Why become a member? ×

Sei Series II single cut - now MIDI enabled...!

urb

Many, many congrats on the new Sei !! Just amazing how the grain popped out.

Remember to put the headphones on so you don't annoy the neighbours at 1am.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='159360' date='Mar 18 2008, 07:48 AM']Looking good! The sound instantly reminded me of Matthew Garrison's bass, not just because it's an exotic cut boutique single cut :)[/quote]

When I collected my Sei, they also had a new Fodera in the shop for some obscene amount of money. Let's just say that if you have Sei you can look at a Fodera and [b][u]not[/u][/b] say "if I had the money, I'll get one of those"....

Edited by 7string

[quote]they also had a new Fodera in the shop for some obscene amount of money[/quote]

When you mentioned that I instantly hopped on the website to look. Other than perhaps having one string too many, that is EXACTLY what I want in a bass. Maple board, buckeye top, single cut... Fodera :)

Gorgeous but obscenely expensive.

Mark

Mmm, dangerous thing to say on these boards Josh.
I own a Sei and Shuker (both Jazzes) and have to admit the Sei just pips the Shuker in playability, but I mean just and it's probably a personal thing.
Jon Shuker is actually going to make a few amendments for nowt to get his bass playing just how I want it, so things might change.
In terms of cost there's no comparison.
S

[quote name='largo' post='160317' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:25 PM']Mmm, dangerous thing to say on these boards Josh.
I own a Sei and Shuker (both Jazzes) and have to admit the Sei just pips the Shuker in playability, but I mean just and it's probably a personal thing.
Jon Shuker is actually going to make a few amendments for nowt to get his bass playing just how I want it, so things might change.
In terms of cost there's no comparison.
S[/quote]

Absolutely Largo - while I love my Sei I'm not here to make judgments on other people's preferred bass - there are many fine makers out there and it really does boil down to personal choices and that does include price. I chose Sei because I knew Martin could build me exactly what I wanted - end of - plus he's a London-based builder (possibly the only one I know of) - so that was a big factor as well. I'll also add that I'd seen and played a lot of his basses before I commissioned mine - so I knew what I was likely to get in return - as a result I'm extremely happy with my choices.

So please let's not go down the "this maker versus that maker" on this thread - thanks guys.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add one last pic - of the main man Martin Petersen himself - adding my 'ramp' while the bass was still on the bench. It was kind of weird being their when the bass still being finished - but having seen Martin also cut the facings while I was there last year - and see just how skilled he is and how quick he can do things (because he knows exactly what he's doing) is pretty thrilling really.

Anyway - thanks for making me an amazing bass Martin!

[attachment=6969:martin_peterson.jpg]

Cheers

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Josh' post='160293' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:48 PM']That blows every Shuker I've seen out of the water. Absolutley stunning Mike![/quote]

It's a very very nice bass and sounds fantastic too, but I would beg to differ on that one :)

[quote name='bassjamm' post='184868' date='Apr 24 2008, 09:43 PM']Hi Mike...

Loving the Sei man...how are you getting on with it, in particular how are you getting on with with the low B and the 33" scale???

Jam[/quote]

Hi Jamie,

It's still really great - I love the compact feel and B sounds and feels great - and Kev, I know what you mean - amazing stuff comes out of that workshop - it's like the magic bass cellar... gorgeous wood goes in - amazing basses come out.

And on the whole issue of this custom bass versus that custom bass - each luthier does different things - much like different chef's cook the same ingredients in their own unique way - all I will say about Martin's work is that I have 'tasted' almost every other type of bass out there, and I like the 'flavour' of his the best... doesn't mean to say that other builders can't match what he does, they just serve it up differently. As many threads across the web have stated re X Luthier versus Y Luthier there is a point of diminishing returns once you spend more than £2K or £3K - you will get some of comparable quality - it really comes down to taste and whole bunch of other factors - not the 'best' this or that - if it works for you in terms of design, price, location, purpose (what style you play) - then that's why I chose Sei - I could have chosen any other, including Fodera - but I didn't. The other major factor is that I have got to know Martin and John, and the one and only Alex Carter, and I count them all as friends now - so that also played a part in my decision.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

I'm off to be a dad now - my real baby arrived this week - his name's Benjamin and he bloomin' gorgeous!

Mike
x

Awwwwwwwww congrats dude!!!!!!

Also I totally agree with what you have said regards luthier vs luthier. I have limited experience of Sei basses and more of Shuker and my only qualm with Shuker will be addressed in my build, for those who are wondering, I believe Jon's basses are sometimes a little light, I am a big guy and like some weight and I move about a hell of a lot on stage so I need it to feel very robust. But as many people have stated, it's a kind of horses for courses thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone would dismiss both Martin and Jon in favour of someone else? Now that would be a turn up for the books........ :)

Well I'd say the two most popular luthiers *on this board* (from the build thread quantities) seem to be Shuker and ACG, rather than Sei. Would that be fair? :huh: I'm sure the others (like Martin) are very busy too, or they wouldn't stay inm business ;)

But yes, it is just the same as someone saying they prefer a Stingray to a Rickenbacker, for instance. Both good basses, but are very different. It is no different with luthiers :)

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='presoulnation' post='185604' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:47 PM']Awwwwwwwww congrats dude!!!!!!

