Why become a member? ×

Fault or not Fault? Thomann`s customer service

zvirus

Hi Everyone,

Just wonder if maybe I do not understand meaning of the word "fault"

In short. Bought a fretless bass and discovered that the bridge is mounted too far from the nut and can`t set the intonation correctly on G string (I do set it behind the lines). Of course contacted Thomann and explained in detail what is the problem.

I have sent them this message:
[quote]
Received my new bass few days ago and I`m quiet happy but facing small problem.

I do setup intonation BEHIND the lines for fretless bass and always play like that. In my new squier they have attached the bridge too far and I`m struggling to get right intonation on G string as shown on the picture attached - I`d have to move saddle out of the plate to get right intonation.

I do not want fiddle with returns as like everything(!) about this bass but same time want to fix it.

The problem is, if I move the bridge towards the pickup I`ll expose those 5 mounting holes and bass will look pretty bad. The only solution is wider/longer new bridge installed.[/quote]

EDIT: Funniest thing is there is a "proper" row of holes under the bridge but for some reason somebody drilled another set of holes at the factory and screwed up whole thing... by moving the bridge towards the body`s edge.

After [u]almost 2 weeks[/u] I got this reply:

[quote]
Hello Tomas,

The guitar service department have an answer for you regarding the bridge.

The only option is to place another bridge on the base. But you have to buy it as [u][b]it`s no product fail[/b][/u]. I think there will be no bridge that fits 100% to the holes which are already in the body. So you have to drill some new holes for fixing the bridge.

This needs to be done professionally. Maybe we can find a fitting bridge for that if you want to do it like that. For that it would be nice to have the measures from the ground plate and the screws (length). We could also do a quote for it if you want us to do it for you.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Kind regards,

Adam W.

[b]Thomann GmbH[/b]
Customer Care International
[/quote]

Anyone can tell me pls. If the bass is leaving factory and bridge is screwed in wrong place is that a fault????

Yes I know I can move it but this will expose the holes already drilled (wrongly) in the body.

Thanks
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1481733300' post='3194672']
Have you had it less than [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_moneyback.html"]30 days[/url]?
[/quote]

Thanks, yes I know, but bass is wonderful and light do not want to return it. My point is: [u]I can fix it on my own as have skills but why shall I pay for someone`s FAULT??????[/u]

Sounds to me like someone else bought it, moved the bridge, changed their mind and used the distance selling rules to simply send it back. Shame you didn't do the same - simply send it back saying "Sorry, not for me".

I can't see how a manufacturer would put the bridge in one place, then move it. After all, in the factory they'll have a jig that sets all bridges in the same place.

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1481733459' post='3194677']
Thanks, yes I know, but bass is wonderful and light do not want to return it. My point is: [u]I can fix it on my own as have skills but why shall I pay for someone`s FAULT??????[/u]
[/quote]

Don't. Simply send it back saying "it's not for me. Have it back"

Then buy another and THEN see if you want to do something.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1481733603' post='3194679']
Sounds to me like someone else bought it, moved the bridge, changed their mind and used the distance selling rules to simply send it back. Shame you didn't do the same - simply send it back saying "Sorry, not for me".

I can't see how a manufacturer would put the bridge in one place, then move it. After all, in the factory they'll have a jig that sets all bridges in the same place.

Don't. Simply send it back saying "it's not for me. Have it back"

Then buy another and THEN see if you want to do something.
[/quote]

;)

2 rows of the holes been drilled [b]BEFORE [/b]painting and I can prove it(by taking pictures). Why will I or someone else move bridge towards the body`s edge If needed intonation set behind lines???

Still dont know is it fault or not?

Bass is brand new NOT B stock

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1481734037' post='3194689']
;)

2 rows of the holes been drilled [b]BEFORE [/b]painting and I can prove it(by taking pictures). Why will I or someone else move bridge towards the body`s edge If needed intonation set behind lines???

Still dont know is it fault or not?

Bass is brand new NOT B stock
[/quote]

I know Thomann are usually nothing short of brilliant with their customer service. If, and that's if, they have offered to resolve this by accepting a return and you have chosen not to do so and propose to sort it yourself I don't see that they have any further obligation.

