Why become a member? ×

New Flea Bass?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1481987916' post='3196800']
I don't know anything about the new Fleabass, but I heard the new RHCP single on the radio this morning and the melody of the verses bears an uncanny resemblance to "Benny and the Jets" by Elton John.
[/quote]

Elton John appears on the album and I think co wrote the song he's on. Not sure if it's that track though...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1481997248' post='3196897']
I did a search and all there were were a few hokey live photos of him playing a Jazz Bass shaped bass with a MM pickup on it. It could have been silver or pink. That's how good those pics were.
[/quote]

There's a video clip I believe,I'll report back.

If you follow Fender custom shop on Instagram you will see some of the custom basses they are making flea with active eq and MM pickup on a jazz body. It long ago they posted a relic pink one and there is the well known sparkle silver one.

As much as I love the look of the road worn flea, I agree completely! A jazz with MM pickup would be an interesting move from Fender and it would be nice to see a signature bass from Fender with some real unique features.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1482011662' post='3197011']
As much as I love the look of the road worn flea, I agree completely! A jazz with MM pickup would be an interesting move from Fender and it would be nice to see a signature bass from Fender with some real unique features.
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure someone on here has a Maruszczyk that they specced as a jazz bass shape with a single MM pickup.

Edited by Cato

I'd certainly be VERY interested in a sparkle finish 5 string version of some kind, I like fenders, I like jazz basses, I like musicman pickups especially in the musician sweet spot, and I like silver basses.

Looks a fairly simple cost effective bass to build too as they have 4 and 5 string Jazz basses out there already, I'd want the US neck on the five though.

When I asked the builder at Fender Custom who made them for Flea if there were plans for a production model, he said he wasn't aware of any.

They're a way more interesting prospect than the Jazz they released.....but might take a LOT of noise from fans to get a production model

Si

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482004437' post='3196964']
Seen the clip now, it's the pink one he's not used since it came out, lol.
[/quote]

I saw them recently and he had the newer Fender Jazz MM bass but it has purple LA Lakers graphics, looked great. I'd guess it was the pink one resprayed.

The problem is that Flea himself said that the Jazz was great for recording but didn't cut through enough for live work - I'm guessing he is using a Jazz shaped bass with a Stingray pickup due to the deal with Fender instead of the Modulus.

That's why I don't see the point in the actual signature bass unless you're using it for recording or don't want to sound like Flea live. If any of us want to sound like Flea or at least use what he is using currently live then we're going to need the one with the musicman pickup in it.

I'd certainly like one of those

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1482088119' post='3197544']
The problem is that Flea himself said that the Jazz was great for recording but didn't cut through enough for live work - I'm guessing he is using a Jazz shaped bass with a Stingray pickup due to the deal with Fender instead of the Modulus.

That's why I don't see the point in the actual signature bass unless you're using it for recording or don't want to sound like Flea live. If any of us want to sound like Flea or at least use what he is using currently live then we're going to need the one with the musicman pickup in it.

I'd certainly like one of those

[/quote]

Yeah I'm collecting the parts to have one built. Can't wait to get cracking with the build

Edited by walshy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482094107' post='3197628']
Are you going to have the Lakers paintjob?!
[/quote]

Dunno I have the Modulus pink sparkle and the flea pink jazz so maybe something a bit different to pink! Need to get a neck sorted too!