Why become a member? ×

One in a series..Why would someone a G & L ??

BaggyMan

Simply because they are really well made basses which sound absolutely brilliant.
If you like a Fender you will like them, but they are so much more than that.
The Pick ups have a bigger tone and palette to me, they will cover the Fender territory and give you more than that, add in the vast array of finishes and neck sizes available then you have an awesome template.
The nuances between the line ups and their Pup placement really do give you everything you need across the board.

I'll
Post a pic in a bit

There is a G&L for every occasion, they are great value and the ones I have had were all confortable designs with a great sound.
I have three an L1500, L1505 and SB2. If I was limited to one bass it would bave to be one of the L2000 series. If I wanted a cheaper bass it would have to be a Tribute, as the L2000 that I had in the past was one of the best basses that I have ever parted with.
I quite like them!

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482766347' post='3202590']
I'm with Pinball except that I would have the ASAT, same electronics, but love the shape. Interestingly Pinball, have you modded your L1500 pre-amp and tone pots? I have and it's a whole new awesome beast!
[/quote]
Hi, That's interesting. No I havent altered them (L1500/L1505). I kind of found my tone both active and passive just by knocking a bit the bass eq.
I would be really interested to hear what you have done.
Note: I'm near Bristol

Edited by Pinball

A fellow Bristolian - excellent!.

I got this from the Basses by leo site, so i cannot lay claim to being a technological genius, but for me it has made a huge difference. I never played the bass with the knobw past about 75%, which so far as my understanding goes is how they were designed to roll at, due to them being super hot, but with the L1500 i just found the treble region too much, especially with the pre-amp on and was almost like finger nails on a blackboard. It nearly made me move the bass on, i even advertised it on here. I did this mod and the world changed.

1. Replacing the stock R7 resistor with a 22k resistor kills the treble boost when the preamp is on.
2. Replacing the stock capacitor on the treble-cut pot with a .1 uf capacitor enables more treble roll-off.
3. A .001 uf capacitor added to the bass-cut pot (center lug to back of pot) reduces the resonant frequency of the pickup, providing more low end all the time.

The key with point 3 is to ADD the bass pot capacitor, not change it.

I have so much low end it is a complete sub machine as well as being a funk machine. I love my ASAT number 7 neck it is powerful. Adore my ASAT semi hollow with its singing ability, fast number 8 neck and it can still be dirty, but after this mod i have not put down the L1500 and its number 12 neck. Its probably not my favourite Bec, I prefers the other extremes i have, but the sound i get is phenomenal.

Happy to receive a pm for further discussion

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1482767855' post='3202603']
An ASAT is the only bass I own. I have GAS for an LB100 with flats on. Following the G&L factory on Facebook doesn't help, they make some proper corkers!
[/quote]
I use flats on mine, they work really well on the SB-2 P-ups, as they gain some thump but retain the tone of the bass really well

Re: Cuzzie
Thats interesting and sounds great. I am not too worried about the treble but maybe that is because I use flats and like to retain a bit of zing...thats probably why I like Stingrays too. There is a lot to take in on your post. I think I need to have my tea first and then PM you later
Note: I also advertised my L1505 for sale but stopped pushing it when I found my sound...I got the L1500 recently in a trade and I really should sell one but I'm not sure which one. It changes on a daily basis.

Edited by Pinball

Totally get your point, I use GHS Boomers and if I had flats it would be tamer, but I like the grit of the Boomers.
What I have is very old Boomers on the ASAT solid body as it is just a more meaty bass and with the thick neck, it really keeps the thud of a dense and classic almost Motown sound if I want.
As I said before the semi hollow needs to keep strings in the new end so the rich harmonics sing. This bass really likes a pick being used.

I keep fairly fresh strings in the L1500 as now I can do anything with it being able to control the tone and it is a finger machine.

Here is some homework on reading the thread...

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1396

With G&L it's all about their pickups, I went through a lot of basses at Bass Direct a couple of years ago and the best sounding was an SB2, clear, articulated sound that was still definitely a precision.

In addition to an American SB2, my main bass is a Tribute L2500, the neck is very comfortable, but again, it's the sound of the pickups that does it for me - bright, clear and powerful, but with the various switching options, very versatile.

Bang for buck, you can't do a lot better than G&L.

I've never played a G&L but I do like the look of them. I've never been a big Fender fan, too over-rated in my book. So:
[list=1]
[*]There are far fewer G&L out there so they're a bit more exclusive
[*]Far fewer copies out there
[*]They're only really known by bassists so again a more select clientele
[*]As they're less well known the quality surprises more people
[*]Certainly easier on the eye than P basses
[/list]

@baggyman the L2K series has one volume, one bass, one treble knob which should suit you. The switches are for pick up selectors, series and parallel and for passive or active configuration.

LB-100, Kiloton, SB-1 are all 1 volume and 1 tone.

M series is a different pre-amp completely active and does take some time to dial in, but they have less hot pick ups and give a different tonal palette, probably a bit gentler (tho I hate that word...).

Here is the current range:
http://glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp

But also remember there is the L1000 or 'Wunkay', El toro, interceptor and there were E models, slight differences between 80s and 90s models.

@TheGreek you have to try one, you really do. You may not love it (although you probably will) but you won't hate it one bit. Admittedly I found G&L early in my bass adventures having had a Kramer D-1 (awful) Fender Cabronita and Fender Starcaster, and played a few others.
You know you want to!

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1482774578' post='3202657']

@TheGreek you have to try one, you really do. You may not love it (although you probably will) but you won't hate it one bit. Admittedly I found G&L early in my bass adventures having had a Kramer D-1 (awful) Fender Cabronita and Fender Starcaster, and played a few others.
You know you want to!
[/quote]

You're just a bad influence on me...as if my GAS wasn't bad enough already!! My mum warned me about people like you :lol: :lol:

I have around 7 nice basses to gig with, however recently I have been gigging with my G&L ASAT bass (blue burst Tele body style, maple neck with loads of birds eye and active pre-amp).

All of that, used for $500.00 with case.

Insane value for a great bass that is highly underrated in the market space.

Blue

Edited by blue

Whilst I am obviously an enthusiast, and am happy to talk about my experiences and learn from others, from those not in G&L land yet, what I will say is that if you are a chronic bass flipper in the U.K., G&L may not be the bass for you. They take a while to re sale, but they are not just for Xmas and most people stateside that flip flip for another G&L