Why become a member? ×

Guess what I played through last night

steve-soar

I couldn't get transport for the Tech 6x10 last night, so I hired an amp at the rehearsal rooms, I was told on the phone that it would be "working but we don't know which one it will be".
I walked into the room with the drummer and there it was, a Carlsbro Stingray, probably 25+ years old, single 15" speaker in a big old box.
As I remember, they were 150 watts into the single 15", I plugged in and guess what? it sounded sh*t, it was farting straight away and everything inside the cab was rattling but I will tell you this, it was stupidly loud and with a good replacement speaker, it would be one hell of a powerful amp.
I had the volume on my bass at about 2/3 and the amp was no more than 3 and it totally overpowered drums, keys and vocals if I turned it up any more.
If anybody is looking for a dirt cheap combo for punk/rock type sounds, here's your baby, it had a murderous natural distortion just from all of its problems but it sounded great when we were jamming punk/thrash riffs when we wre warming up.
If you're looking for that kind of sound buy it and let it melt the face off the front row, with a pick and a Precision, you've got instant JJ Burnel circa 77-79.
It's not all roses, there is no bottom end from it and a low B would be useless through it but I loved the time we spent together last night, I'll never forget you Carly. :wub:
What other so-called "crappy" amps have suprised you?

Edited by steve-soar

I had 2 Carlsboro Stingrays - one after the other. The older was silver grey and the newer one green. I liked them - I found the band pass filter thing very useable. Never tried a combo though. In those days I was 'gimee me a 4x12 or gimee death'.

To be honest I've never really had a crappy amp surprising me by being good. Sadly I've had (or tried) several 'good' ones that surprised me by being crap.

No names mentioned , but Mark Bass , Eden and Ashdown are words I feel an urge to write down :)

Apologies to proud owners but I never pretended to be other than an opinionated bar steward that knows f**k all !

Hi Doc I know what you mean, it could only do one thing well and that was punk fuzz bass, everything else played through it sounded grim.
I use to have a McGregor Bassman 200 head with a HH 2X15, that sounded terrible and I knew that after only 3 months of playing bass.
The first time I was anywhere even remotely happy with my sound was with a Peavey Combo 300, then I got an SVT II and that does put things into perspective.
I didn't find anything that truely satisfied me until now, with the Aguilar DB680 or SVT IIP into a power amp, into my Tech cab, this rig gives my a mind blowing sound, ultra slam and as loud as an SVT stack and a third of the weight. :)

Edited by steve-soar

THe best bass sound I've ever heard was at a band I went to see practise with a view to auditioning for.

The bass player was playing a Stingray with a pick through a Peavey 1x15 + 2x10 and the head was a Peavey MKVI I think. Amazing punchy sound. It literally felt like a punch in the stomach

Edited by AndyMartin

This is the rig i used a while ago.
I had the XLR from the LMII running in to the input (might have been FX return) and at low volume it sounded quite nice.
As soon as we had to play with a drummer it all went to pot and sounded terrible.

Edited by dave_bass5

my first rig (back in the day) was a carlsbro stingray head (the green one) played through an HH 2x15, remember HH gear? :huh:

sounded ok but improved when i took out the HH speakers and replaced with celestion CELESTION POWERCELL`s :huh:

this thread takes me back....

but nostalgia aint what it used to be....... :)

[quote name='uptonmark' post='306361' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:14 PM']just found a pic....

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url][/quote]

That's what I use at practice! Piece of crap... can't get a good tone, can't get decent volume without distortion (even when turning the bass right down) and everything rattles. The other practice room has a Behringer... not sure which is worse.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='306395' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:45 PM']I've got a Carlsbro Bass Bomber combo.

I love it it. If only it had a D/I output socket, I'd be in heaven.

Is there any way to fit a D/I socket or would it cost more than the amp?[/quote]

Why dont you buy a di box?

[quote name='markytbass' post='306725' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:25 PM']I had a 100w stingray head looked more retro than the one pictured but had the little push buttons including the red "fart" button. Was it labelled deep or bass boost I can't remember but cos I had it going through an 16ohm 18 inch speaker it sounded like a fart[/quote]
I WANT TO SEE THE RED FART BUTTON....

Every amp should have one...G-K's is thankfully called 'Power Off' :)

When the 300 watt Behringer head that I normally play through at the studio packed in tonight the studio owner dug out an old dusty two channel Acoustic head which, he assures me, has been used by Jim Lea at some time in the past and I kid you not, it was fantastic. Loads of power and a huge sound.

Far better IMHO than the SVT350 that I played through at Robanna's on Monday night.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='uptonmark' post='306361' date='Oct 14 2008, 03:14 PM']just found a pic....

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url][/quote]

Ooh I had one of them back in the 80s and the matching 2x15" 300W cab. What a pile of sh*te that setup was :)
Don't think Carlsbro designed the cab, just threw it together with odd bits of wood they found lying around. My farts have more low end :huh:

Then they had the nerve to put an XLR socket on it so they could call it pro (and charge a few more quid) and a warning about sounds levels of 115dB making you physically sick - might have got that sound level for a nanosecond before it exploded with a 10kW amp :huh:
The only sick feeling I had was the first time I heard it at rehearsal and the bottom driver failed.

Saying that, the amp itself wasn't so bad when put through a reasonable cab.

Pete.

I had a weird amp when I first started out.

It was a some kind of solid state thing made in someone's garage in Southport called a "Sperrin" (Jim Sperrin was the fella's name).

I got it with a huge 20" bass bin as a speaker and it sounded brilliant.

Only problem with it was it hardly ever worked if you moved it - which was sh*t for gigs :)