Why become a member? ×

Bassists you like in genres/band you don't

Barking Spiders

Typically our fave players tend to be from genres and bands we like listening to but what about those you've come across whose playing grabs you by the cojones despite the music itself wanting to make you cut off your ears and then stick your head in a tub of offal.

For me the first that springs to mind is Dave La Rue. Some bloke I used know reckoned I'd rave about the guitar work but it was the bass lines that I honed in on. Tasteful but skilled throughout. Right on the money.

Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm. While I struggle to get to grips with the music I find these are go-to guys on YouTube when it comes to refining fingerstyle technique. That said Hamm's live rendition of 'Country Music' is great fun esp when his slapping goes mad.

Mick Karn - liked his bass playing but music was a bit bland and samey. Just couldn't really get into Japan.

John Myung - another very talented bassist but Dream Theater just bore the hell outa me.

Probably more that will come back to me as i've bought many albus just to hear the bassist.

MAYBE THAT COULD BE THE NEXT THREAD ON BC - Albums you've bought just to hear the bassist. :D :D :D

Dave

Yep, indeed I have owned albums bought just for the bass playing e.g. Stuart Hmm's Radio Free Albemuth. Cant say I cared for the classical pieces transposed to bass - all a bit poncey to me - but the regular tunes have top notch basswork. Ditto the debut by Winery Dogs, some Dream Theater album, a Steve Morse effort and a Rush compilation. It was hard going but I managed to get through all of them once but that was enuff.

It might be sacrilege to say this, but if Jon Stockman wasn't the bassist in Karnivool, I probably would never listen to them.

I think that I would nearly add Flea to this as well.

I don't really like The Who that much either, but John Entwistle was fantastic.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1488411949' post='3248816']
It might be sacrilege to say this, but if Jon Stockman wasn't the bassist in Karnivool, I probably would never listen to them.

[/quote][quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1488411949' post='3248816']

[/quote]

Agree on The Who.. used to love them but realised they only have maybe 10 or so really good songs at best. Entwistle is great though.

Entwistle - Can't stand the Who, or much other so called classic rock.
Geddy Lee - Ditto for Rush, apart from Moving Pictures. I can take the singing at a push but the lyrics and the drumming I find incredibly annoying.
Flea - Same story with the singer and what he has to say i.e nothing.
Primus - Annoying self conscious 'weirdness' sets my teeth on edge. Also, Rush covers. I just don't see the appeal, but I'd be an idiot to say Les Claypool isn't a great player.

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1488400639' post='3248709']
Claypool is the bomb, Primus bit hard work ��
[/quote]
[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1488470422' post='3249243']
Primus - Annoying self conscious 'weirdness' sets my teeth on edge. Also, Rush covers. I just don't see the appeal, but I'd be an idiot to say Les Claypool isn't a great player.
[/quote]

right i think you know where the door is, please leave ;)

Edited by lowhand_mike