Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 14/04/2023 at 21:59, AndyTravis said:

I wish they didn’t paint the headstocks…

I also wish they offered higher end instruments with maple fretboard. But I also agree about the headstocks. The black with black headstock might be cool, but the rest...

The new vintage white BBP34 with maple fretboard and no paint on the headstock could be my dream bass.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M@23 said:

There was a run of 2024/5 with maple fretboards. No ideas on the ratio produced, but I’ve only ever seen one come up for sale and by the time I’d called the shop to buy it, it had sold. 

Yeah - think 10 in white, 10 in sunburst and some in black 

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 1

Yes it’s rare to see Yamaha basses with maple fretboards and I always thought that early BBs’ were made with only rosewood or ebony yet there’s a nice BB1000 on eBay at the moment which has been tempting me for a while now with a maple fretboard. Just wondered if anyone has one on here, or seen one like it before? 

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah - think 10 in white, 10 in sunburst and some in black 

That’s incredible if accurate! Wonder why they’re so limited. The one I nearly snapped up was a white 2024x. Mark at BD told me it went as soon as it was live on the website. I missed it by about 10 mins. 

BB Fans! I recently got a 78 Yamaha BB1200. Great bass. Now, I would like to add a BB1200s in red to it. Preferably in good and original condition. Anyone thinking of parting with one or where I can find one? I also put a post in the "wanted items" thread. Cheers! 

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You've just seen it?  Do keep up, they've had it for months! ;)

Oh, it’s not my cup of tea, so forgive me for it flying under the radar. Great colour, and can’t be too many about though.
It’s on their IG story and if they’ve had it months there might be a deal there for somebody. 

2 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Oh, it’s not my cup of tea, so forgive me for it flying under the radar. Great colour, and can’t be too many about though.
It’s on their IG story and if they’ve had it months there might be a deal there for somebody. 

It's been on Reverb for 10 months, so, yes, a deal could probably be made, I guess. Just wonder why no one is buying it. Is it the age, the colour, the pickups, the price?

It is definitely rare (only made in 85) and apparently based on a signature bass prototype for the one and only Louis Johnson. Unfortunately, the signature bass never happened. The prototype can be seen in action here (check from 20:55)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M@23 said:

I'm only funning with you.  It's an odd fish, isn't it?  Not sure what to think about it.  That 24 fret fingerboard has been kinda jammed in there and compressed everything towards the bridge.  Lovely finish tho, I concur.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

It's been on Reverb for 10 months, so, yes, a deal could probably be made, I guess. Just wonder why no one is buying it. Is it the age, the colour, the pickups, the price?

It is definitely rare (only made in 85) and apparently based on a signature bass prototype for the one and only Louis Johnson. Unfortunately, the signature bass never happened. The prototype can be seen in action here (check from 20:55)

Interesting! Thanks for the info. 

41 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I'm only funning with you.  It's an odd fish, isn't it?  Not sure what to think about it.  That 24 fret fingerboard has been kinda jammed in there and compressed everything towards the bridge.  Lovely finish tho, I concur.

😊

yeah, odd one. Agreed, it’s all very tightly packed in the bridge-truss rod gap. I’m not that adventurous, a plain old BB fits me like a glove, but it’s an interesting article. 

3 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Interesting! Thanks for the info. 

😊

yeah, odd one. Agreed, it’s all very tightly packed in the bridge-truss rod gap. I’m not that adventurous, a plain old BB fits me like a glove, but it’s an interesting article. 

twas mine for a while and @AndyTravis before that , lovely bass and I dont understand why they are struggling to sell it

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

twas mine for a while and @AndyTravis before that , lovely bass and I dont understand why they are struggling to sell it

A'body's skint, too skint to take a chance on a deviation from the norm, it would seem.  In headier days I might have picked this up BECAUSE it is different, but right now, I can't afford to take undue risks.  About to spend £280 on the house roof/gutters, car insurance is due next month, that's another £200 set on fire, whilst everything else is getting more expensive, basses are most definitely off the menu right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

In headier days I might have picked this up BECAUSE it is different, but right now, I can't afford to take undue risks.

I nearly wrote similar earlier. That’s kinda what I meant by not my cup of tea. It’s very cool, but £1300 is too much for one that doesn’t really fit the profile. My BB P35 was a decent wedge cheaper and it’s safe and I know it works. 
It is cool though, love the neck thru and colour. 

5 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Just make sure you can pick it up - I wouldn't trust them to send it to you.  I bought a minty fresh Epiphone Thunderbird from a CC at distance and they wrapped it in some bubble wrap and hoped for the best - didn't even box it.  Needless to say, it did not arrive unscathed...

• Like 1

Got this last month from fellow BC’er 6feet7 - BBG5A. Not sure of the year, but possibly ‘97-‘98. Great condition for its age, bar a few small dents in the clear coat.

My first 5er for 15 years or so. Sounds great through my GK rig. 😊

ADE01CFA-0EB2-4BFF-A2CC-FC7F26A9366A.jpeg

• Like 3