Why become a member? ×

Paul Turner

pmjos

Just saw Paul Turner last night a Ronnie Scots with Brother Strut. He played trough a TC K450,a tired old TC 2x12 and an old Ashdown 4x10.
He sounded superb... as he would.

But .....Gas reality check.....the tone is I the fingers not the gear.

My amp and cabs apparently used to belong to him a couple of owners before it came to me. I now sound exactly like him!

Oh alright, maybe not. Still a lovely sounding rig though and I definitely sound better through it than any other I've owned (which has been a good few).

Great player though and he certainly has an excellent touch and feel for a groove.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1470556509' post='3106629']
Perhaps that's superb sounding gear?
[/quote]

Basschat Heresy! Those are not fashionable brands! Current fashion rating is directly proportional to sound quality.

Edited by Roland Rock

I was there last night. Great shows. Was great to see Ian Thomas drumming in the warm up act also.

I think the great sound at Ronnie's is a lot to do with the fact that Ronnie's runs a crash hot PA (digico into d&b - the latter probably on permanent loan from JTUk)

Stage sound was really low (even Frankie was keeping it fairly low last night) with the DI into front of house and obv fold back into the wedges. Why would you care about Ashdown and TC cabs when you have one of those wedges pointing at you?

And above all, being Paul Turner probably helps.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1470548550' post='3106609']
Just saw Paul Turner last night a Ronnie Scots with Brother Strut. He played trough a TC K450,a tired old TC 2x12 and an old Ashdown 4x10.
He sounded superb... as he would.

But .....Gas reality check.....the tone is I the fingers not the gear.
[/quote]
When I saw him recently he was using an SL410 and th500.
I joked that I could have let him have a Aguilar DB rig and he said that would have saved him the carry. So I think that sort of thing is a factor.

Paul normally uses Aguilars, but I think he could run his '66 Jazz bass through a mouldy old sock and still sound incredible. Delicious tone. Incredible groove bassist, too. One of my very favourites, no doubt. His line on Jamiroquai's 'All Good In The Hood' floors me, the tone is spectacular.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470566373' post='3106717']

I joked that I could have let him have a Aguilar DB rig and he said that would have saved him the carry. So I think that sort of thing is a factor.
[/quote]

On facebook the other day he was talking about this rig as his "one person lift" rig.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1470557290' post='3106637']

Basschat Heresy! Those are not fashionable brands! Current fashion rating is directly proportional to sound quality.
[/quote]

I'm suprised he didn't sound dreadful without a Flea bass in hand ;-)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470566373' post='3106717']

[/quote]

You and DB lol.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470581059' post='3106860']

He was going to use his but the control plate fell off back stage, I suppose that's to be expected on a budget one thousand pound bass?! Ha.
[/quote]

They are all battered and broken... and it's supposed to be a new bass too!

I've heard Paul through a wide variety of gear - he always sounds like him.

I've often also played through the same gear - I never sound like him :)

To be fair, I've also heard him doing some serious gear demoing and moving across different amps and cabs and you can absolutely hear the difference between each individual link in the chain.

Edited by molan

Just to reiterate...Paul Turner is a proper, proper good bassist.

I watched the video of him with Rob 'Arris and Derrick McKenzie and Daniel Pearce, when they had Shuffler on the go...jeez....blistering, flawless rendition of Rhythm Stick segueing into Alphabet Street. ....just upsettingly good. They also did a sweet version of Cee Lo Green's 'Forget You' which is well worth a listen. I'd cut off one of my nuts to be able to feel and fill like PT. So so tasteful and musical.

I think musical hits the nail on the head. Youtube these days is full of players with spring loaded thumbs and fingers like a threshing machine. Fair play to them, they've got the chops but it's his musicality that gets him the gig with the likes of Sister Sledge while they continue to record YouTube videos in their bedroom.

I work there I'll let you into a little secret they're our house amps and get played every day and he was just using the 4x10, the 2x12 is literally just to lift it off the floor

as EBS_freak said we're incredibly spoilt in that venue in terms of PA it comes from having very good owners who understand about investing in a club to make it the best that it can be rather than just treating it as a cash cow

PS. its also where your £5.25 for a bottle of beer goes :P

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1470657792' post='3107361']
I work there I'll let you into a little secret they're our house amps and get played every day and he was just using the 4x10, the 2x12 is literally just to lift it off the floor

as EBS_freak said we're incredibly spoilt in that venue in terms of PA it comes from having very good owners who understand about investing in a club to make it the best that it can be rather than just treating it as a cash cow

PS. its also where your £5.25 for a bottle of beer goes :P
[/quote]

It's great - got to be one of the top venues for sound and certainly in terms of gear. I can't think of a venue of comparable size that runs anything like Ronnies.

The Jam House in Brum runs Nexo - but it never sounds great... and it doesn't help that one of the cones is mashed either.