Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

From the ""Amp-less" setup" thread:

On 08/01/2023 at 12:51, Baloney Balderdash said:

Mine is fairly complex because I by choice do not really use a dedicated bass preamp and cab simulator, but rather have these functions covered by a selection of multiple gain and EQ stages, which has the advantage of giving me much more flexibility in terms of tone building while still predominantly keeping it analog (in my case all analog except for the reverb and faux, EQ based, cab sim).

However I am in the process of completely rearranging my pedal setup/board from scratch, because I recently went back to mainly playing my 4 string bass, tuned in F#1 standard tuning (that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E1 standard tuning), played mainly using various finger picking techniques, rather than my Harley Benton GuitarBass, which is a take on the Fender Bass VI concept, also tuned in F#1 standard tuning (that is 10 half steps bellow regular guitar E2 standard tuning), played mainly using pick, and with an always on 1 octave up effect (using a TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini pedal for an effect somewhat similar to that of a 12 string guitar/8 string bass. Same is used for this new setup, but not as an always on effect, and using somewhat different settings, for one the 1 octave up effect is not quite as prominent, being dialed in a couple of dB lower, as well as there is a slight difference in the octave up output EQ of the Toneprint used), so can't really post any pictures at this point, but here's a signal chain description of the always on part that creates my core basic "clean" tone, the actual "amp-less" setup so to speak, which I at this point have put together and tested to the point where I am fairly certain that this is how it will actually also end up :

Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (with the stock P + J pickup pulled out and replaced for a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, tuned in F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and strung with regular Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036) ->>

As the very first thing in the chain, right after the bass :

->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for a customized 1 octave up effect, that is used always applied, relatively subtly, to my high gain distortion/fuzz setup, to improve definition and articulation, though it actually does add some extra heft as well) ->> XVive V16 Undulator  (tremolo, though used exclusively for it's really effective buffer and is never actually engaged) ->> EHX Black Finger (always on tube driven optical compressor, dialed in to deliver a very mild compression, which due to the fact that it compresses the high end slightly more than the low end also effectively boosts the low end slightly, the tubes driven to just on the verge of the breakup point) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (effect loops mixer/switch, used for my high gain distortion setup, always with the {1 octave up -> Clean signal} from the Sub'N'Up Mini stacked into it) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, used on a high gain setting in Turbo RAT mode, always used with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into it and blended with {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone} from parallel effects [Loop B Send]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (used for a low gain overdrive, and always stacked into the Metal Zone in front of it, always with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into the Boss LS-2, and always blended with the Mosky Black Rat from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (used on a relatively moderate gain setting, always with the Orange Juice overdrive stacked into it, and always with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into the Boss LS-2, and blended with either the Mosky Black Rat or Behringer Super Fuzz from parallel effects [Loop A])  ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> 

Then as the very last thing in the signal chain, before the poweramp and FRFR PA speaker :

->> Zoom B1Xon (acting mainly as my always on main reverb unit, having a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb as part of my basic "clean" tone, but additionally also function as my general reverb pedal for other reverb effects, as well as a few additional other effects) ->> NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI (NBP-5) (always on bass preamp, IR loader and DI, used with the Aguilar Tone Hammer amp emulation and the stock Ampeg SV-212 2x12 + high frequency tweeter IR cab simulation, with the main EQ set as following: Bass (+/-18dB @ 40Hz) 2 o'clock, Mid (+/-17dB) 3 o'clock, Mid Freq (180Hz-1kHz) 1 o'clock, Treble (+/-18dB @ 4kHz) 1 o'clock, the HPF of the cab sim set to 40Hz, and the LPF set to just bellow 14kHz, and always with the build in drive engaged, the Drive control set at 9 o'clock and the drive/clean blend at noon) ->>

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> Headphone output of NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

This gives me a very realistic/authentic, just around the breakup point, bass tube amp like response and tone, but while not being too obstructive to and letting the natural tone of my bass shine through, regardless of whether I use it at home, practicing though a headphones preamp and my studio grade (just meaning FRFR) headphone, record the bass DI'ed through it, run it into a power amp and a FRFR speaker/cab/PA at band rehearsal, or though a venue's PA system at gigs, which to me is exactly the greatest advantage of utilizing an "amp-less" setup, consistence of tone.

