Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1509052464' post='3396386']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...but wound back the +1/-1 and let the dry signal dominate, I'd just get a really huge low end with some top end compensation...[/font][/color]Then I stuck it through a Pork Loin. JESUS. It sounds huge. I wrote a massive prog metal riff on the spot. There's more to an octaver than synthy organ tones, that's for sure. I'm off to terrify our guitar player tomorrow morning.
[/quote]

+1 to that! I completely agree that a clean (dry blended) octave + dirt (in my case COG T16 + 2Notes) is a fantastic combination. Sounds like your TC sub'n'up + Pork Loin is delivering something equally good / if not better!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509045591' post='3396321']

Hey - that looks really good / fun!
All analogue
How low / well does the octave track? (As you've posted this on the octave thread! :))
How much and where from?
[/quote]

I have no idea, Al, I just came across it by accident when browsing a YouTube clip of a pedal which has the same name (but is very different). This one is much more interesting. I’m guessing meridian basses would be the place to look.

http://www.meridianguitars.com/product-category/pedals/

Was €160 back in 2014 for the original version; €289 for this one.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Got to give a mention to the Future Impact. I got it on rental yesterday; it’s loads of fun and very versatile. Nails some Stevie Wonder tones. It struggles a bit with very fast notes; you need to play very cleanly and with a bit of space between each note to get the next to trigger properly. Sounds fantastic too and the sounds are editable on the pedal (editing via computer makes your own patch creation possible as you have access to all the oscillator settings). For octave tracking it gets down to F cleanly (open E is a bit patchy but open strings are always tricky), the response is good but not as immediate as my analogue octavers.

Finally got the Octabvre mark II and it is great. The switch between the two modes is definitely worth having because when it’s in normal mode the fully clockwise end of the tone control is super growly and when in Tim mode, the anti-clockwise end is fatter, especially when playing high up the neck. I’m glad I got this rather than the mini as it’s got a bigger range of sounds in it. It tracks almost as well as the MXR for me and better than the Octamizer.

If others hadn't started cloning and improving on it, I'd still be using an OC-2. Bought one a few years back just to play [i]Sledgehammer[/i]. Eventually discovered the fat sound of the solo'd -1 octave and the synthy tones one could create with it, and needed more.

Eventually moved on to[b] two[/b] OC2's, one for the clean + octave down, and a second for just octave down so I didn't have to bend over and twist knobs.

Flipped both for an Octabvre (original, not Tim-tuned). Liked it, kept it for a good long while until Josh Broughton came out with the Broughctave. It's like an OC-2 on steroids. Filter controls for clean and octave signal, [b]tons[/b] of volume on tap, a dedicated square wave function, two footswitches whose functions can be changed via internal dipswitches. The only octave I would flip this for would be a custom Broughctave with a third footswitch to engage/ disengage the square wave.

[quote name='jposega' timestamp='1509581908' post='3400140']
... Broughctave. It's like an OC-2 on steroids. Filter controls for clean and octave signal, [b]tons[/b] of volume on tap, a dedicated square wave function, two footswitches whose functions can be changed via internal dipswitches. The only octave I would flip this for would be a custom Broughctave with a third footswitch to engage/ disengage the square wave.
[/quote]

OMG - this sounds amazing and really tempted to try out from your description. I'm guessing it's analogue rather than digital? Can you share a bit more on my ususal (boring) Qs on what is this like in terms of speed of tracking (latency) and depth of tracking i.e. how low on the scale you can comfortably get to with 'held' (rather than quickly plucked) notes before it starts glitching? Most analogue octavers (or most of us - apart from [i]dannybuoy[/i] who has obviously mastered some clever technique he should patent :)) seem to struggle to get lower than the A or G on the bottom E string. The MXR M288 has a reputation for being the best of the bunch in terms of depth of tracking.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509655079' post='3400674']

Itch fully now scratched in relation to:
Third: Emma Okto Nojs (nice additional dirt, but I guess somewhat superfluous if you already have a dirt pedal, which I do)
[/quote]

The difference here is that there are two dirty signals, one at pitch and one an octave lower. It gives more options than if you were adding dirt after octaver, either directly or in parallel line.

It’s funny how tracking differs for different people/setups.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Re the Octabvre Mini - for me it’s all about the soloed octave sound with this pedal. However it’s very sensitive to what you plug into it. Some basses can sound quite flat and uninteresting, very bass heavy but not much character - but a passive P Bass sounds amazing.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509691229' post='3400849']
Re the Octabvre Mini - for me it’s all about the soloed octave sound with this pedal. However it’s very sensitive to what you plug into it. Some basses can sound quite flat and uninteresting, very bass heavy but not much character - but a passive P Bass sounds amazing.
[/quote]

Same with the Mark II for me. I’ll second the P bass view too. In fact, I’m considering selling my Sterling to maybe fund another P bass (or more pedals).

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509613975' post='3400235']
OMG - this sounds amazing and really tempted to try out from your description. I'm guessing it's analogue rather than digital? Can you share a bit more on my ususal (boring) Qs on what is this like in terms of speed of tracking (latency) and depth of tracking i.e. how low on the scale you can comfortably get to with 'held' (rather than quickly plucked) notes before it starts glitching? Most analogue octavers (or most of us - apart from [i]dannybuoy[/i] who has obviously mastered some clever technique he should patent :)) seem to struggle to get lower than the A or G on the bottom E string. The MXR M288 has a reputation for being the best of the bunch in terms of depth of tracking.
[/quote]

I'm so used to playing octavers that don't track below A that I don't even go there with the Octabvre.

