Why become a member? ×

NBD: Gibson bass joins the nest

Cat Burrito

Interesting week the other week, I spotted a "Gibson" Thunderbird in a store (that I'll decline to name). I had a go and liked it but worked out it was priced incorrectly - they had it down as something it wasn't, having taken it in as a trade. I did some research on my phone and for the first time in my life haggled a price (in this case half price) and bought it. I liked it a lot, gigged it and decided to get an actual Gibson one, rather than the bolt on necked copy.

Gibson are discontinuing the Thunderbird and they aren't as readily available as they were. I found one an hour away so got up early to get to Wembley Music this morning. I figured try before you buy when spending £1000+.

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Tim_73/media/FullSizeRender%201_zpsrhutmz4a.jpg.html"][/url]

The second I picked it up it was light and felt good. I plugged it in and bam, I knew they'd be selling it today. Growing up in the late 80s some of my favourite players played a T-bird and I really liked the idea of owning a proper one myself.

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Tim_73/media/IMG_0484_zpszppwpcgb.jpg.html"][/url]

So the new addition means I will be reigning in my spending for a while but totally worth it. A bit different after 30 years of mostly Fender but it now means all my basses quite literally cover all the basses when it comes to retro rock. And it certainly has a rock star cool about it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1478368837' post='3168706']Coming over all Nikki Sixx on us eh, Tim?[/quote]
I was thinking of Sami Yaffa in Hanoi Rocks, Nigel Mogg in The Quireboys or Kelly Nickels in LA Guns. Classic sunburst was always a bit too traditional for Motley, no? I guess him & Pete Way are the two people most would associate T-birds with though.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1478613428' post='3170296']
Are Gibson really discontinuing them? :huh:
[/quote]

I think they already have, but it'll only be temporary.

They often drop stuff from their bass range, then reintroduce the same model or something very similar a of couple years later.

There's no Thunderbird (as far as I know) in the 2016 catalogue, but next year, who knows?

Edited by Cato

That's a stunning looking bass - I've always loved the look of T birds, tho never owned a real one. (I too grew up on late 80s rock in which T birds were a major source of drooling by my teenage self! Motley Crue, Tesla and even early Aerosmith.)

Well done chap.

Enjoy the new bass!

I want too play a Gibson Thunderbird.
I have the Epiphone classic which is very close nearly identical materials and construction wise and has the same USA gibson tb+ pickups.
To see if it really is as close as its more expensive brethren they say it is.

The brand snob in me just hates the fact its an Epiphone but if it really is similar to the gibson version I could accept it as a money savvy buy.