Why become a member? ×

Portastudios

Hobbayne

I use the Zoom R16 all the time. It's ace.

I tend to use it just as a recorder and then dump all the wavs onto my PC and throw 'em into Cubase LE4. A relatively cheap set up, but with a bit of care, you can get great results. I still get a bit nostalgic for my old Fostex X15 now and then...

I'm still using the Zoom 1608 but do find editing a bit/lot clunky compared to how it is done in a d.a.w., but I don't have a d.a.w.!
The R16 and R24 are the natural successors and look to work nicely as a control surface. Not sure what it has built in in the way of compressor, effects or mastering.
It's nice being able to record 8 tracks, so can do kit, guitar, bass and 2 vocals in one go.

I used to have a Zoom MRS4 which was amazing. Weighed nothing at all and was easy to use.

Because at the time I was at University, my brother was too but on the other side of the country and our guitarist was down in Oxford, we posted the recorder between us. I'd record a bass line with a click, post it to Tim who would put drums down then send it to Dan who did guitar, then sometimes I'd re-do my bass bit and send it on again etc.

I believe it even fit through the letterbox

X-15 graduate here too... went on to a Fostex 260, then took a major sabbatical during which the world of recording was revolutionised! I found the idea of a DAW intimidating when I came back, so I went for a Tascam DP-008:

(now superseded by the DP-008EX). But when I started to want to do serious editing (and MIDI), I plunged into the DAW world. The plus of the Tascam and its ilk is that it's super-portable compared to computer + interface.

Ive got a focusrite idock for sale if anyones interested ?
Very intuative to use as it docks an ipad and so is touch screen.... Works with many platforms such as garageband but i use auria with it and its essentially a 64 track desk with multiple plugins ,effects and filters etc.... Toch of a button to export tracks to wav files and drop into drop bax etc.....
I just dont get time to use it...
Its the studio kit , boxed, as new with studio qual headphones ,mic, leads etc.... Ready to go...

Anyone interested give me a shout....