Why become a member? ×

Cars for transporting Basses.

HeavyJay

Skoda Roomster:

Full PA with monitors, bass rig, two basses, and all associated bits and pieces, one passenger, and I can still see out of the rear window.

Did I mention the rear seats are fully removable. Family car by day, gigging van by night.

Check it out.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the lights.

Edited by EssentialTension

In a Volvo 240:

7 Piece drum kit
1x15 Bass Combo
2x basses
2x guitars
Pedalboard
Marshall Head
4x12 Cab
Pa Mixer head
2 X PA Bins
Stands, leads etc in tack-box
Me
Gtrst
Drummer

Me old 240 much better for hauling gear than current 850...sigh

Edited by skankdelvar

Mondeo estate for me - having had three 2-series Volvos, I'd say they might be very slightly larger but there's not much in it. I tend to just sling everything in as I generally don't have to worry about concealing it under the blind. It'll take my 7-string case no problem.

Always been in bands with a van for years, but a new project means like I will have to gig out of a car again: 6x10 cab, 4u rack, 2 basses (one hard case, one gig bag), a suitcase type flightcase and a bag

I’ve got a Toyota Celica these days …..

I have a BMW 135 Coupe and can fit

2x basses (in a double gig bag)
2z 2 x10 cabinets
bass head
pedal board
leads and stands and etc.
Me

and perhaps a can of red bull....

........ the back seats DO fold down. :) in fact this was the main reason for buying it - AND the reason for buying the 2 2x10 cabs... (thanks to Darren at the bassmerchant for his patience as I went up and down the stairs with "if it will fit in the car, I will buy two!).

I have a 2007 Vectra hatchback and can fit:

Schroeder 1212L
6u Rack
Cab & Amp Stands
Bass in a gig bag
My bag of leads
Change of clothes for the gig

in the boot.

If I fold the seats down I can fit all of that plus

8U rack
Bass in a hard case
Bass Drum
5 - count them, 5 Toms
Drum hardware case - big long Hardcase fellow with the wheels
Cymbal Bag
Stick Bag
Drum Rack
Case with Drum Mics
Drummer's monitor
Drummer's change of clothes

Plus the drummer of course.

I've always loved Vauxhalls and the fact that i can get my gear for the rock band in the car without putting anything in the passenger area.

Seats up or down? I could fit a Fender moulded case easily into the boot of the Monderosa (mk3) but my MM Stingray case had to go upright and squeeze right into the front of the boot, between where the wheel arch mouldings stick out slightly and where the access to the rear lights is. It was alright, but the bass would have been proper f*cked had I ever been in an accident and hit from behind.

[quote name='OutSpoon' post='310807' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:28 PM']I have a BMW 135 Coupe and can fit

2x basses (in a double gig bag)
2z 2 x10 cabinets
bass head
pedal board
leads and stands and etc.
Me

and perhaps a can of red bull....

........ the back seats DO fold down. :) in fact this was the main reason for buying it - AND the reason for buying the 2 2x10 cabs... (thanks to Darren at the bassmerchant for his patience as I went up and down the stairs with "if it will fit in the car, I will buy two!).[/quote]

In the boot with the seats up? I have a 118d 5 door hatch and can barely get a week's shopping from Sainsburys in mine. Can't wait for the lease to run out....

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='309749' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:49 AM']Back to the OP - any cars where you can fit a standard sized rectanglular bass car width-wise in the boot? I can get everything I need for a gig (inc PA) into my Audi A4 estate but I can't fit a blimmin bass case on its own in the boot!

Edit: I guess most bass players when buying cars ask: "how do you get the seats to fold flat?" :)[/quote]

I have a mk1 focus at the moment and with the seats down it is perfect. Similarly to yourself it fits pretty much nothing in the boot with the seats up.

When buying it I took my bass case with me and made the sales guy drop the seats to check dimensions!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='309789' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:00 PM']A big difference, I find, in car/bass transportation, is the use of gig bags instead of hard cases. I'll get cases in boots in gig bags where a hard case will not fit. I only use hard cases when my gear is in the band's trailer with all the other gear. In a car. a well padded gig bag is perfectly adequate. I notice in the latest issue of BGM a range of hybrid gig bags that look neat [url="http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp"]http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp[/url]

I have a compact estate BUT I get my gig rig in the boot WITH the spring-loaded cover pulled across. This included two 35" neck bass guitars in gig bags, plus triple stand, two cabs & amp. But then, I have purposely chosen a lightweight rig (Shuttle & Bergantinos).[/quote]

I'm always a bit reluctant to use gig bags because I'm a bit clumsy and keep smacking my bass into steps and walls and door frames etc etc. Sincerely glad of the hard case or I'd have been picking up bits of stingray by now.

