Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 18/01/2023 at 18:56, tredders said:

My two new additions:

Firstly, 1980 BB1200.  Bought it from here, and it's in such great condition - even came with the original Yamaha case.

i-K4MfSPg-XL.jpg

i-vfvjgkQ-XL.jpg

i-dpPHBkx-XL.jpg

Secondly, I just bought this today.  BBP34 - beautiful build quality.  Puts most of my US basses to shame.  

i-Z5wWm8R-XL.jpg

i-FWsGX3M-XL.jpg

i-tVfxP6K-XL.jpg

i-BJN242c-XL.jpg

Two of best past and present Yamaha BBs! 

How do they compare? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Two of best past and present Yamaha BBs! 

How do they compare? 

As I said in another thread, they are both lovely, but quite different. The BB1200 is a good old fashioned P bass, but done fantastically well.   The neck is gorgeous on it and it sounds like a good P bass should.   The BBP34 is more refined - still vintage sounding at heart, but with a bigger variety of sounds available.   Build quality is great on the BB1200, but absolutely outstanding on the BBP34.  Really does feel like Custom Shop territory, which I suppose it is.  

Being absolutely honest, I prefer the BB1200, but they’re both fantastic instruments. 

• Like 4

I was playing my BB1100S fretless earlier and thought I'd lower the action a smidge. Had a look down the neck and decided it could do with taking some relief out rather than lowering the saddles. 

I remembered the previous owner saying there was an adaptor on the trussrod that he'd left on to make adjustments easier, but had thought no more about it. 

When I had a proper look to adjust it, it turns someone has taken an 8mm 1/4 drive socket and drilled four holes through it to allow you to put a small screwdriver or allen key through and turn it if you don't have the proper 8mm trussrod wrench. 

What a genius idea. It stays snuggly in place held by the wood of the neck but turns easily. 

With a flatter board and some overdrive it absolutely growls now, mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah for days. 

Socket left in place, 

M0RoKCg.jpeg

The trussrod nut, 

SfL7Xaa.jpeg

The 8mm socket, 

2ADGGae.jpeg

Se8RYGi.jpeg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 13

On 17/01/2023 at 21:44, Owen said:

I am guessing this is where the Yamaha bods hang out. I have a 5 string BB425 (I think) and would love a chrome control plate like the one in this picture because you can never have enough chrome. Does anyone have any idea where I might buy one? Google has given me somewhere in Indonesia which is entirely cool, but I was wondering about somewhere closer? 2083054066_Screenshot2023-01-17at21_34_41.thumb.png.29d7219a434259843d88bcb1025c7cdb.png

My guess is that my 415 would take this control plate. Am I correct?

20230123_110400.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got the pickups on my Yamaha BB735 switched. I kept the preamp because I don't know which one I should put on. My luthier says he actually likes this preamp and I think I do too, so I will keep it. For now at least.

It sounds better now. Does it sound much better than with the stock pickups? I don't think so. I mean, it sounds better, but the stock pickups sounded good too. There is no hum with these pickups though. 

20230201_204227.jpg

• Like 3

On 23/01/2023 at 14:38, Owen said:

No under the vol, tone and switch. Thanks.

I'm assuming the control plate would physically fit, the scratchplate looks to be the same as the 'X' models with the chrome control plate. 

But the controls might be an issue, 1 are they in the same place? 2, as the pots are mounted through the body there probably won't be enough shaft protruding (pack it in) through the extra thickness of control plate to put a nut and knob on (ffs, pack it in!).

A solution would be to drill a large enough hole in the body to allow the pots to be mounted in the control plate. 

The 'X' series are front routed, yours is rear routed. 

The other less destructive way to the body would be to pots with a longer threaded part. That way you could still mount them through the body without widening the holes, then put the retaining nuts on the outside of the chrome control plate. 

If you can find the right length pots, and are happy soldering. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Owen said:

I can certainly find the right length pots and am I happy with soldering.

For "I" in that sentence, read "my mate, the tech".  

just go the whole hog and get the body wrapped with chrome vinyl (and keep the pots the same) :D 

21 hours ago, TheGreek said:

The neck on my BB615 has a concave bow.

If anyone has a spare lying around,  please let me know. 

I actually have a neck from a BBG5 I could trade if it makes a difference. 

Maxed out truss rod?  I know it's not quite the same thing but I resurrected the neck of a BB450 by taking the truss rod nut off and sliding on a couple of washers to give me more operating room with the rod.

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Maxed out truss rod?  I know it's not quite the same thing but I resurrected the neck of a BB450 by taking the truss rod nut off and sliding on a couple of washers to give me more operating room with the rod.

Did the same thing to one of my BB's!

edit* 614 will have an Allen truss rod tho so not sure if that might change things!IMG_20210412_131656.thumb.jpg.bdcebd163094a417ab522ec1bed4a06a.jpgIMG_20210412_131327.thumb.jpg.ed1beab01998b6b003fa32fd95f85cb9.jpg

Edited by Horizontalste
  • Like 1

I got in contact with Yamaha last year and they sent me two truss rod nuts which allowed extra adjustment. 

This isn't the issue - the neck bows inwards - I've let the tension off for several months with no ascertainable improvement. 

Others havea suggested steaming the neck - not as straightforward as it sounds though I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could make it good again. 

That's not me.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, neepheid said:

May I ask what size washers you used, if you can recall, as I could not find any the right size - thanks 

16 minutes ago, Shylock said:

May I ask what size washers you used, if you can recall, as I could not find any the right size - thanks 

Sorry, I can't remember and I didn't measure. I just lucked into finding some that fit. If I have to hazard a guess as to why I might have had lucky washers - maybe ones for pot shafts might work?

On 03/02/2023 at 11:23, LukeFRC said:

just go the whole hog and get the body wrapped with chrome vinyl (and keep the pots the same) :D 

If it was not metallic orange with a matching headstock, I would consider it. I am so shallow, I will confess publically that I bought it primarily for the colour. The fact that is is nice to play and sounds good is a double bonus.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Sorry, I can't remember and I didn't measure. I just lucked into finding some that fit. If I have to hazard a guess as to why I might have had lucky washers - maybe ones for pot shafts might work?

Thanks and will keep looking