The higher tuning of the bass allows for lower gauge strings which again makes it possible to obtain some of that harmonically rich piano like tone, otherwise not possible to obtain with the thick gauge strings that a regular E standard tuning would require on the just 28.6" scale length of this bass, beside also actually being better suited for the more melodic/riff based playing that I utilizes it for, that is in the context of bass and drums duo, as well as jamming just with a drummer (F# standard tuning actually being the traditional upright acoustic bass tuning used for bass solo pieces in classical music).

For reference this was how my pedal board looked before this rearrangement, used for my Harley Benton GuitarBass :

A-Bass-Pedal-Board-240922-Cropped-Enhace

Also if weight is no issue I can warmly recommend the budget The Box PA 502, 300W passive PA speaker, for use as a FRFR speaker/cab, really amazing tone, very neutral faithful recreation of whatever you feed it with, and with an outstanding low end frequency response (better even than most higher end passive PA speakers), that both reproduces the low end of my bass/rig and sounds better than my much more expensive SWR 15" + 10" + Tweeter Horn dedicated bass cab.

Still haven't got around to setting up the new updated and completely rearranged board, so this is how my temporary totally scrapped down pedal setup looks at the moment (signal chain is listed in the above quoted post):

Bass-Pedal-Temp-Setup-290423.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

From the ""Amp-less" setup" thread:

Still haven't got around to setting up the new updated and completely rearranged board, so this is how my temporary totally scrapped down pedal setup looks at the moment (signal chain is listed in the above quoted post):

Bass-Pedal-Temp-Setup-290423.jpg

Not to be disrespectful but did someone throw up over your pedals?

28 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Not to be disrespectful but did someone throw up over your pedals?

No worries, no offence taken.

And yes, of course, thank you for asking. :i-m_so_happy:

Every once a month I like to smear my pedals in puke to keep them funky.

I assume you are asking because you practice this trick too?   

If not I can warmly recommend it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

After much deliberation I decided the Mastro Valvola OFF1 just wasn't for me. So back to drawing board, this gap isn't going to fill itself!

IMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.496707ad3eabd0d559b34a80a489eacf.jpeg

Thinking about grabbing an EAE Halberd to pair with the Longsword and replace the OFF1 at which point i think it's safe to say I've got dirt covered. I have been blown away by everything EAE and aside from the Capo they're the only pedals which have lived up to my internal hype. 

Considering grabbing another GT1000core when I can afford it to introduce some additional effects and experimentation. It would be really handy for recording guitar too. 

• Like 2

On 01/05/2023 at 08:58, MrDinsdale said:

After much deliberation I decided the Mastro Valvola OFF1 just wasn't for me. So back to drawing board, this gap isn't going to fill itself!

IMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.496707ad3eabd0d559b34a80a489eacf.jpeg

Thinking about grabbing an EAE Halberd to pair with the Longsword and replace the OFF1 at which point i think it's safe to say I've got dirt covered. I have been blown away by everything EAE and aside from the Capo they're the only pedals which have lived up to my internal hype. 

Considering grabbing another GT1000core when I can afford it to introduce some additional effects and experimentation. It would be really handy for recording guitar too. 

Your keyboard hurts my head...

• Haha 2

On 27/04/2023 at 10:16, Rich said:

I saw this posted on Farcebook the other day and had to share it here. The Big Muff is its own pedal board... apparently the owner's fitted a power brick (presumably a small one) inside the Muff which powers all of the pedals, so the entire thing is self contained. I don't know if it's brilliant, or completely mental, or a combination of the two.

image.png.83e548541fd3fc6bafdd785361cd00ac.png

image.png.14255a4346612e198260e0604a441ab3.png

That looks so weird haha 

20230507_181830.thumb.jpg.72ef70a2e92ea4b55360efe7c6cd19ef.jpg

20230507_181910.thumb.jpg.5afc1ee2271705a8b20f36824700dae1.jpg

The last time I used this skateboard I fell off it while trying to get a beer from the fridge. On the basis my skateboarding days are long gone (by several decades) I've decided to turn it into a pedalboard instead.