[quote name='fingerz' post='310017' date='Oct 19 2008, 08:16 PM']I also have an Octavia. Boot is bloody huge so no puttin the seats down for my rig. When you have to leave gear in the car its all covered under the shelf - even if it is for 5 mins while you check logistics of a gig/rehearsal location before unloading. X-long histox bass case will go in the boot. Good boot if you want a saloon shape motor. VW/Audi bits too so runs a dream. Mine's oretty basic inside but economical as you like.

Good to read about all the gig wagons on here...

Has anyone noticed how our cars are worth about half the value of our bass rigs?! Mint.[/quote]

I've been trying to avoid going for enormous estates or MPVs because I think my wife would be a bit embarassed driving one. The Octavia seems like a good compromise that still looks like a normal car but would do the hard case in the boot without seats down job. I've got a friend who drives one so I might do a dimensions test with his!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='310877' date='Oct 20 2008, 11:09 PM']In the boot with the seats up? I have a 118d 5 door hatch and can barely get a week's shopping from Sainsburys in mine. Can't wait for the lease to run out....[/quote]

No way! Seats down... surprisingly roomy! And very, very fast... drinks petrol but hey, I get home 40mins faster than the rest of the band in the transit... Apparently, the coupe actually has more boot space than the hatch!

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='309625' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:20 AM']Does anyone know of a car that fits a bass (in hard case) in the boot?[/quote]

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Astra. The boot is wider at the top than at the bottom (thanks to wheel arches). The hard case won't fit in the bottom, but it will fit in the top. Works out quite nicely for me, because my bass amp occupies the bottom half.

Edit: My case is bass-shaped - I'm not sure if a rectangular case would fit.

S.P.

Edited by stylonpilson

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='311089' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:15 AM']I've been trying to avoid going for enormous estates or MPVs because I think my wife would be a bit embarassed driving one.[/quote]

Can I ask why this would be?

I found it a little tricky to start off with due to the difference in size/height off the road from a 'regular' car but I wouldn't be without our Espace now, particularly because of their 'safety' rating (or whatever the correct term is) and the fact that we can fit so much in it. Bit of a b*gger to park though :)

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='312189' date='Oct 22 2008, 03:29 PM']Can I ask why this would be?

I found it a little tricky to start off with due to the difference in size/height off the road from a 'regular' car but I wouldn't be without our Espace now, particularly because of their 'safety' rating (or whatever the correct term is) and the fact that we can fit so much in it. Bit of a b*gger to park though :huh:[/quote]

You sure can.

We don't have any kids (yet :) ) so the space would be very much surplus to requirements for the most part. She's also quite environmentally conscious so the (inevitable?) extra fuel that an estate or MPV would consume wouldn't sit well with her either.

All that coupled with the fact that some of the places she has to park for work are pretty tight starts to make them nonviable.

Personally, I'd buy an S-Max or a Shogun or even a Mercedes Vito but I'm not just buying for me!

Thanks for explaining :)

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='312211' date='Oct 22 2008, 03:49 PM']All that coupled with the fact that some of the places she has to park for work are pretty tight starts to make them nonviable.[/quote]

Of course, the answer seems obvious to me, get yourself a 4wd and her a bicycle :huh: :huh:

I've got a MK IV Mondeo estate which is huge. There's room for 2 Ashdown Mag cabs and a 2U rack case plus sundry stands and bits bags without putting the seats down. And it does 45mpg on diesel. It's easy to find in a car park as well, because it sticks out by about a foot from everything else.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='309625' date='Oct 19 2008, 12:20 AM']Does anyone know of a car that fits a bass (in hard case) in the boot?[/quote]

Just to add that my Hiscox shaped case fits sideways in my Passat Estate's boot, but on top of the suspension tower protruberances.
It's still under the cover though.