Why become a member? ×

Sei Series II single cut - now MIDI enabled...!

urb

That's looks darn fantastic :huh:

The bass looks simply awesome and clearly demonstrates why Sei basses are among the best you can buy anywhere. I love the last photo which shows the carve of the back of the neck and the transition of single cut to the neck itself.

Also, love the full facings front and back. Only a few Seis have that :)

Edited by 7string

Thanks fellas - it's been a long wait but when you see the results and it all starts to come together it's quite a rush - I'm just gonna chill now until she's finally ready - anyway I found one more pic on my phone that I didn't upload - the back in full:

[attachment=5074:back_full.jpg]

See y'all again soon... :)

M

[quote name='jwbassman' post='125711' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:38 PM']Fantastic progress - looks stunning - does the single cut design mean the bass is much heavier than a standard shape?[/quote]

Cheers fella - you'd be amazed at how light this bass actually is - I think it's going to be lighter than the fretless on my avatar <<< - because it's ash on the wings and maple on the thru-neck it's essentially made of very light woods - both great tone woods however. The stringers through the neck are Wenge which is hard as hell - as is the ebony finger board - but again they are both relatively light. As for the facings they are so light it's untrue - and even though they look incredible are one of the least important (sound-wise anyway) components... but hey they really are ridiculously lovely :)

The overall feel of the bass - even minus strings - is a very compact instrument that will (hopefully) be very easy to play - and almost as importantly - wear for hours at a time. I have had some serious issues with the weight of my thru-neck Thumb bass of late - getting it to gigs and rehearsals on my back and then playing for two hours then getting home - has really made my back sore at times. Not good! I'm not the young pup I was once and I really want to avoid any injury - this bass will go a long way to helping me achieve that.

I'll hopefully have some more progress to report soon - but hey - she'll be ready when she's ready.

M

[quote name='urb' post='125754' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:27 PM']Cheers fella - you'd be amazed at how light this bass actually is - I think it's going to be lighter than the fretless on my avatar <<< - because it's ash on the wings and maple on the thru-neck it's essentially made of very light woods - both great tone woods however. The stringers through the neck are Wenge which is hard as hell - as is the ebony finger board - but again they are both relatively light. As for the facings they are so light it's untrue - and even though they look incredible are one of the least important (sound-wise anyway) components... but hey they really are ridiculously lovely ;)

The overall feel of the bass - even minus strings - is a very compact instrument that will (hopefully) be very easy to play - and almost as importantly - wear for hours at a time. I have had some serious issues with the weight of my thru-neck Thumb bass of late - getting it to gigs and rehearsals on my back and then playing for two hours then getting home - has really made my back sore at times. Not good! I'm not the young pup I was once and I really want to avoid any injury - this bass will go a long way to helping me achieve that.

I'll hopefully have some more progress to report soon - but hey - she'll be ready when she's ready.

M[/quote]

Very interesting - I weighed my Overwater and Fender P last night just out of interest... I've been having a spot of back trouble myself :) tweaked it the other weekend lifting gear out of the theatre pit :huh: and thought that having the bass strapped on for a long rehearsal (4 hours) on Sunday was probably a contributory factor to it not getting any better.

My Overwater weighed in at 11lbs, really quite heavy and the P at pretty standard 9lb 3/4. I've been thinking about trying to find a lighter alternative - I love my Overwater and I've had it over 4 years as my main bass, so would be reluctant to change, however I only have one back and don't want to make it any worse than it already is...

I like the look of a single cut but was concerned that it would equal more weight - but as you quite rightly point out its the woods that are used rather than the shape that I should be more focused on. My Overwater is a Walnut core with an Ash top, Maple and Purpleheart thru neck, and Ebony board (fretless). I'm guessing the Walnut is the key element here as there's not really enough of any of the others to make a real impact.

I'd be interested to know what your new bass weighs in at when you get hold of it - bet you can't wait :huh:

I'm sure she'll sound even better than she looks ;)

John

Hi John,

I have a Sei 7 string which has a walnut core and comes in at just under 10lbs. It really doesn't feel that heavy though. I'm a massive fan a Sei Basses and was for a dozen years or so before I placed an order. They really are beautiful instruments both aesthetically and ergonomically.

