Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508321946' post='3391312']
I never said the COG tracks worse than the 3Leaf - as I recall it was just as good. Differences could be down to bass, strings, setup and technique here.
[/quote]

Which version of the Octabvre do you have? I’m still waiting for bass direct to get new stock of the MKII so I can finally get one.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508328275' post='3391370']
Which version of the Octabvre do you have? I'm still waiting for bass direct to get new stock of the MKII so I can finally get one.
[/quote]

I have the Mini, which as far as I know is identical to the MkII flicked to Tim tuning mode.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508328392' post='3391374']
Cameron, how do you find the tones of the Octabvre (mini in your case) compared to those in the Octo-Nøjs, both on the Octo and the Nøjs sides?
[/quote]

They're both OC2 based, no doubt, however the Okto is deeper and rounder throughout its tone knob range. Even with the tone open (fully clockwise) on the Okto is slightly fatter than the Octabvre with its tone rolled all the way anti-clockwise. So they can feasibly coexist on a pedal board as, for me at least, they're just different flavours of the same tonal "family".

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508328896' post='3391379']

I have the Mini, which as far as I know is identical to the MkII flicked to Tim tuning mode.
[/quote]

I thought it was slightly different, or at least when I read the blurb that’s how it comes across:

“The Octabvre Mini is a [u]modified[/u] and miniaturized version of the Octabvre that was designed for bass player and effects guru Tim Lefebvre. [b]It starts with the popular Tim-tuning mod from the original and [u]takes it further with a reworked tone knob[/u] [/b] that runs the gamut from classic OC-2-inspired thump to all-out sub fuzz.”

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508083819' post='3389626']
Does anyone have an idea whether you can assign a filter to one of the knobs to make it function a bit like the T-16 or Octamizer filter knobs?
[/quote]

Yep, you can do exactly this. I've got a toneprint with EQ set up for a 6 db/oct low pass filter, with the 'sub2' knob controlling the corner frequency. All the way up is 20khz, so you hear the full range, all the way down is 20hz, so you don't hear the octave voice at all.

For extra fun, you can set one of the other knobs to add drive to the octave voice...

After having sold my Boss PS6 a while back, I’ve just purchased a Digitech Whammy Ricochet. Rock solid digital tracking in a compact form. Really nice intuitive control layout, much more immediately logical than the Boss equivalent. Gonna use it for octave up in a parallel chain.

Edited by CameronJ

I've settled on an EBS Octabass now for the band board. Some analog octavers have a really growly midrange that just stands out too much, but this is perfect for just making higher notes sound beefier yet natural. It can track pretty much every note just fine except the low open E and B strings, fretted notes down to C# on the B string are all solid.

I've tried a few digital octavers, Bass Whammy, Tender, etc, but I can feel the latency and much prefer the immediacy of analog.

Do you want it for octave up or down? For a simple Digitech octave up with both a volume and tone control for the wet signal, they do the Mosaic pedal. Most likely the same algorithm as the Whammy/Drop/Ricochet.

See if you can try one out on your travels, and if you like it, you can buy mine! :D

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508668914' post='3393607']
Do you want it for octave up or down? For a simple Digitech octave up with both a volume and tone control for the wet signal, they do the Mosaic pedal. Most likely the same algorithm as the Whammy/Drop/Ricochet.

See if you can try one out on your travels, and if you like it, you can buy mine! :D
[/quote]

Hmmm, I’m intrigued. Is that a constant upper and lower octave at all times?

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508847537' post='3394808']
Woohoo! Bass direct have finally got the Octabvre MKII back in stock. Should have it with me tomorrow!
[/quote]

Yep, I've just returned from Bass Direct for the fourth time in a week (long story in another thread...) and can confirm that I saw the octabvre mini with my own two eyes :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508849988' post='3394838']
BTW as a heads up there is the latest 'studio' version of the EBS Octabass up for sale on here for £75, just after I bought a new one too!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/313978-pedal-peddler
[/quote]

I'm tempted to go for it, I must say...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508853267' post='3394869']

Yep, I've just returned from Bass Direct for the fourth time in a week (long story in another thread...) and can confirm that I saw the octabvre mini with my own two eyes :)
[/quote]

They’ve had the mini in stock for ages, it was the bigger model that has been out of stock for a few months now.

Curious about your BD experience. Where’s that thread?

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509041411' post='3396285']
This looks interesting (sorry for duplication but it's a dual pedal):

[url="https://youtu.be/ro7zqQULe0c"]https://youtu.be/ro7zqQULe0c[/url]
[/quote]

Hey - that looks really good / fun!
All analogue
How low / well does the octave track? (As you've posted this on the octave thread! :))
How much and where from?

Edited by Al Krow

I've finally waded through this thread after picking up a s/h Sub N Up and I'm struck that the answer to the question of 'best' or 'favourite' comes down to how you are using the pedal. I 100% expected to be into an OC2 type sound, but after a few weeks of tweaking, trying to blend some drive using toneprint and going through a phase of 'what am I actually going to use this pedal for?', it dawned on me (after listening to Juan Alderete talking about the DOD meatbox) that if I used the Poly setting but wound back the +1/-1 and let the dry signal dominate, I'd just get a really huge low end with some top end compensation, it wouldn't glitch out below Ab and wouldn't sound like an organ below 12th fret. Job done. Then I stuck it through a Pork Loin. JESUS. It sounds huge. I wrote a massive prog metal riff on the spot. There's more to an octaver than synthy organ tones, that's for sure. I'm off to terrify our guitar player tomorrow morning.