Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Last Night

steantval

I know music is a very subjective thing but I have to comment on last nights show.

A band from St Albans was featured called Friendly Fires, what a load of garbage.

Clearly from their performance have very little musical talent and bounce around on stage looking like a bunch of idiots.

Why are bands of this calibre given the exposure they clearly do not deserve on prime time BBC music shows?

I totally understand that the show has slots for brand new bands but surely they need to be of an acceptable standard.

This outfit would not meet the requirements to obtain gigs on our local pub gigging circuit.

If this is showcasing the best of the new British talent, the future of music is going down the plughole.

Tom was brilliant, He's so down to earth and can still do soul like no other white welshman :)

I thought Friendly Fires were Ok .. I'd rather Jools/the bbc l took a chance now and then rather than a parade of safe and predictable stuff .. and at least they are British... I suspect they are really good in a local pub .. :huh:

Of course they may have come in as part of a deal to get someone else.
At least Otway got a mention :huh:

Watched Tuesday. Fell asleep last night, though it should be on Plus Series record.

Friendly Fires - I expect you had to be there
Tom Jones was very professional as you would expect

The rest rather passed me by first time round - except for thinking "Lucky she remembered her good knickers" :)

Why is it that the show always seemed to be so badly mixed? You can rarely hear the bass and last night Snow Patrol's vocals on the 2nd number were completely drowned out by the guitar and drums and any harmonies were a waste of time. The sound might be good in the studio, but ultimately this is a TV program and they've had since Tuesday to get it right.

As ever an eclectic mix of acts that left me disappointed. Tom's voice was good, but I've seen him way better, too many muso's in that band for my liking. Sad that Stephen Stills' voice has gone to the dogs.

didn't see Later, but I can't tell Friendly fires apart from Bloc Party- same feeble singing over post-punk-lite Gang of Four-rip-off guitars.

White lies were similarly pointless on Later- as if we need yet another Joy Division-lite Interpol/Editors clone.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='309206' date='Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM']+1 Tom Jones
His song '24 Hours' was amazing.
I missed the first part of the show and was gutted to tune in just as Stephen Stills was finishing up. Did I miss anything?[/quote]

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/artists/stephenstills/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/artists/stephenstills/[/url]

[quote name='SJA' post='309209' date='Oct 18 2008, 01:17 PM']didn't see Later, but I can't tell Friendly fires apart from Bloc Party- same feeble singing over post-punk-lite Gang of Four-rip-off guitars.

White lies were similarly pointless on Later- as if we need yet another Joy Division-lite Interpol/Editors clone.[/quote]

That is called "The NME" syndrome all bands that appear in that magazine are made of the same material and cut with the same scissors. Haven't seen one of those bands that I can say that impress me.

All of them sound the same, look the same, sing the same and in the same way, jump around like a bunch of tw@ts (the same) and even use the same basses and amps (P basses and Ampeg).

The whole story short "Boring".

Sorry rant over.

[quote name='steantval' post='309090' date='Oct 18 2008, 10:21 AM']I know music is a very subjective thing but I have to comment on last nights show.

A band from St Albans was featured called Friendly Fires, what a load of garbage.

Clearly from their performance have very little musical talent and bounce around on stage looking like a bunch of idiots.

Why are bands of this calibre given the exposure they clearly do not deserve on prime time BBC music shows?

I totally understand that the show has slots for brand new bands but surely they need to be of an acceptable standard.

This outfit would not meet the requirements to obtain gigs on our local pub gigging circuit.

If this is showcasing the best of the new British talent, the future of music is going down the plughole.[/quote]

I keep tellin yer....British music at the moment is shiite

[quote name='steantval' post='309090' date='Oct 18 2008, 10:21 AM']I know music is a very subjective thing but I have to comment on last nights show.

If this is showcasing the best of the new British talent, the future of music is going down the plughole.[/quote]

All music is subjective whatever the genre

Lack of musical talent has never stopped a lot of great bands, I take it like me you are older than 18....

What is an acceptable standard ? thats the great thing about music there is non...look at the Pistols when they started or even more so the Ramones.

I don't think they will be gigging in pubs now they have been on Jools. Several of my mates are technically as good as any guitarist I have heard but we all know technical excellence does not make a band...

Personally I thought they were the only band worth watching.....what was all that about "god is in the house"
Mr Stills was ok , but I think Mr Jones is turning into David Guest,

[attachment=14912:tomdavid.jpg]

[quote name='Toasted' post='309273' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:01 PM']Friendly Fires are very, very popular. They should be appearing on shows like this.[/quote]
:Shock:

I find myself agreeing with you Toasted. :)

Their track 'Paris' is a grower. Not normally my thing, but I like it.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='Toasted' post='309322' date='Oct 18 2008, 04:11 PM']Just to be clear: I think their music is toss. Never-the-less, popular toss. It has a sense of the zeitgeist about it.[/quote]
Agreed.

I gave them about a minute, and then pressed FF. Didn't do anything for me, but I do believe that shows like this should give time to up and coming bands, and not just roll out all Jools' old mates/influences. And I'm 42 :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='309273' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:01 PM']Friendly Fires are very, very popular. They should be appearing on shows like this.[/quote]

My uncles a fireman, from their performance the other night they need a good hosing down.

Absolutely right the comment about them jumping around the stage like t*ats, maybe they should concentrate on learning to play their instruments properly.

To be honest that female folk singer was also s*ite, the band could'nt even keep to time, bloody awful.

Well I'll throw in my two penneth, I enjoyed the Friendly fires, I thought they were quite original and I enjoyed the song.

Tom Jones was brilliant of course, although I'd stop dying the hair Tom.

Snow Patrol were as dull as dishwater, and by far the worst act on the show, the rest of it I enjoyed, including the mad lady in the fishnets.

i really dont enjoy this show much anymore, 90% of the stuff on there is bollocks found mostly in the charts and the rest...well you might be lucky to catch something quite decent. the standard i think has dropped a fair bit since re-airing the show at a earlier time. maybe that has something to do with it.

i used to love this show and find it very interesting and i think the interviews were far more enjoyable...