Why become a member? ×

Good replacement for Custom Shop 62 pickups?

project_c

I bought a set of CS62's less than a year ago and apparently one of them is not working properly, so I need an urgent replacement. I'm reluctant to buy another set of the same pickups, they sound good but if they're going to die on me on an annual basis I'd rather get something else. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement?

Requirements: they're going in a fretless P that is used for jazz, I like lots of mids, no scoop, slightly aggressive tone is good, needs to look like a traditional P pickup, and be available to order this week. Price doesn't matter too much. thanks!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1473765930' post='3132875']
Might be worth checking these out:

[url="http://www.herrickpickups.com/"]http://www.herrickpickups.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, will try to dig through YouTube for the Dimarzios, intrigued by those Herrick pickups, never heard of them before but I like that they're hand built by a guy who studied at StMartins. Have you used them or heard anyone using them?

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1473769618' post='3132936']
Whats the problem with the dead PU?
Can you give it to a repair guy? Sometimes only a wire gets loose, and with one soldering step, it can be repaired.

Otherwise, my choice of PUs would be Lollar or Fralin.
[/quote]

Yep, they've gone to a repair guy, it probably is a simple soldering issue, the pickup is making an ungodly amount of electrical noise, it sounds like an old tv with static going through it - but I'm not very happy given that these are virtually brand new pickups, they should really last a bit longer than a year without developing faults... I have a gig and a rehearsal this week so I've had to put the old pickups back in the bass, which will be fine for now but I did like the sound of those CS62's.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473776732' post='3133035']
Something like this ? :-) [url="http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/the-bigman/"]http://nordstrandpic...cts/the-bigman/[/url]
[/quote]

very nice, but not quite the 'traditional precision look' I'm after :) I'm sure they sound good tho.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1473766263' post='3132884']
Thanks for the suggestions, will try to dig through YouTube for the Dimarzios, intrigued by those Herrick pickups, never heard of them before but I like that they're hand built by a guy who studied at StMartins. Have you used them or heard anyone using them?
[/quote]

I`ve got one but to date am yet to put it a bass, which is incredibly frustrating as have just not had the time to get it to the luthier I use. Martin is a member on here, though doesn`t seem t post that much.

Lollars sound superb but are really expensive - I think you can only import them, and shipping alone is $41, not including import/customs taxes. If memory serves the pickup itself is about £90. A good pickup but pretty pricey once you add shipping from the States and import duty etc.

Lindy Fralins are highly recommended, but I don't see what all the fuss is about - although to be fair I'm judging them entirely on home-made YouTube demos.

I personally really like the Bareknuckle 58 Split P and the Nordstrand NP4, but you're talking £90-£100 for them.

Short of replacing your '62 with another '62, you're really looking at something from the DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan ranges for round about the same money.

Edited by Funky Dunky

The Aguilar Hot P is a great pickup with more output and aggression than their classic P

Aguilar stuff is generally pretty bomb proof - there's a reason so many pro players use their gear and their pickups are turning up in more and more instruments - Fodera, Spector etc.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1473885316' post='3133935']

Tell me more.....
[/quote]

You can now get them here

http://www.hot-rodpickups.com/pb-thumper-precision-bass-pickup-574-p.asp

If you do a quick search on Basschat for Wizard Thumper you'll find quite a lot of positive feedback

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1473807408' post='3133356']
Lollars sound superb but are really expensive - I think you can only import them, and shipping alone is $41, not including import/customs taxes. If memory serves the pickup itself is about £90. A good pickup but pretty pricey once you add shipping from the States and import duty etc.

Lindy Fralins are highly recommended, but I don't see what all the fuss is about - although to be fair I'm judging them entirely on home-made YouTube demos.

I personally really like the Bareknuckle 58 Split P and the Nordstrand NP4, but you're talking £90-£100 for them.

Short of replacing your '62 with another '62, you're really looking at something from the DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan ranges for round about the same money.
[/quote]

This
I've used most of the boutique "vintage" split-coil P pickups, and favourite is definitely Lollar, but all those mentioned above are good. I got a a used Lollar on US evilBay for not too much

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1473970487' post='3134657']
Bareknuckle '57 P.

Look no further. Proper hand made vintage pickup, but not mass produced stuff like a couple of the suggestions above. You won't be disappointed. From Cornwall too!
[/quote]

The Bareknuckle is a peach, that's the one I want to put in my bitsa.