Why become a member? ×

Martin McAloon (prefab sprout)

Twincam

Was just listening to some prefab sprout which I do like, I think they had a fair few great and memorable songs. But some imo average filler stuff too.
Great band non the less, possibly underrated and should of had a bit more success maybe?
I was way too young in the 80s to notice them so I'm just guessing that.

Anyhow one thing that struck me is the bass. Its not overplayed, is very fitting and has a imo great tone.
Pretty much all there well known tunes have a great bass line.
Amyone else appreciate Martin McAloons playing? I don't think I've seen him mentioned much if at all on here.

• Like 5

"When love breaks down" is one of my favourite bass lines (and tones) B) It's a Rick in the video, but sounds very much like a Musicman to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZkLV3ZjeI

Yes - Cutlass-tastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PkIO1SmO8

Edited by Conan

Have to take gentle issue around 'average filler stuff' ! They were doing material with quirky arrangements, haunting vocals and meaningful lyrics at a time when it was not fashionable, the British Steely Dan?
Just looking for my copy of one of their CDs. I believe they were signed to the Kitchenware label initally and based in the NE.

Hot dog, jumpin frog, Albuquerque!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1479398865' post='3176261']
Have to take gentle issue around 'average filler stuff' ! They were doing material with quirky arrangements, haunting vocals and meaningful lyrics at a time when it was not fashionable, the British Steely Dan?
Just looking for my copy of one of their CDs.[b] I believe they were signed to the Kitchenware label initally and based in the NE.[/b]

[/quote]

They are from Co Durham, hence the "Langley Park to Memphis" Album title.

• Like 1

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1479398865' post='3176261']
Just looking for my copy of one of their CDs. I believe they were signed to the Kitchenware label initally and based in the NE.

[/quote]

Indeed. Maybe filler was not the correct word. Some of there stuff isn't as strong but that's probably because there better stuff is so so good.

There one of those bands I think you could place them in other era's and they would come up with great stuff.

[quote name='simes' timestamp='1479440106' post='3176576']
Tenuous claim to fame......I was once on a course with Martin's wife and Wendy Smith taught me music therapy :-)
[/quote]

You should send that in to Shaun Keaveny's "Small Claims Court" on BBC 6Music's breakfast show. Perfect for the feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...