Doorstops on the bottom give enough clearance to fix a psu underneath and I love the flamingo art work. Not the flatest board in world and the pedals are a bit wonky as a result, but I quite like the idea of skate/pedalboard. 

My fav 5 pedals of the moment, the surprise being the grape phaser which is almost on permanently. 

• Like 10

I've got a gig in Amsterdam in a few weeks and my pedalboard is impractical to take with me, so I bought a small Harley Benton board and put this "essentials" board together.

The good: small, light, fits enough pedals on to keep things interesting. The bad: I bought a Boss daisy-chain to power them all but some of these pedals have their power inputs on the side, which is annoying. I will have to power it with a Caline power supply... And it doesn't fit under the board... Going to have to find a way of extending the front feet but keeping it all stable. 

What's on the board? Boss wireless, HB tuner/ mute, Behringer Limiter/Enhancer which may get sacrificed, Darkglass Duality Fuzz, TC Corona Chorus and a Marshall Guvnor overdrive. 

What got left behind? Boss OC-2 which doesn't get enough use sadly and isn't an integral sound in the set at the moment, AMT Bass Wah which gets occasional use but not enough to justify a spot on this board, TC HOF reverb which is always on for fretless and gets use in the middle 8 of one song only on fretted bass, MXR M80 preamp and distortion which I'm kinda thinking I should keep but just can't quite bring myself to yet... 

IMG-20230509-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 3

Well - I've been offloading lots of gear since I won't be needing that much for the gigs we do (or if I keep doing live music).

Means I've done away with the octave-fuzz-filter OFF1 from Mastro Valvola, same as the LEM and the Redwitch Empress Chorus, and gone back to my pedaltrain Nano.

Having said that, I saw yesterday a juicy limited pedal (not edition, limited pedal altogether!) that Hudson Electronics made for Joe's Pedals... 

image.thumb.png.50b5d0a73baf711c2cc887ba466d87f1.png

Less than 24hrs later and with big thanks to Joe (you're warned, fantastic bloke and great gear) I have the Motorcycle on my board - very, very very similar to the Broadcast, just maybe the controls are more flexible to the character/tone with the EQ controls and potentially easier to dial... if at all? The mojo and tone of the Broadcast is superb, and I genuinely don't care which one stays on the board, but the Motorcycle is limited and #8 so that one stays, Broadcast off to sale...:

image.thumb.png.08928e1468908c2c88593e6faa75b738.png

For those wondering, the Barefoot buttons have different heights, so I can stomp on the Motorcycle without actioning the compressor which I keep always on.

Very simple but boutique/elite pedalboard now lol - super nice clean and super nice distortion, all I really need!

Ander.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Well - I've been offloading lots of gear since I won't be needing that much for the gigs we do (or if I keep doing live music).

Means I've done away with the octave-fuzz-filter OFF1 from Mastro Valvola, same as the LEM and the Redwitch Empress Chorus, and gone back to my pedaltrain Nano.

Having said that, I saw yesterday a juicy limited pedal (not edition, limited pedal altogether!) that Hudson Electronics made for Joe's Pedals... 

image.thumb.png.50b5d0a73baf711c2cc887ba466d87f1.png

Less than 24hrs later and with big thanks to Joe (you're warned, fantastic bloke and great gear) I have the Motorcycle on my board - very, very very similar to the Broadcast, just maybe the controls are more flexible to the character/tone with the EQ controls and potentially easier to dial... if at all? The mojo and tone of the Broadcast is superb, and I genuinely don't care which one stays on the board, but the Motorcycle is limited and #8 so that one stays, Broadcast off to sale...:

image.thumb.png.08928e1468908c2c88593e6faa75b738.png

For those wondering, the Barefoot buttons have different heights, so I can stomp on the Motorcycle without actioning the compressor which I keep always on.

Very simple but boutique/elite pedalboard now lol - super nice clean and super nice distortion, all I really need!

Ander.

I just saw that pic on instagram!

