Why become a member? ×

What quantifies a build diary?

NancyJohnson

Can I ask this simple question?

While I'm sure the Sei/Shuker/ACG builds are certainly worth a look, shouldn't build diaries just embrace the spirit of players who are building their own guitars in their garages with their own sourced parts, their own labour and not for financial gain?

I don't know much about the aforementioned luthiers, but if I wanted to throw some money at one of them, I wouldn't consider it as my build (or anything that warranted a big [i]huzzah look at my build[/i] type post), more that I have a guy building something for me...someone who has the knowledge and access to proper tools and choice of woods. It's just a product of someone else's doing. Personally I'd much rather see someone getting a decent, playable end result from bits of junk and planks of wood sourced on eBay.

I'm not up for a fight here. It's just a question.

P

Many of the products of these build diaries are how they are due to a collaboration between the player and the builder. My RIM Custom 5 wouldn't have looked or sounded like this if Robbie had built it for someone else. The design process for my bass took literally years and many hours of effort on my part before I started speaking with Robbie. He then brought his own ideas and skills to the project and thus a great instrument resulted.

If you work out the hourly rate for a luthier you will see that these guys do it for the love of it, not the money!

Alex

+1 for Mr Claber.. same for my 'Doodle'. I'd also add, that as a techy geeky kind of person, I LOVE to know how things work. I have a burning desire to see why things do what they do or sound a particular way. Seeing these build diaries is thoroughly interesting; I'm not fussed if it is home DIY or a tour of the Yamaha factory!

I created my build diary as I felt that it would be fun to share and I *know* some of you guys are even more geeky than me he he he he!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='304061' date='Oct 10 2008, 05:23 PM']Maybe we should have a new Thread called "Self-build Dairy"?

Personally I find this section fascinating and posted my dairy as an aid to anyone who may be considering either doing something similar or building it themselves from scratch.

P.S. Do you smoke in your car? :huh:[/quote]

+1 on that

I think it would be good to have 2 forums , commercial and private build diaries.
As mentioned earlier it is good to see what people can achieve with a limited workshop but lots of enthusiasm.

and I smoke in my car..........lets not go there again.... :)

I don't have a problem with the co-existing in one forum, I don't find the commercial builder's stuff that interesting so I tend to gloss over it or not read it at all. However, if it's a design I like (RIM springs to mind with that slotted headstock, mmm), then I'll give it a look.

I am more interested in the home build type stuff, the problems and the workarounds, but each to their own. This is probably because I am a hobbyist with the wrong tools and a quarter of the talent of these commercial builders. Otherwise, I'd be one of them. Maybe one day. Have to improve that turnaround time somewhat though :)

I don't think there's a need for a seperate forum for commercial builders. Read what you like, don't read what you don't like.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='304130' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:12 PM']yep another +1 here. My build is unlike anything Jon has ever built before, so again is a bit unique. What he has is the ability and the talent to turn what I want, in to reality.[/quote]

...but do you not get my point? You said as much in your post (and I quote): [i]My build is unlike anything Jon has ever built before[/i]. Jon is building your bass, not [i]you[/i]. I understand the talent these luthiers have, I really do, but my point here is what quantifies a build diary - it's Jon building your bass, so shouldn't he be blowing his own trumpet maybe? I don't know.

At the end of the day, you're paying the guy for his talent and ability to provide you with your dream bass; credit to you for putting your trust and money into someone you believe in, I salute you, but, irrespective of your dreams or desires it's really not so different than placing an order with the Warwick or Fender custom shops (albeit you're dealing on a more personal basis), or getting someone to build you a car part or a computer and taking the credit for it as [i]your [/i]build..

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, but there are a lot of projects creeping into this part of the forum that in my opinion should be elsewhere.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='304145' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:59 PM']...but do you not get my point? You said as much in your post (and I quote): [i]My build is unlike anything Jon has ever built before[/i]. Jon is building your bass, not [i]you[/i]. I understand the talent these luthiers have, I really do, but my point here is what quantifies a build diary - it's Jon building your bass, so shouldn't he be blowing his own trumpet maybe? I don't know.