I'm making assumptions here of course.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1481734008' post='3194688']
Did you buy it B stock and have they offered to let you return it?

If they have, and you choose to keep it then you'd probably be liable to sort it out,
[/quote]

No return offered so maybe they assumed I did the mess.... Have nothing to do and drill holes to screw up my intonation(?)

Anyway, I`ll fix it and pay on my own but Thomann is no more good shop for me - Thanks for all responses!

Cheers,
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1481734500' post='3194698']
No return offered so maybe they assumed I did the mess.... Have nothing to do and drill holes to screw up my intonation(?)

Anyway, I`ll fix it and pay on my own but Thomann is no more good shop for me - Thanks for all responses!

Cheers,
Tomas
[/quote]
Their response sounds to me like they think you moved the bridge. Certainly what you've found sounds odd. I wouldn't blame Thomman. They're only guilty of jumping to conclusions.

If you want anything more from them, why not send them pictures of the holes with the paint in them?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1481734935' post='3194702']
Their response sounds to me like they think you moved the bridge. Certainly what you've found sounds odd. I wouldn't blame Thomman. They're only guilty of jumping to conclusions.

If you want anything more from them, why not send them pictures of the holes with the paint in them?
[/quote]

Agreed - by the sounds of it they haven't understood that the fault isn't down to you. Try again

I've found their Customer Service to be inconsistent at times, sometimes fine and other times where it is technical they seem to adopt a very intransigent position.
Calmly explain all the issues to them again, send photos, it could even be worth a phone call? I spent a month in dispute with them once with a demo Line6 Variax Bass: in the end I wrote to the CEO and it got resolved.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1481742283' post='3194804']
I've found their Customer Service to be inconsistent at times, sometimes fine and other times where it is technical they seem to adopt a very intransigent position.
Calmly explain all the issues to them again, send photos, it could even be worth a phone call? I spent a month in dispute with them once with a demo Line6 Variax Bass: in the end I wrote to the CEO and it got resolved.
[/quote]

Thanks, new set of strings coming tomorrow so will have opportunity to show them I`m not another time waster. Just feel bit disappointed as paid for new instrument not 2nd hand 50 owners one...

If I were you I'd take the photos and email them saying, "Having removed the bridge to assess repair options I have found that the bass has two sets of mounting screw holes for the bridge - one in the correct position and one further back which seems to be that cause of the bridge misplacement. This is clearly not correct and unacceptable I need an new bass guitar. On that basis I will be returning it under the Distance Selling regulations for a full refund.

Whether you like other aspects of the bass it is clearly faulty or has been messed with and is therefore not of merchantable quality. You'd be daft to keep a bass you know to be fundamentally faulty whereas if you bought another of the same model you'd probably find it had all the characteristics you like and none of the weird faults.

AS the others said: it seems to me they did not understand that the holes were there already and not made by you. If you can produce pictures (can you post them here too, please?) that clearly show the holes were there before painting, as you indicate, then I'm sure they'll realise it was not your fault and they may let you have it at a discount. Of course, they may simply choose to take it back for full refund, and if you want to keep it that won't do much.

Personally, I'd send it back and get another.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1481790869' post='3195102']
I should contact them again. It's unlikely you'll speak to the same person so I'd start afresh and be clear about what happened and tell them you're sending it back.
[/quote]

Thank You. This is what I did today, but the problem is I have only 6 days left for return and it takes 2 weeks before I get response.... so they are rather expecting return...

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1481787892' post='3195078']
Am I missing something here? that bridge is clearly in the wrong place. Send it back.

I can't iunderstand you saying it is so good you want to keep it. It's a Squier, the replacement will be better as it will have the bridge in the correct position.
[/quote]

Well, overall its good bass and I know how to fix it but Thomann`s reply annoyed me a lot I`d say.... its rather now about showing them that crappy service wont make things better....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481798606' post='3195184']
I've never had to wait two weeks for a reply from Thomann.
[/quote]

Well, I dont care any more. One more time bought a bass online and one more time things went wrong.... I have requested return label, thanks all for inputs!

T.