Also I totally agree with what you have said regards luthier vs luthier. I have limited experience of Sei basses and more of Shuker and my only qualm with Shuker will be addressed in my build, for those who are wondering, I believe Jon's basses are sometimes a little light, I am a big guy and like some weight and I move about a hell of a lot on stage so I need it to feel very robust. But as many people have stated, it's a kind of horses for courses thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone would dismiss both Martin and Jon in favour of someone else? Now that would be a turn up for the books........ :)[/quote]

Thanks matey - I will add that Martin build each Sei to the client's requirements so each bass really is a genuine custom instrument - mine is completely different to any other that I have played - and Martin seems to have mastered the art of matching each players needs to produce the bass THEY wanted - not a bass HE thinks they want - there is a difference - and naming no names I have seen/heard a certain bass maker not being exactly sympathetic to a clients wishes - but I'm sure Jon Shuker (based on all the positive messages here) listens and responds accordingly.

Re popularity of Shukers vs Seis - I'll also add that Martin always has a large number of basses on the go, his waiting time is now about a year for a bass and it's just that a lot of the people who order them don't post here! Believe me Martin is always busy - and the quality never dips - the basses he's making now are some of the finest he's ever built: lots of pics in the Galleries on the Sei website:

My bass and the other recent Buckeye Single Cut:

[url="http://www.seibass.com/singlecutpics4.html"]http://www.seibass.com/singlecutpics4.html[/url]

This is beauty too:

[url="http://www.seibass.com/seiseriesI5fless.html"]http://www.seibass.com/seiseriesI5fless.html[/url]

Anyway - play what you want!

Mike

Hmmmmm I really need to play a few Sei's. Is there anyone in the Manchester area who owns a Sei and would be willing to let me have a little tinker?? I do intend to get one at some point in my life because the Original 5 is just the sexiest looking beast ever :)

EDIT - I might also add that I didn't intend to leave ACG out of that before, genuine mistake and I admire his work greatly!

Edited by presoulnation

[quote name='presoulnation' post='186105' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:07 PM']Hmmmmm I really need to play a few Sei's. Is there anyone in the Manchester area who owns a Sei and would be willing to let me have a little tinker?? I do intend to get one at some point in my life because the Original 5 is just the sexiest looking beast ever :)

EDIT - I might also add that I didn't intend to leave ACG out of that before, genuine mistake and I admire his work greatly![/quote]
Everyone has their different preference (mine is Ken Smith) but as I know everyone at the Gallery I have to say they are very, very accomplished builders. Martin has exceptional skill with design, woodworking and electronics, as well as being a great guy. The shop also holds perhaps the best stock of basses in the UK. If you can think up a dream bass, I am pretty sure Martin can build it...

[quote name='urb' post='185454' date='Apr 25 2008, 05:33 PM']Hi Jamie,

It's still really great - I love the compact feel and B sounds and feels great - and Kev, I know what you mean - amazing stuff comes out of that workshop - it's like the magic bass cellar... gorgeous wood goes in - amazing basses come out.

And on the whole issue of this custom bass versus that custom bass - each luthier does different things - much like different chef's cook the same ingredients in their own unique way - all I will say about Martin's work is that I have 'tasted' almost every other type of bass out there, and I like the 'flavour' of his the best... doesn't mean to say that other builders can't match what he does, they just serve it up differently. As many threads across the web have stated re X Luthier versus Y Luthier there is a point of diminishing returns once you spend more than £2K or £3K - you will get some of comparable quality - it really comes down to taste and whole bunch of other factors - not the 'best' this or that - if it works for you in terms of design, price, location, purpose (what style you play) - then that's why I chose Sei - I could have chosen any other, including Fodera - but I didn't. The other major factor is that I have got to know Martin and John, and the one and only Alex Carter, and I count them all as friends now - so that also played a part in my decision.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

I'm off to be a dad now - my real baby arrived this week - his name's Benjamin and he bloomin' gorgeous!

Mike
x[/quote]
How long before he starts playing bass? :)

• 1 year later...

Hey hey chaps

Just wanted to add a little update to this build diary - Martin has now fitted my single cut with a MIDI pup - and as I already had the Graphtech Ghost piezzo system installed it was a relatively 'easy' job (for sone one with Martin's skills) to add the MIDI gubbins. The new controls on the top of the bass include small patch changer switch and a stacked volume pot - one for the normal bass signal and one of the Midi channel- I can't wait to be able to blend the two together live but I need to get hol dof Roland GI-20 so I can start using this in Logic first - I ain't got the dosh for a floor unit yet but I will save for one and hopefully get one in due course - I was thinking of getting the Roland GR-20 as the full fat version is a little out of my price range for now. Anyway some new MIDI-fied recordings will be on the way soon and least to say I'm really excited about the whole new sound world that will be availlable to me now - I simply don't have enough time to get better at playing piano so this is the perfect solution for me...

A couple of pics:

[attachment=42006:sei_midi_controls.jpg]

[attachment=42005:sei_midi_input.jpg]

I'll keep you posted with any more updates

Mike