I can also recommend a Comfort Strapp. It's a wide, soft neoprene strap which really does help with a weighty bass. That strap lives on my Conklin 7 string which weighs a full stone (I weighed it tonight before I answered the singlecut bass thread). I have a nice, comfortable Sadowsky strap for my Sei.

That's the only problem with Sei Basses. No merchandise !! I suppose they got it the right way around by worrying more about the instruments and less about putting their name on straps and caps and such things :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mike...that is quite possibly one of the nicest Sei's i've seen!!! I'm sorry, but i need to try this when you've had this for a while dude... :) I'm pleased it's coming together nicely my friend, can't wait to hear some of your tunes with it!

Need to get myself down to the gallery soon!!!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='135994' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:09 PM']Mike...that is quite possibly one of the nicest Sei's i've seen!!! I'm sorry, but i need to try this when you've had this for a while dude... :) I'm pleased it's coming together nicely my friend, can't wait to hear some of your tunes with it!

Need to get myself down to the gallery soon!!![/quote]

Yah man - it's going to be amazing - no real news at this stage aside from the pickups are still on route from Nordstrand - the Fatstacks being so popular right now I think they've been struggling to keep up - fingers crossed they should be there next week.

I know it might seem a little quiet on the Sei front generally but believe me there are about ten Sei's nearing completion right now Martin and John have been working flat out and there are some extremely gorgeous basses in the pipeline - mine being one of them!

And yes I'm gearing up for some new recordings - just got myself Logic 8 Pro - mmmmm, nice!

Will keep y'all posted - the main thing is I should have my Sei for the bash in March.

M

• 1 month later...

Hey all - just had an amazing few days at the Frankfurt Musik Messe - I'll try and get my pics posted soon - but on my arrival just as I was walking through Heathrow to baggage reclaim I got a message from the Gallery...

...my Sei will be ready for collection on Monday/Tuesday this week. Yay!

So I'll almost certainly be at the bash with it in a couple of weeks - pics here first obv.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='BigRedX' post='158392' date='Mar 16 2008, 01:23 PM']I saw this bass on Martin's workbench on Friday when I was checking the progress on mine. I have to say it looks even more wonderful 'in the flesh' than the photos.[/quote]

Nice one Red - I can't wait to collect it - your new one looks absolutely amazing too!

Sei's totally rock!

M

[quote name='urb' post='158572' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:29 PM']Nice one Red - I can't wait to collect it - your new one looks absolutely amazing too!

Sei's totally rock!

M[/quote]

Thanks

And yes they do. I'm now really excited about mine since it stopped being an idea and some nice bits of wood and has taken on a proper bass shape. I can just imagine how you must feel with your bass just days away from completion!

I've just re-strung my Sei after a disastrous experiment with another cheaper brand/gauge of string :wacko:

Now it's just un-damn-unbelievable to play.

As you guys probably know, I had to wait a year for mine to be completed and it was worth every moment. When I was going to collect it, I arrived in London on the Thursday before the Tuesday it was due. I couldn't wait to see what it was like, so I got off the train at Kings X and jumped a cab to Sei HQ complete with my suitcase!! I think I surprised Martin, but hey, I'd waited a year. Usual tea and choccies were served though :)

OK dudes - she's finished!

I got the call last week to say Monday or Tuesday and as it happened I had to go into the office very early this morning but was finihsed by 3.30pm - so I called Alex and he said "bas is not ready sorry - tomorrow for sure" - I was just about to jump on the tube (not on the tracks BTW!) and my mobile buzzed again and it was Al - "Martin says come by - the bass will be finished today..." - so I did.

Basically it's late - I've had a long day - so I won't post loads of pics, plus the ones I took look crap (I need natural light to show off the burl best) - there's a link to them on my website below - I couldn't resist knocking up a very quick 'Sei Test' video just so you get the vaguest idea of how lovely the bass sounds - it really does sound awesome.

[attachment=6573:SB1.jpg]

[attachment=6574:SB_backclose.jpg]

[attachment=6575:SB_full.jpg]

Better pics soon - I promise:

[url="http://www.munkio.com/music/music_seibass.html"]http://www.munkio.com/music/music_seibass.html[/url]

Cheers guys - it really is an amazing bass - the pics just don't do it justice and the more I play it, the better it feels - it's just effortless fun and dangerously addictive!

Better shots coming soon.

Mike

A little snap of the happy couple.... :)

[attachment=6581:Mike_SB_new.jpg]