Why become a member? ×

Growly Pub Rock Amp for a Growly Pub Rocker

redbandit599

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1482143059' post='3197894']

I hope you're on commission for Handbox! If not, you might want to renegotiate your promotional status towards their products.
[/quote]

Ha.. nope. Just an enthusiastic fan who likes to talk about stuff (see also TKS, Maruszczyk).

I'll stick my oar in. Mark bass TTE 500 is an all valve pre amp (and analogue power module). I've pm'd you about mine which I may sell in the new year! It can sound growly with the gain driving the pre amp but has a master volume to keep things balanced.

Edited by krispn

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1482102919' post='3197718']As it is I'll give the GK Fusion I've got on the way a go, if it's not up to it I think you've all given me some good options. Thanks all for your input and time! [/quote]

I'm sure you'll love it, they're great amps.

The Fusion will bark and grind in a rock band, I'd also second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the Orange Terror and I'm having a lot of fun in my 'proper' rock band with a Walkabout - they work really well in that setting, and running at 2.67 into 3x112s, it's REALLY loud... :0)

You don't need any real versatility, otherwise I'd be recommending the Magellan and its Drive Channel, but with all the other cool stuff it'll do, it's overkill for a straightforward rock band...

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1482231819' post='3198600']
Orange Terror if you don't have to DI. Proper old school fat rock sound. I miss mine a lot.
[/quote]

ASIDE: Does the OTB not have a DI? That seems odd these days.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1482237145' post='3198676']
I thought they had "tamed" it on the later ones, must have been extremely "hot" if the pad on the mixer could not tame it though.
[/quote]
I wondered if it was because people were plugging them into the mic preamp input rather than the line-in.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1482237145' post='3198676']
I thought they had "tamed" it on the later ones, must have been extremely "hot" if the pad on the mixer could not tame it though.
[/quote]

The pad on the mixer was not enough. Played plenty of established venues with pro sound people and new bells and whistles desks and they could not cope with the signal. Went through a Sansamp to the desk and used the OTB as a stage monitor until I got rid of it. When I used it without the DI at a couple of rare pub gigs it sounded glorious though. If the DI was OK I would still have it now.
Later ones were sorted I heard.

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I would suggest the Orange Bass terror too. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]Im a bit of an all valve snob but the OBT is one of the only hyrbirds ive tried/heard that really did it for me[/color][/size][/font]

I've used an Orange Terror Bass for 4 years and still love it. Swapped out the 12ax7's for 12at7wa's. That calmed the gain to a more manageable level and gave a bit more headroom. Still has the growl, grunge and grind you could be looking for and pretty cheap for a minter now as they are discontinued I believe.

Only ever had one 'complaint' about the hot DI, solved for a fiver with a -15db attenuator.

The futures bright.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...