Tracking and sustain are really dependent on technique (yeah, yeah, I know, that's what they all say) and also the tone you're feeding the pedal. I find all octaves track better with the tone control on your bass rolled down at least partway. Play clean, don't throw any errant notes or harmonics at it, and I find the Broughctave can sustain notes as low as A for longer than an OC-2 could no matter how it was played. I always have my compressor on, too.

It's based on the OC-2, so it's analog, but does [i]way[/i] more than most other analog octavers.
[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509636077' post='3400508']
The Broughctave sounds very interesting, I'd certainly like to try one, though it looks like they may be hard to come by.

Do you have a PDF of the manual and any video clips? I'm curious to know about the dip switch settings.
[/quote]
No manual, maybe I can get some videos of it in action.

The dip switches let you set the function of both footswitches. Mine is set so that left is bypass, right solos the sub signal. You can also have it setup so that the right brings in and out the square wave signal.

[quote name='jposega' timestamp='1509814876' post='3401852']
The dip switches let you set the function of both footswitches. Mine is set so that left is bypass, right solos the sub signal. You can also have it setup so that the right brings in and out the square wave signal.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks. Is it possible to set one side up to solo the sub and the other side to switch in the square wave? i.e. removing the bypass function altogether? If so, you could set it up thusly and use an LS-2 as the bypass switch, giving more options.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1509884419' post='3402274']
Ok I think I'm done for envelopes for now. Tried the mxr live last night and I completely love it.

Now it's octave time. I need help. I've never really played with one before but I love the sound. Any time I've tried them in shops with the shop bass, it's completely sucked.
I've done reading and I think I understand in theory the difference between analogue and digital (I have a masters in digital electronics).

I'll be trying the TC sub n up mini, boss oc3 head to head with my own stingray.

So what do you gurus recommend? Should I play my usual funk riffs in the normal place and add an octave up? Play them up the neck and get the pedal to add one below? What would Bootsy do?
Any suggested settings would be super helpful.
Should I use a particular TonePrint on the Tc?
Is it better to use the bass or guitar input on the boss?
Basically what I'm looking for is octave 101 - how to play it to its strengths.
Riffs I'd like to be lovely:
I wish
Pull up to the bumper
Boogie oogie oogie
That sort of things.....
[/quote]

Pulling you over to this thread, if I may: - I think most of the best octave pedals available in the market today have been discussed in some detail by folk who own / have owned and lived with them.
See:
#90 onwards for a discussion of the TC sub'n'up - you certainly won't go too far wrong from Dood "the dude"'s glowing feedback on this pedal (and he is a [i]super [/i]experienced reviewer)
#98 for Cameron's excellent review of a number of the best octave pedals
#235 for my own personal take on four of the leading analogue contenders.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509824364' post='3401942']
Cool, thanks. Is it possible to set one side up to solo the sub and the other side to switch in the square wave? i.e. removing the bypass function altogether? If so, you could set it up thusly and use an LS-2 as the bypass switch, giving more options.
[/quote]
It might be, I'd have to ask Josh himself since there's no manual.

I’ve managed to get even better performance out of my MXR BOD; I finally got time to go and get my 75RI jazz back from Jon Shuker at the weekend and it’s strung with Rotosound steel rounds and it can get and hold a low F on the E string no problem. That’s better than my P with flats does.

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1503007871' post='3355092']
Just to muddy the water, and just my personal opinion of the ones I've owned.

The MXR was a good tracking octaver with a tone more suited to funk stuff.
The pog was a great tracker but with a sterile tone
The Octron was a good tracker with a great tone and the best upper octave I've heard, a real jack white screamer.
The COGs can be tricky with tracking but if you're bold enough to change some components you can tune them to your bass, Tom helped me with that. Then you are rewarded with a sub octave that is flexible tone wise (somewhere between the Octabvre/mutron/oc2 vibe) and importantly a volume control that goes way loud. Easily the loudest sub of any pedal I've used.
So if you are running it through say, a fuzz that sucks some low end you can adjust. There's even an effects loop on the T65 and 70.
The eventide pitchfactor while spendy is outstanding, any pitches you want in any order, with delays, arpegiators etc. And tracks better than anything, even drop tuned.

So again, just for me, digital = eventide. Analogue = COG.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a KMA Moai Maea so fingers crossed for that one also.
[/quote]

Tony would you mind giving us a bit more of detailed A/B of EHX Cog2 (circa £300 new) and the Eventide Pitchfactor (almost £500(!)) please?

I'm particularly interested in speed of tracking (i.e. lack of latency) and depth of tracking (how low on the bottom E string or lower can the octave down go)?

Do either allow a clean blend to preserve some authentic bass tone? (If not, Boss LS-2 in mix mode is a good solution used by db and Gisser, amongst others, or more recently Cuzzie with his new super duper [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/314694-new-hpf-and-lpf-blending-pedal-kma-audio-machines-tyler/"]Tyler pedal[/url] - for blending in clean).

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1510252733' post='3405101']
If the Pitchfactor is all that then the H9 will be all that and more, no?
[/quote]

I would say so. I bought all the factor pedals before the H9 came out so I haven't had any experience with it but if the algorithms are the same then the H9 would totally be the way to go!

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1510306977' post='3405417']
I would say so. I bought all the factor pedals before the H9 came out so I haven't had any experience with it but if the algorithms are the same then the H9 would totally be the way to go!
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmm :)