Why become a member? ×

Importing from the USA

Jenny_Innie

I'm after a specific guitar that doesn't seem to be available in the UK. It comes in two colours. The UK distributor only does the colour I don't want.

Does anyone have experience of importing from the US? I sort of have. I bought an item from ebay once - a new guitar not available here - and it worked out fine. But I'm talking new item from a US guitar store. Lot's of them won't ship to the UK.

Any ideas, any experience?

I did once - started off by email and I ended up phoning them and they were fine with it. They didn't advertise as either willing to ship internationally or not. They were comfortable knowing it was going to the Uk. More concerned about insurance costs and whether there were and additional costs that they would incur. I didn't save any money (and I guess given the current exchange rates that's even less likely now) but I got my colour that was no longer available here.

I'd not do it again to be honest unless I was desperate!

I imported a couple of bits from outside the EU earlier in the year. An Epifani amp from the US and also a Moollon bass from South Korea.

The bass came through parcelforce and sat in customs for a couple of weeks until I paid VAT and import duty. They sent me a letter and I had to pay before they would release it.

The amp came straight through from FedEX (a couple of days from NY to my door) and I got a bill for the VAT etc a couple of weeks later.

Whatever happens you will have to pay VAT and import duty when it arrives in the UK.

I've bought stuff from US music shops before & never had any problem.
What you might want to think about (apart from the VAT & import charges which will add about 25% to the cost of what you are buying & shipping costs) is that the item you buy will most probably not be covered by any warranty outside of the USA so if anything goes wrong with it you're stuffed.

Similar experience to SpongeBob, got a great deal on a nice new guitar from the US, fa cheaper than getting the same guitar in the UK, but was landed with a large Customs bill. Even then, it still ended up being cheaper than getting the same guitar from the UK.

I've brought loads of stuff over from the US.

It's relatively painless once you've swallowed the 25% or charges.

Current exchange rates mean it's nowhere near as advantageous as it was pre Brexit referendum though.

Very rough calculation now is that a $1,000 bass is going to cost you £1,100 in the U.K. after you've paid shipping, insurance, duties, taxes and clearance charges :(

What Molan said. I've done it a number of times, and although there are a few butterflies when you're sending the money with nothing to show for it, I've yet to come unstuck. There are also intermediary services like MyUS.com, who provide a US shipping address for sellers who won't ship overseas, and they then ship the item on to you, for a very modest fee. I did that with a thru-neck Stingray that was impossible to get otherwise, at least within a sensible time frame. You do buy unseen, and there are potential issues with warranty to consider. It's also got a good bit more expensive due to the exchange rate, but if you REALLY want it.... :-)

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1473981324' post='3134779']
Just got nailed £15 Import Tax,Vat and handling charge on a £32 preamp :o

Customs is currently debating if they want both my kidneys for a bass coming from Japan.

If you want it, buy it. Kidneys are over rated.
[/quote]

Handling is usually a fixed charge so the relative percentage on a low cost item is much higher.

It would be the same £10 or so on a £32 pre amp as a £3,200 bass :(