I imagine you'd need to see the inner workings...

20210905_180825.jpg

8 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Does this help....probably not as I imagine you'd need to see the inner workings...

20210905_180825.jpg

I'd guess that's a normal one which you could bend the connectors on, being that it's mounted in a plate like that. A barrel one is usually mounted in a single hole bored through the side of the body. 

23 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'd guess that's a normal one which you could bend the connectors on, being that it's mounted in a plate like that. A barrel one is usually mounted in a single hole bored through the side of the body. 

Agreed - looks like a normal one. Take it out and check the middle and end connectors arent' shorted out.

- edit

ok a fraction too early so you did. Inside that black body you should see the actual pins. If you have a meter check that the connectors aren't shorting out. If you don't, watch it when you put a plug in and check when the plug goes out they arent touching

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2021 at 18:42, Maude said:

I just about to do the same to my reverse 424. Just need to set the action and intonation, but it's already pretty good and sounds great. 

KdSpBV9.jpg

Please may we have a report on how different the neck pickup is sounding now? Both on its own and combined with the bridge?

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Please may we have a report on how different the neck pickup is sounding now? Both on its own and combined with the bridge?

I didn't really play it much after it arrived before ripping it apart, I knew I wanted a reverse P. 

The EA side is only around half a pickups width further towards the bridge, as the whole unit moved towards the neck after the reverse, so hadn't really changed that much. A tad more focused maybe but that could be in my head. 

The DG though is a world of difference, much fuller and warmer sounding. 

That slightly underwhelming, tinny G string that you usually get on a P, actually most basses, is now a full on meaty G. It just balances much better. In fact I need to lower the DG and raise the EA as it's now, if anything, slightly overpowering. But I think that's just getting the pickup heights set properly as it's all in fresh holes now. 

I think it will really come into its own in a band setting where normally the G gets a little lost. 

The Who's 'The Real Me' should sound epic now. 

• Like 2