Why become a member? ×

Sorry, how much for a Sadowsky Metro.?

bubinga5

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1476081748' post='3150975']
Unfortunately I think a lot of people forgot that for Brexit to work we have to buy more British goods. The good thing is that for bass guitars we have some first class manufacturers/luthiers in this country, just think of the ones on this site.
[/quote]

Do we have a large scale producer in the U.K. ?

The ones I know of are small scale and expensive. The parts that they use, pickups and preamps for example tend to be made in the USA, bartolini etc. Then there are the woods. I think that we'll see already expensive instruments getting more expensive.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1476104801' post='3151291']
Exchange rates are always moving up and down. In my working life I've seen the dollar/pound swing between almost $1 =£1 up to $2.4 = £1 and back. Just because the rate is bad today doesn't mean it will stay there.
[/quote]
Cold comfort for those of us depend on importing for our livelihood.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1476100783' post='3151218']
Also, some Chinese stuff is sh*te, but a lot of it isn't.
[/quote]
Generally they don't solve problems very well unless they're in a crisis and they don't do things that require professional judgement very well but they do repetitive, mass production stuff incredibly well.

Chinese stuff is only as good as the effort put in by the person responsible for quality control. US companies with Chinese manufacturing employ QC firms to check random samples off the production line are consistent with a spec sheet that should include tolerances on critical dimensions. Warwick do some incredibly neat work on their line of Rock basses. Overlord who make headless parts are rubbish.

Tanglewood it is then. Everyone looking forward to their new Tanglewood british bass? Mm, i can't wait. Or will you splash out on that chinese Squier once Mexican Fenders become unaffordable? Or just go the whole way and remortgage your 6 bedroom house for an MIA? (unless MIA now stands for Made In Africa, in which case it'll be fine).

Does anyone actually want to live in a country where no products from abroad are available, (unless they're cheap pound shop garbage, or immensely expensive)?? That's what happened in Eastern Europe under communist rule, no?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476108779' post='3151355']
That's true for times when things are relatively steady, not so much when there is major change or turmoil. But i genuinely hope you're right, and not just for the sake of affordable basses. (food, employment, education and housing would be closer the top of the list, but the price of instruments is just a part of a bigger picture)..
[/quote]

Absolutely. I would not want to see mortgage rates back up at 15% again. That would put a new bass purchase way down the list of priorities.

This is very sad to see but I work for a large independent musical instruments store here in the UK, and a week after the result of the referendum was announced, every single manufacturer issued a new price list with higher prices. Fender were the first ones, with increases of up to 15%. Now every single brand we work with has increased their prices.

Good news is, we have been shipping more gear around the world due to the weaker GBP but on the other hand, every instrument has become more expensive for us UK residents to purchase, regardless of whether we are importing or buying from a UK retailer. Looks like things will not improve for a while so only expect prices to go higher!

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476112819' post='3151411']
Tanglewood it is then. Everyone looking forward to their new Tanglewood british bass? Mm, i can't wait. Or will you splash out on that chinese Squier once Mexican Fenders become unaffordable? Or just go the whole way and remortgage your 6 bedroom house for an MIA? (unless MIA now stands for Made In Africa, in which case it'll be fine).

Does anyone actually want to live in a country where no products from abroad are available, (unless they're cheap pound shop garbage, or immensely expensive)?? That's what happened in Eastern Europe under communist rule, no?
[/quote]

Maybe we'll stop being so extravagant and own maybe a couple of basses, or three... instead of the collections a few here seem to hoard ;)
Even £3000 is not a huge amount if you think of it as an instrument that you might use for decades. be grateful you're not a pianist... or even a tuba player!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1476035710' post='3150687']
If I had £3k ear marked for a bass it wouldn't be going anywhere near a Metro.

Yes, we need a revote, so we can have nice cheap basses :rolleyes: what were people thinking..!!!
[/quote]

If things keep going this way, one day you would only be able to afford Barefaced cabs. Think about it ;) :ph34r:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476191367' post='3152127']

If things keep going this way, one day you would only be able to afford Barefaced cabs. Think about it ;) :ph34r:
[/quote]

Don't Barefaced cabs use imported materials? Like neodymium? What british materials could you replace that with? Also - even though they're great - what if that's not the sound you're after?

It's nice to have options. Lack of choice and uniformity was a characteristic of communist eastern europe, which the british usually speak of with contempt. Communist countries restricted manufacturing to the eastern bloc, and they built the Trabant as a result. But at least they had free education and no homelessness or unemployment, which is unlikely to happen here..

I struggle with this notion that everything will just be British made and manufactured by a handful of companies, or completely unaffordable. It's pretty absurd. New tech will develop elsewhere through collaboration, and we'll just be left behind.

Who cares if it's British? What exactly are we proud of? I have zero British pride apart from the fact we have a deeply bizarre sense of humour and we do have fantastic music.

A lot of 'British made' gear isn't even made here! Shuker are one of the rare one offs.

I'm currently in the USA and I heard one American couple (clearly affluent) explaining to their children that England was cold, dark, wet and depressing. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed 😂. They said it was super expensive, and it is.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1476047662' post='3150871']
I so agree with this.

I've lost count of the number of customers bemoaning the price increases on imported instruments and amplification since the £ started plummeting post Brexit vote.

It's quite common for people to try and blame us, as a retailer, for price increases.

One potential customer last week wanted us to sell below cost simply because prices have risen so much recently!
[/quote]

Morons indeed. No UK customers since all that. Since buying in EU requires more £ ....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1476246609' post='3152625']
Who cares if it's British? What exactly are we proud of? I have zero British pride apart from the fact we have a deeply bizarre sense of humour and we do have fantastic music.

A lot of 'British made' gear isn't even made here! Shuker are one of the rare one offs.

I'm currently in the USA and I heard one American couple (clearly affluent) explaining to their children that England was cold, dark, wet and depressing. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed 😂. They said it was super expensive, and it is.
[/quote]

Erm... I don't t think any of the British comments (unless posted with a huge chunk of tongue shoved firmly in the cheek and accompanying ironic smilies) had any "British is best"/"little England" connotations. Much rather "British is less exchange rate conversions"/"Only basses not carrying hefty import tariffs"/"So much for the Wals are so expensive in comparison to other basses meme" connotations...

I'm currently in the USA and I heard one American couple (clearly affluent) explaining to their children that England was cold, dark, wet and depressing. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed . They said it was super expensive, and it is.
[/quote]

Now that was funny and sad at the same time!

Back to the topic: currency fluctuations will impact the prices of gear. You just have to ride ahead of the wave in order to minimize losses. As example, I have bought a Sadowksy Metro direclty from Japan when the Yen was low, which saved me 30% (after import taxes)....

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1476234682' post='3152611']
Don't Barefaced cabs use imported materials? Like neodymium? What british materials could you replace that with? Also - even though they're great - what if that's not the sound you're after?
[/quote]

My comment was in jest, as JTUK doesn't particularly like BF cabs :)

I'm currently in the USA and I heard one American couple (clearly affluent) explaining to their children that England was cold, dark, wet and depressing. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed ��. [b]They said it was super expensive[/b], and it is.
[/quote]
Well they're totally wrong on that count. For them, it's the cheapest it has been since 1985. $1.22 to the £? How much cheaper do they want? :angry: