Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

10 hours ago, ordep said:

Grab n Go board when I am too lazy to carry the big one. 😁

09E1E0F8-6885-4C6C-9B67-2A507ECC02E4.jpeg

Ohhh, what kind of OCTABVRE is it? Own design or some kind of special layout by Spencer himself? And what does the bi-fet, it popped up here and there, and I’m a bit hooked. I love the BECOS btw!!! 🤩

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

I've been considering doing something similar, but im worried if i do that the big one will never be used!

Are these pedals from the "big" board or all different ones? 

all different ones, they are the ones that didn’t make the cut. 😄Sound wise they cannot replace my big one. 

big board for reference:

4821C084-B6EB-4CB3-BEB4-04E72E59912C.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, keziahj said:

Ohhh, what kind of OCTABVRE is it? Own design or some kind of special layout by Spencer himself? And what does the bi-fet, it popped up here and there, and I’m a bit hooked. I love the BECOS btw!!! 🤩

Its a normal V2 TIM version that I painted black (yup I am crazy) when I did have the all black board a couple of years ago.

Oh, I love the Bifet preamp. So simple and easy to use. For me, its just around the 1030/11 o clock for tone and volume to taste.  For my ears it adds “muscle” and definition, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ordep said:

Its a normal V2 TIM version that I painted black (yup I am crazy) when I did have the all black board a couple of years ago.

Oh, I love the Bifet preamp. So simple and easy to use. For me, its just around the 1030/11 o clock for tone and volume to taste.  For my ears it adds “muscle” and definition, if that makes sense. 

Yea, that makes perfect sense! Thanks! 🤩

I've gone rechargeable :) the 9v supply system is gone, replaced by this:

PSX_20230524_132428.jpg.9baa830e6eec6edf5e5df7d77ff44012.jpg

Works a treat. I like the fact that it has seven separate outputs, as I'm not keen on daisy-chaining.

I think that's it for the time being, apart from maybe some tweaking to the STFU pedal. I have vague back-burner plans for a DIY replacement for the BDI21.

EDIT: won't be bothering now I've done the mid boost mod to the BDI. Sounds a zillion times better.

PSX_20230524_141048.jpg.cf3040243f96159ac00147d0f0d7a365.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

On 20/05/2023 at 04:31, keziahj said:

Bi Fet is one of the best pedals ever made, roll the tone off and it’s a huge bass boost I mean HUGE, every setting is really music.

I really need to stop selling them

• Like 2

I see so many exciting and exotic looking boards on here. I sometimes feel my board is pretty boring being almost entirely preamps and drives.

In my head I want to play with lots of interesting modulation, synth and delays. In reality I know I'll just stick to the same old gritty tone, certainly in the band.

Does anyone have a main board for gigging along with a more creative/experimentation oriented board etc. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Does anyone have a main board for gigging along with a more creative/experimentation oriented board etc. 

Yes, and for similar reasons to you. My 'creative' board changes pretty much daily depending on my mood. The gigging board is based on the requirement of the band I'm using it with. The Hulla band (13 piece playing a wide range of genres) only really requires comp, chorus or phase, a bit of grit from my pre-amp and one short stint of clean boost for a bass so... er... instrumental break. (No solos here😬).

The other band (The Rip - 3 piece just starting up) is developing but so far I'm using the same board as the Hulla. As a trio I think I'll need a few more effects to fill in some of the gaps - definitely a filter and overdrive. If we expand in the direction I'm hoping, I think I'll end up with a separate board for this which will resemble the 'creative' one.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Yes, and for similar reasons to you. My 'creative' board changes pretty much daily depending on my mood. The gigging board is based on the requirement of the band I'm using it with. The Hulla band (13 piece playing a wide range of genres) only really requires comp, chorus or phase, a bit of grit from my pre-amp and one short stint of clean boost for a bass so... er... instrumental break. (No solos here😬).

The other band (The Rip - 3 piece just starting up) is developing but so far I'm using the same board as the Hulla. As a trio I think I'll need a few more effects to fill in some of the gaps - definitely a filter and overdrive. If we expand in the direction I'm hoping, I think I'll end up with a separate board for this which will resemble the 'creative' one.

Interesting to know! I'm always buying pedals with a view to integrating on my board which I think sometimes stops me from going for stuff purely for fun or messing around with.

I've got a few in/outs on my patch bay so might rewire so I can create little pre and post fx loops in my main board and plug stuff in without a full rewire.

I've been back and forth on getting a Mod Dwarf for a while now for this kind of stuff but couldn't see it taking a permanent residence on my board right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

Interesting to know! I'm always buying pedals with a view to integrating on my board which I think sometimes stops me from going for stuff purely for fun or messing around with.

I'm the opposite in some ways - apart from making sure I had the basics (comp, chorus, pre-amp), I bought a few cheap versions of things (filters, overdrives and octaves) that I told myself were to test out the concept before buying 'the real thing' for a permanent place on the board. But for the most part, I haven't replaced the cheap ones with more expensive kit because I've found the sound I want with them. My MS60B has a permanent spot on the board for specific spot effects (a drastic EQ change for a couple of numbers, a flange effect for the start of 'Dakota' and recently a bass synth patch for ... well, I haven't found an ideal spot for it yet but its a great sound. 😃

I got a HB Stomp Control the other day to set up several loops of pedals on the creative board, and I recently invested in a Plethroa X3 which is now providing the comp, chorus and phase on the gig board. I thought long and hard about the X3 as I had individual pedals to cover the effects I'd use. But I decided that the footswitchable boards you can program into it would save me dancing on several pedals to get the sound I was after. So far it's been rehearsed several times and gigged once and it is making things easier for me.

This is the current gig board:

DSCG0436.thumb.jpg.96c775042b345a15df38d07148f8f2b2.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Check out my for sale ad I’ve a few pedals the Basswitch drive in particular could be great in your trio. Fills in the midrange nicely. 

Back on topic my revised board might be getting pimped soon… more updates as and when! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, krispn said:

Check out my for sale ad I’ve a few pedals the Basswitch drive in particular could be great in your trio. Fills in the midrange nicely. 

Thanks. I have the pedals, I just need to see which ones work best and add them to the gig board, or make up a new gig board. 

GLWTS.

I decided to strip things back a bit.

20230603_122813.thumb.jpg.2a1b771ffd3c7645a08774923cc3da01.jpg

Electric bass goes into Super Symmetry, Poly Blue Octave and Microtubes then into ABY channel A. EUB goes into the Fishman (with a feed out to the mini tuner for a permanent helper) then into ABY channel B.

ABY into Korg tuner to amplifier.

I'm a bit miffed I can't fit the Fishman on the board but I can live with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'm the opposite in some ways - apart from making sure I had the basics (comp, chorus, pre-amp), I bought a few cheap versions of things (filters, overdrives and octaves) that I told myself were to test out the concept before buying 'the real thing' for a permanent place on the board. But for the most part, I haven't replaced the cheap ones with more expensive kit because I've found the sound I want with them. My MS60B has a permanent spot on the board for specific spot effects (a drastic EQ change for a couple of numbers, a flange effect for the start of 'Dakota' and recently a bass synth patch for ... well, I haven't found an ideal spot for it yet but its a great sound. 😃

I got a HB Stomp Control the other day to set up several loops of pedals on the creative board, and I recently invested in a Plethroa X3 which is now providing the comp, chorus and phase on the gig board. I thought long and hard about the X3 as I had individual pedals to cover the effects I'd use. But I decided that the footswitchable boards you can program into it would save me dancing on several pedals to get the sound I was after. So far it's been rehearsed several times and gigged once and it is making things easier for me.

This is the current gig board:

DSCG0436.thumb.jpg.96c775042b345a15df38d07148f8f2b2.jpg

Thats cool, for me the preamps and dirt are the bare minimum for the band, not really a calling for anything else yet.

I really enjoyed the GT1000core but couldn't quite get a tone I was happy with for my base bass sound, it'd have been perfect for this kind of exploratory stuff though. Still leaning towards the Mod Dwarf for way more flexibility, you can do some very unique stuff with it.

Got a Rockboard 2.1 and Cioks 4 that i think I'll repurposed to create a little creative add-on pedalboard. Maybe grab some modulation cheap pedals and the Dwarf and see what kind of weird noises I can make.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Thats cool, for me the preamps and dirt are the bare minimum for the band, not really a calling for anything else yet.

I really enjoyed the GT1000core but couldn't quite get a tone I was happy with for my base bass sound, it'd have been perfect for this kind of exploratory stuff though. Still leaning towards the Mod Dwarf for way more flexibility, you can do some very unique stuff with it.

Got a Rockboard 2.1 and Cioks 4 that i think I'll repurposed to create a little creative add-on pedalboard. Maybe grab some modulation cheap pedals and the Dwarf and see what kind of weird noises I can make.

Did you know these exist?

https://www.thomann.de/intl/rockboard_mini_mounting_mod_trs.htm

just to make your duo cooler

• Like 1