At the end of the day, you're paying the guy for his talent and ability to provide you with your dream bass; credit to you for putting your trust and money into someone you believe in, I salute you, but, irrespective of your dreams or desires it's really not so different than placing an order with the Warwick or Fender custom shops (albeit you're dealing on a more personal basis), or getting someone to build you a car part or a computer and taking the credit for it as [i]your [/i]build..

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, but there are a lot of projects creeping into this part of the forum that in my opinion should be elsewhere.

P[/quote]
He never took credit for anything :) Some people just find it interesting to see. It'a s build none the less and nobody ever said it had to be just basschat member's builds.

Surely, "Build Diary" is just a diary of an instrument being built. It doesn't stipulate that it has to be built by or for the author of the thread.

I'd love to be able to build an instrument myself, but don't have the skills or the tools. Even if I could there is no way it would be the quality of a Sei/ACG etc. !!

I`m with the OP on this; personally I`d like to see sub forums for

"Someone else is doing ALL the wood work" eg Shuker builds etc,

"All my own work" ie I did EVERYTHING woodworking wise, and a

"Kits`n`Bits" type forum for kit/parts builds/rebuilds.

As it is I find that the Shuker type builds are, to be blunt, boring.

Mark

Edited by wmsheep

A build diary's a thread detailing a bass being built - for the entertainment and possible education of the thread's viewers.

Why divide those diaries up? Pro / Am / Passive / Active /Green /Blue - where would it end? No need fix a problem that doesn't exist.

That's just an answer.

A build diary is a build diary, whether that be a pro/commercial build or a DIY in your own garage type build doesn’t really make a difference…it is a diary of your instrument being built to your individually customised specifications.
I prefer looking through the ‘amateur’ build threads though because for me they’re more inspiring and actually relate more directly to me, rather than £3k+ pro jobs (but I like looking at the pics :)). I’d actually like to see more build diaries of effects units cos I know quite a few people on here are into that kind of thing (whether that be kits or a complete DIY job, I don’t care, it’s all good fun).

I can see what the OP is getting at, but I don’t really agree with the sentiment. However, as the forum expands, maybe there is a case for a few 'Build Diary' sub-forums if people start posting more threads in this section?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='304145' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:59 PM']...but do you not get my point? You said as much in your post (and I quote): [i]My build is unlike anything Jon has ever built before[/i]. Jon is building your bass, not [i]you[/i]. I understand the talent these luthiers have, I really do, but my point here is what quantifies a build diary - it's Jon building your bass, so shouldn't he be blowing his own trumpet maybe? I don't know.

P[/quote]

I think I get your point, but the way I look at it, the build thread wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for me. If I had the talent and ability to make my own bass from scratch, that would have happened. But I don't. Like other Shuker threads, Jon isn't running blind with my bass, but what he is doing, is what I can't. Every step of the way I am in charge, so have to disagree because this is definitely [i]my [/i]bass, and not Jon's - although he is building it - but the bottom line is if it wasn't for me he would not be building a bass like this.

BTW not p1553d 0ff! :)

I like to see people's basses being built, even if they are not doing it themselves. It can be very interesting to see a list of specifications turn itself into a real-life bass guitar. I don't tend to follow the 'standard' builds, but if its got something special, or if the spec is being developed as the bass is being built (e.g. 'mock ups' with hardware placed on a blank bass, or woods put side-by-side) then I find it very interesting.

I'm with Dood on being a geek. I love to see how things are put together to make the final product, regardless of who is doing the work :)

• 3 weeks later...

[size=3]Yeah, as a newbie on here, one of the reasons I came to be a member on this site was the fact I really enjoyed looking through the build diaries. I've done a couple myself and bought hardware because I cant make it myself, I can do some wood work but I'm no luthier. If I needed something doing I'd get it done. I dont care who did what or who payed for it, just a bass is being born! Isn't that what we're all here to disscuss? Our love for our trouser flapping friends!
Custom is custom regardless of customer!? Hmm. :)

My pennys worth. :huh: [/size]

Edited by Minimolizard

• 1 month later...

One thing i hate is a perfect bass, no opportunity to tinker see. I tend to ignore the luthier build threads as personally i don't find them particularly interesting. I would like to see a DIY sub forum for those of us who just can,t leave things alone although there might be some crossover with the repairs and technical forum. One of the advantages would be to keep all the tips and knowledge in one place , take for instance beedsters recent bleaching problem i want to see how that works out not another shuker build.