Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking about going up a few quality levels from my bb414. I really like the pj tone, passive electronics, basically the bb414 but up a few levels in materials/ feel. Guessing I’m looking at 424x, 1024 models. Have I got this right?

Budget up to 650+ whatever the bb414 is worth. Black model, upgraded bridge, good condition.  

29 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

I’m thinking about going up a few quality levels from my bb414. I really like the pj tone, passive electronics, basically the bb414 but up a few levels in materials/ feel. Guessing I’m looking at 424x, 1024 models. Have I got this right?

Budget up to 650+ whatever the bb414 is worth. Black model, upgraded bridge, good condition.  

424x isn’t far off the same as 414. Having owned both at the same time…the 414 stayed.

The necks are subtly deeper, and pickups are the same.

1024x I had in caramel was a beauty…still not 100% sure why I sold that. I do remember thinking the pickups were woolier/warmer than the 414 and at the time I wanted spanky bright sounds - in my current band, i suspect the 1024 would work wonderfully.

Quality wise - it was “nicer” but definitely not twice as good (for twice the price).

• Like 1

Having owned all the models you mentioned, I found I preferred the BB414. Slightly slimmer neck. They all sound very similar, with no massive " wow that sounds much better " moment.

There all really good which ever one you decide on. 

• Like 2

First practice with the BB734. When I got it out everyone looked concerned that I’d replaced the Schecter J4 but as soon as I stated playing and they all agreed it was a keeper. They’re a tough crowd to win other with bass acquisitions so that’s a pretty big win. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jonno1981 said:

Fascinating replies thank you. Very helpful to hear the X isn’t much of an upgrade. 

The X in the models number only means it has the pickguard and chrome control plate. It's a purely cosmetic change, ie the 1024 is the same as the 1024x just without pickguard and control plate. 

I much prefer the look of the X but others don't, horses for courses. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tjhooker said:

So what's the general opinion then .. that the 2000 offerings of 415, 615 and the passive version are as good as the newer models then?

Is it the 80's Japanese stuff that really stands out as better?

I have 614/414

ive owned 424/424x/1024x as well as the older 1100/1600 etc.

The older ones are amazing, I regret selling the 1100s in sunburst, the 1600 in natural still kills me that it’s gone…

Never entertained the 434 etc.

Although my local pmt have a lovely p34 in blue burst and I got the glad eye quickly.

didnt play it because I didn’t have the £1200 or whatever it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

The X in the models number only means it has the pickguard and chrome control plate. It's a purely cosmetic change, ie the 1024 is the same as the 1024x just without pickguard and control plate. 

I much prefer the look of the X but others don't, horses for courses. 

How did I miss this! Thanks! Yes I prefer the x as well but not a massive factor for me. 

Well, I know you want a PJ, but the BB1200 I bought recently is stellar - the PJ equivalent would be the BB2000 but that might be out of budget.  I much prefer the older BBs to the newer ones - they've done something odd to the proportions and feel of the newest ones (23x, 43x, 73x, P3x) that I can't exactly put my finger on but I just don't get it.  For reference I had a BB434 but it just didn't feel right to me.

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Well, I know you want a PJ, but the BB1200 I bought recently is stellar - the PJ equivalent would be the BB2000 but that might be out of budget.  I much prefer the older BBs to the newer ones - they've done something odd to the proportions and feel of the newest ones (23x, 43x, 73x, P3x) that I can't exactly put my finger on but I just don't get it.  For reference I had a BB434 but it just didn't feel right to me.

theyre slightly narrower - like someone’s skewed a photo…

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

theyre slightly narrower - like someone’s skewed a photo…

I think I’ve said this before and been corrected. They “look” narrower or something.

i don’t know - the 414 sounds and looks like a 1600, the 1600 to me is peak BB. I played a couple of 3000’s and they’re less exciting than I thought.

The 1600 was easily the best bolt on bass I’ve ever played. So stupid to sell it. STUPID

I think the pickups in the 43X series are a huge improvement on the 41X and 42X series (unpopular opinion I know), wish I hadn't sold my 435.

Personally I have a soft spot for the late 90's/early 2000's BB's, here's my BBN5 I customised

IMG_20200412_180243_617.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think I’ve said this before and been corrected. They “look” narrower or something.

i don’t know - the 414 sounds and looks like a 1600, the 1600 to me is peak BB. I played a couple of 3000’s and they’re less exciting than I thought.

The 1600 was easily the best bolt on bass I’ve ever played. So stupid to sell it. STUPID

So ... Do you personally prefer bolt on to thru neck basses then?

Is this what made you hold the 1600 as the best bb?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tjhooker said:

So ... Do you personally prefer bolt on to thru neck basses then?

Is this what made you hold the 1600 as the best bb?

There’s something I got playing the 1600, a snap - when I had the 1300 (I think it’s for sale here currently) and other neck through basses I’ve owned - there’s a “bloom” or sustain to the notes you can’t kill off.

I took the 414 to a rehearsal last month - and *that* sound was back - that’s why when I sold the 1600, I knew I’d survive - the 414 is remarkably close.

i needed the cash and the 1600 Was worth a lot more money.

id have another in a shot.

After 26 years of playing/buying and 12 years of selling basses for a living (I left that world 10 years ago) - my preference is bolt on necked basses. 

All being said, my main bass currently is a set necked Gibson.

• Like 2

Whether they were better or not is a matter for conjecture, depending on what you value, but Yamaha made some top quality basses back in the day. The standout models were the BB1200, BB2000 and BB3000. All world class instruments in their own way that you've heard on countless hit records.  Myself, I've never been keen on the older active BB basses like the BB1200, the only exceptions being the NE2 and BB1500A. 

The current BB P34 is equally well-made and a superb bass in its own right but to my my taste lacks a little of the characteristic classic BB tone. I had one for a while but I found it's exceptionally clear and precise tone not that useful for my own needs.

The 20 Series basses were/are epic. Arguably the best BB basses ever, providing you like the neck profile ect. The bottom end is massive, so much so that if you turn it up loud through an amp you can feel the bass hitting you in the chest like someone prodding you.  The mids are rich and complex and the treble extends much further than on a traditional  Fender-style bass. What struck me when I first played one was how un-Fender like the sound was, despite being a passive PJ made out of very similar materials. The quality is as good as anything out there, that is except the crappy pickup selector switch. That is equally true of the vintage basses.

It's also worth mentioning that in my experience the "X" models are notably heavier than the non-X version. You wouldn't think so but the scratch plate and  metal knobs ect must add nearly half a pound

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

I think the “bb sound” is so evident on “No Doubt” and “Tragic Kingdom” by No Doubt - it’s an amazing bass sound - not harmed by Tony Kanal being an absolute monster.

If you want to hear classic BB slapped - go for “No Doubt” and finger style “Tagic Kingdom”

without a doubt (😉) it’s just his bb1600 with volume and tone wide open for the vast majority.

a 414 through a decent amp (Tony Kanal uses Gallien Kreuger) can get close.

I also have no recollection or record of who I sold my 1600 to 😞

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Misdee said:

For my taste, Tony Kanal is one of the best bass players of recent times. Such creative and interesting bass lines. 

It’s mad - if you hear “you can do it” from Tragic Kingdom, very busy but clean as a whistle, then “hella good” - like 3 notes…

he’s epic - and in my all time top 5 players.

humble and chilled too.

Dreamcar his recent project are amazing too.

• Like 5