Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

Actually the ON is tracking OK down to A on the E string. It can go down from there to the F if I play with a softer initial attack and further towards the neck than where the P pickup sits. The MXR goes to the F# without having to change attack or hand position. Neither copes with the open E on mine unless playing staccato.

I’ve realised that the “dry” knob is actually for both channels so you can’t have the dry in one channel without thereby having it in the other.

This Octo-Nøjs could be the one I would choose if I could only choose one. You can create two different sounds, one on each channel, switch between, or combine them.

Cameron, I’ve realised that one advantage of this pedal is that it automatically does that thing you were trying to achieve with a line splitter, namely that you can have a dirty normal pitch signal with a clean octave down underneath.

Edited by Quatschmacher

My Octabvre Mini tracks all the low notes amazingly well. It only glitches out on the open E or low B if held for more than a second, but is fine with fifth fret E on the low B!

Tracking varies depending on which bass I'm using though, so bear that in mind - one person might get much better results out of a pedal than someone else due to different bass, strings, and technique.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503138952' post='3355962']
If you want an octave to fill out the sound with an added sub in the background then the COG is awesome. The tracking is stellar and being able to dial the tone right down to sub bass makes it blend really well. If you want to use it 100% wet, essentially just using it as a synth pedal and playing higher up to compensate for the difference in pitch, the Octabvre Mini just has a great solo voice that you can't get from the COG. Conversely, this punchy mid-heavy tone doesn't work as well as the COG when blended with clean, where a milder sound often works better.
[/quote]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1505122351' post='3369559']
I'm going to give Sub n' Up a thumbs up on both of these points. It does indeed track lower than any Octave pedal I've used whilst staying 'stable'. The Sub n' Up has different modes of operation out of the box including an Analogue emulation which is ace. Once again, where the pedal excels, like other TonePrint enabled models is getting your hands on the editor software (free). Within this pedal's parameters is the ability to adjust the EQ on each of the separate octaves (+1, -1, -2) along with the ability to even add Chorus and other cool effects. The reason I mention the EQ is that it is possible to warm up that octave tone; you'll get the best of both worlds. The Analogue sound everyone mentions [i]and [/i]the [i]ridiculously[/i] low tracking. My own preset I've created a 1 octave down tone, but I have scooped the sub frequencies off of the -1 output. This has given me a super tracking sound but it is tight, tight, tight! So punchy rather than dub-sub (which of course it can do in spades if I want).
[/quote]

Seems from the comments above and the ones you've just made that if I want the best tracking then the TC Sub'n'Up is unrivalled. Down to the open E string and lower. And you can get to a really good tone by editing the Toneprint, but then risk losing your edit because of software glitches on the TC. @Dood has this software glitch been sorted yet? The TC mini has a really small footprint like the COG T16.

In terms of analogue tracking down low, the best of the bunch here seem to be the 3Leaf Octavbre mini and the MXR, but not quite on a par with the TC

COG T16 can't compete with SnU for low tracking (similar to ON and the Aggie Octamizer) i.e comfortable down to around an A on the E string. The new gen model has addressed the underpowered full filter issue. The COG T16 delivers a really good blended clean octave which I agree works to fill out the sound or to have in combination with a dedicated filter or dirt pedal, particularly with a touch of added preamp boost.

The ON has an amazing amount of versatility which makes it particularly attractive if you don't already have other pedals in the chain which can deliver the additional features (dirt, synth wah).

So pays your money and takes your choice! Once the TC SnU software glitch has been sorted, if it really is possible to get a "Dood the Dude analogue warmth" toneprint which tracks down to the open E and lower - that really does sound very attractive. In the meantime, I'm loving the T16 clean blend octave chained with my filter and dirt pedals and will just need to put up with lack of class leading low tracking.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508052891' post='3389429']
As I recall, for [b]men[/b] at least the T16 tracked just as good as the 3Leaf if not better. About as good as it gets for analog anyway!
[/quote]

Sounds like the T16 was definitely the right choice for me then; I just need to also keep an eye on the TC SnU software glitch position and see if they get it fixed anytime soon or release an updated model / circuitry.

Is the key point you're making that women are better at tracking or generally worse? :D

One point I would make is that I wouldn’t get too hung up on whether a pedal tracks all the way to low E; below low A is so muddy anyway as to be of limited use.

Al, I’d suggest renting an Octo-Nøjs from fxpedalrental.com if you can’t try one locally.

I still need to try the 3 Leaf octaves, if I could find one…

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508064426' post='3389505']
Danny, what bass are you using to get such low tracking from your octavers??
[/quote]

For reference, I’ve mostly been using my 2016 Fender American Standard Precision (custom shop pickups, rosewood board, 50-105 Chromes).

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508061650' post='3389486']
One point I would make is that I wouldn't get too hung up on whether a pedal tracks all the way to low E; below low A is so muddy anyway as to be of limited use.
[/quote]

I agree that getting to an octave below the open A is "low", but not outrageously so, particularly if the articulation of your amp and cab allows it [i]not[/i] to be muddy with such lows.

But secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is a point that I think Dood and / or Cameron touched on previously - which is what happens when the octaver is no longer tracking and delivering an octave down. If it just reverts to the root note that actually would be fine, but if it warbles (which is what most of them do) it's not great.

Obviously if does track all the way down to an open E that solves this second point as well as the first. So for me it is an important point, but not one by itself which outweighs everything else; which is why I'm a COG T16 user and happily so.

Edited by Al Krow

One of the first things I noticed about the Okto is that when glitching on a note it seems to revert to the unison note (I.e. the pitch you're actually playing on the string) in a smooth manner which doesn't sound as harsh or "obvious" as some other octavers.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508064426' post='3389505']
Danny, what bass are you using to get such low tracking from your octavers??
[/quote]

Yamaha BB1025X is my main bass, it seems to track best with this for some reason, perhaps because the pickups are really hot with a lot of low end

Don’t know if this is quite the place to put this but this video about the Sub n Up options in the toneprint editor was pretty useful for getting an idea of some of the possibilities.

https://youtu.be/lXXyESzSKdw

Does anyone have an idea whether you can assign a filter to one of the knobs to make it function a bit like the T-16 or Octamizer filter knobs?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508048144' post='3389421']
{snip} but then risk losing your edit because of software glitches on the TC. @Dood has this software glitch been sorted yet? {/snip}

[/quote]

I don't think TC see it as a software glitch, just not something they have added yet. Simply put, the editor can not read the TonePrint you have created on the pedal once you have disconnected and reconnected. So you won't lose your Toneprint. But if you have saved lots of different versions of your TP, you might need to make a note somewhere of the one you have put on the pedal! I do this by adding a number at the end of the reset now so the highest is the one on the pedal. You can select your current TP from your editor saved list in the application with the pedal attached and continue editing though. I hope that makes sense, I am on my death bed today suffering with a major, MAJOR case of the sniffles.

I'll ask TC about it when I get a chance.. the TP that is, not the sniffles lol

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508152305' post='3390048']
If you do end up making a custom TonePrint, Dood, you're gonna have to call it "The Sniffles" now :lol:
[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Done deal :)

I'll have to make a little clip later of this exceedingly good Octabvre tracking for evidence as I can't quite believe it myself... I was playing some riffs last night with the octave soloed, and as long as I avoided the open strings it did not waver whatsoever including all notes down to a low C on the B string (sorry I don't have a low F# string!).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508304692' post='3391153']
I'll have to make a little clip later of this exceedingly good Octabvre tracking for evidence as I can't quite believe it myself... I was playing some riffs last night with the octave soloed, and as long as I avoided the open strings it did not waver whatsoever including all notes down to a low C on the B string (sorry I don't have a low F# string!).
[/quote]

Wow! Yes please. So this is tracking lower than the bottom E (albeit fifth fret of the low B string rather than low open E)?! Can you also get a fully "clean" sounding octave down or is there always a synthy overlay to the tone?

Yup, clean tracking of all notes down to a low C. Although an octave below that note is more of a throbbing vibration than an actual note! Whether or not it sounds synthy depends on your definition. Tone to the left it sounds like an OC-2, which is pretty clean yet still synthy to me, tone to the right of course is more fuzzier. As far as I know the tone control blends between an OC-2 and a Mutron style voicing rather than a low pass filter that you get on the COG or Aguilar, so it can't do a clean sine-like sub.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508313603' post='3391209']
Yup, clean tracking of all notes down to a low C. Although an octave below that note is more of a throbbing vibration than an actual note! Whether or not it sounds synthy depends on your definition. Tone to the left it sounds like an OC-2, which is pretty clean yet still synthy to me, tone to the right of course is more fuzzier. As far as I know the tone control blends between an OC-2 and a Mutron style voicing rather than a low pass filter that you get on the COG or Aguilar, so it can't do a clean sine-like sub.
[/quote]

Cheers DB - that low tracking is very impressive indeed on the 3Leaf, but seems like the clean ("sine-like") sub I'm getting on the COG to fill out the sound, which I really like, is sadly not there on the 3Leaf...if only we could persuade Tom to see if he could match the likes of 3Leaf on tracking on his next gen octavers.

PS DB - have you got a COG mini 66 incoming? If so, you beat me to the draw on that one :) Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it and in particular, with clean blend and gain dialled back as a starting point how far along the spectrum of {warm valve / grit} to {overdrive} to {full on fuzz} it covers? If it manages to go from delicious Two Notes all the way through to aggressive DG in one tiny package, it's definitely staying on my "desirable pedals" radar!

I couldn't find a recent "If you could only choose one dirt pedal" thread to add to, so please feel free to start one up!

Edited by Al Krow

I never said the COG tracks worse than the 3Leaf - as I recall it was just as good. Differences could be down to bass, strings, setup and technique here!

Having sample the full size 66 previously, I very much doubt the Mini 66 would be able to cop any Two Notes or Darkglass tones, nor sound particularly nice at high gain. I just want to try it out in the role of a low gain dirty boost...