Why become a member? ×

Audition Intrigue

spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473870956' post='3133737']
I personally wouldn't want to see or be in a band who bored the pants of a pub crowd with Wayward Son.
[/quote]

I'm always up for hearing that song if it's done well!! Nailing the harmonies are vital though.

Next audition you get, just go for it! I feel you had that thought in your mind you could possibly get to the level otherwise this wouldn't have even been a topic.
Stretch yourself. You might well be surprised.

Good luck for whatever comes along :)

Pretty good I[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473920692' post='3134058']
YT - The Mighty Fly - Spirit of Radio.
[/quote]

Pretty good I would say for the environment. I couldn't really hear the bass but he looked like he was doing the right thing. The guitarist was pretty close. Its that beginning thing where it falls apart, but as someone said, to get that right it needs people who really know each others playing.

Then you look at them, and realise that 3 of them are doing Geddy Lees part :D

Saw a 3-piece rock covers band at my local a few weeks ago and they pulled off a very convincing version of Rush's 'Subdivisions', went down as well with the audience as any of the more 'classic' rock songs in the set. Think the bass/keys/vox player is a bit of a Rush anorak though.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1473923213' post='3134080']
I'm always up for hearing that song if it's done well!! Nailing the harmonies are vital though.

Next audition you get, just go for it! I feel you had that thought in your mind you could possibly get to the level otherwise this wouldn't have even been a topic.
Stretch yourself. You might well be surprised.

Good luck for whatever comes along :)
[/quote]Thanks for the kind words. Personally I think Wayward Son meanders a bit and the harmonies would be difficult.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473934435' post='3134244']
Pretty good I

Pretty good I would say for the environment. I couldn't really hear the bass but he looked like he was doing the right thing. The guitarist was pretty close. Its that beginning thing where it falls apart, but as someone said, to get that right it needs people who really know each others playing.

Then you look at them, and realise that 3 of them are doing Geddy Lees part :D
[/quote]I've seen them look pretty pleased with themselves after doing Tom Sawyer too and thought 'now three of you clear off and do it again!'

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1474024192' post='3135022']
Spirit of Radio is a bit 'what?!' for a pub crowd - they should stick to rocker tracks that sound cool without obviously showing off: i.e. half the stuff from Test for Echo or something older like Vital Signs or Limelight.
[/quote]

I'm not sure any Rush songs are that well known amongst non-rush listeners. They're a bit of a marmite band.

Looking through YouTube, this band are pretty brave with their song choices. I wonder how they're received in general. I'd like to hear a studio recording of them, I think it would be good.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474026605' post='3135070']

Looking through YouTube, this band are pretty brave with their song choices. I wonder how they're received in general. I'd like to hear a studio recording of them, I think it would be good.

[/quote]

+1 to this - not what I would call a pub band at all; as said above, they seem a little self absorbed and playing songs they like and not thinking about the audience who just want to get up and dance like no-ones looking.

As an example, I found this on YT

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZrb-3dvJU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZrb-3dvJU[/url]

Muse's Knights of Cydonia. Great track that I love driving to but not even a fully paid up Dad dancer like me can do anything with this...

There is a "single edit" of Wayward Son that would be fine for a pub band, chops out a lot of the more noodly bits. You'd be surprised how many people know it ... the receptionist lassie at my work, for example ... it crops up on a lot of compilation CDs - "Greatest Driving Songs" and stuff like that.

In fact, I quite fancy giving it a shot myself. Must speak to the chaps ... :)

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1473890971' post='3133999']
When we're auditioning there's a level of competence that must be reached for you to be considered for the band.

Once you've reached it your up for discussion, doesn't matter if you've completely leapt over the level or just hit an acceptable level..

Then it comes down to is he a nice guy ? Will we get on with him ? Can he sing ? Is his gear good ? Where does he live ? etc etc.

I can see no advantage to the band in setting this level higher than it needs to be to be honest.

Les
[/quote]

Hi Les,

Above and beyond playing skills, some bands should consider the following;

When were talking about gigging bands, bands that are out gigging 2-3 times on weekend, I think a new guy has to be questioned and willing to discuss his ability to commit.

Take the guy that is married with 2 young children. You really have to find out if he can commit and get an honest answer on how his wife feels about him getting in at 2:30 in the morning Saturday and Sunday. In the States most young wives with children won't stand for it.

Why does he want to be in the band. We all know that there are some guys that want to join bands but for all the wrong reasons;

1. A means to get [i]"me time"[/i] away from the family.

2. Access to women, alcohol or drugs.

3. The guy trying to re-live the past..

All bad reasons to join a band.Thus, a band candidate.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473608460' post='3131592']
Thanks for the replies so far. It isn't a case of the song being complicated - that wouldn't be a problem, it's simply beyond my ability. What's added to my suspicion is that Bohemian Rhapsody's in there, which I can do but I doubt would ever get gigged.
And to be fair to everyone the song's Spirit of Radio - the doodly bits are too fast for me.
[/quote]

im inclined to agree with several others above that both these are just being thrown in there to massage the guitards ego

aside... what widdly bits are you referring to ? TJH does a lot of rush vids on the youtubes and this one shows all the positions and fingering nice and clear

https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1474101088' post='3135576']

im inclined to agree with several others above that both these are just being thrown in there to massage the guitards ego

aside... what widdly bits are you referring to ? TJH does a lot of rush vids on the youtubes and this one shows all the positions and fingering nice and clear

https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0
[/quote]

Have a look at some of the bands YouTube clips, they're not playing run of the mill tunes.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474105206' post='3135606']
Have a look at some of the bands YouTube clips, they're not playing run of the mill tunes.
[/quote]

yes i saw that after

im surprised there is the market for that sort of thing to be honest is a bit niche for most venues/promoters no?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1474105598' post='3135614']
yes i saw that after

im surprised there is the market for that sort of thing to be honest is a bit niche for most venues/promoters no?
[/quote]

Seen several cover groups do spirit of radio, would hardly think its niche. Can't just play blues all the time!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1474101088' post='3135576']

[url="https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0"]https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0[/url]
[/quote]

The tabs and fingerings are easily available, the only problem with spirit of radio is the timing of that first descending run, (which occurs again in the middle) there isn't anything else too tricky in it. As someone else has said, the trick is the timing with the drummer, which is frankly pretty impossible until you have played it with the drummer!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474105968' post='3135616']

Seen several cover groups do spirit of radio, would hardly think its niche. Can't just play blues all the time!
[/quote]

It's not either/or is it? Just think there are some unusual songs. I'm guessing the keyboard player might have a big say on the tunes. There's an interesting video of Toto - Africa.

They do fit into my category of "getting the tune exactly like the original" though, I'm not always keen on that approach as you can easily miss a lot of the feel concentrating too hard on the notes.

A band to listen to rather than move about to?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474106722' post='3135630']
A band to listen to rather than move about to?
[/quote]

Possibly true. Although every group I have been in has insisted on doing some slow songs, which I never understood, seems indulgent for the band but I suppose it gives the audience time to go for a piss and a beer!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474106983' post='3135636']

Possibly true. Although every group I have been in has insisted on doing some slow songs, which I never understood, seems indulgent for the band but I suppose it gives the audience time to go for a piss and a beer!
[/quote]

I think it gives the audience a chance to calm down a bit. Music is all about light and shade. Too many bands just play at an audience, assaulting them with a wall of noise.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474107961' post='3135651']
I think it gives the audience a chance to calm down a bit. Music is all about light and shade. Too many bands just play at an audience, assaulting them with a wall of noise.
[/quote]

Oh agreed, but there is shade and there is so dark you are tripping over!