• Like 2

The board has been significantly downsized since the last rehearsal, since this band is a 60s style one and apparently my 3 fuzzes weren’t needed…

My HX Stomp lost the battle for space with the Collision Devices, so once I stop being lazy I need to put stuff up for sale. Does anyone else feel like selling pedals is losing the game somehow?

(Edit, I’ve just realized I have 3 space related pedals in a row). 

IMG_3704.thumb.jpeg.dda9528b3193de38a4c69e7e057a67ad.jpeg

Edited by KellyS
Space
  • Like 6

I recently invested in a Plethora X3 to give me a multi FX option and to save a little space on the board. I've had it for about three days, rehearsed with it last night and I'm very happy with the sounds and this version of the board. I'm using the X3 for compression along with combinations of chorus, phase, flange and some octave. I've also been experimenting with the doubling effect and the looper (the latter I find the easiest to get right of of all the loopers I've tried).  The signal chain is tuner>X3>Mooer (for clean boost)>Bass Overdrive>MS60B (currently giving me a couple of spot EQ effects for specific songs but likely to provide some bass synth in the future)>Crybot filter>Digbeth. The whole lot is powered by a Harley Benton power unit and fits in a 15"x10" metal flight case. The board itself is an old home made one and is angled to allow for the power unit to fit underneath. 

P1130011-1.thumb.jpg.d6006981643c1215ebb6925741222db1.jpg 

I've just started rehearsing with a three piece and I needed to be able to fill the gaps when the guitarist goes solo and come out again when he goes back to rhythm. The Octave and doubler are just enough without being OTT. And the guitarist is quite good at not leaving too much space during his solos anyway. I have yet to get to grips with the cab simulator on the X3 - I tried the 1x15" last night but it was too much so I'm playing around with the 2x12" and 4x12" combinations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Have you considered the EBS Microbass 3 I think that would get you down to wireless - ebs - out

Those fishman are lovely though.

The Fishman is for my double bass, MicroBass II for bass guitar. I switch between them with the Mooer ABY.

Edited by BassKees
clearification

1 hour ago, BassKees said:

The Fishman is for my double bass, MicroBass II for bass guitar. I switch between them with the Mooer ABY.

I mention because the ebs microbass 3 has 2 inputs (and channels), sufficient impedance for a double bass, and then all the features of the Fishman except the notch filter and hpf

Anyway just a thought. I really liked the fishman though, eq is really musical and subtle

• Like 1

20230513_020352.thumb.jpg.bcf632bcd3eac788e113eaa8b7f7e2af.jpg 

Hopefully the last edit I make! (It won't be). New (to me) Cali76 is a game changer for me!

*Hotone soul press used as an expression pedal, which controls overdrive gain, a volume pedal and a bass wah within the ampero stomp.

*Ampero stomp used for Ampeg SVT preamp into slight studio reverb with global eq providing targeted mid bumps as well as LPF and HPF. Also used for drive, various song specific eqs aswell as, envelope filter, stacked compressor, phase, and stacked drive and fuzz.

Side note: what a dark horse the ampero II stomp is! Fantastic sounding modeller, with brilliant user interface. Their own model of bass drive (solid steel) sounds bloody marvellous, and I usually hate digital drives. Special shout outs to their green phase and moog envelope filter models too... personally find this to be quality over quantity,  but what it does I'd argue it does best in class (2 x hx stomp owner here for comparrison).

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 6

bd0523.thumb.jpg.f40730b446322f6f30de50a6cd1f8382.jpg

Made some changes recently. Replaced my old Turbo Tuner with the Turbo Tuner Mini. Replaced my ODB-3 with the MBD2 (I love this pedal!) 

That created enough space to add a Carbon Copy as a little temporary fun extra. 

I've been thinking of getting hold of a Walrus Julia to use instead of the CE-2B. That'd make space for something like a Meris Polymoon where the CC is. Open to suggestions about good chorus', they just need to be in an enclosure along the lines of the MBD2 ideally. Seems like the Walrus Julia, EQD Aurelius and JHS Emperor are the main items that fill the bill? 

I like the idea of the Julia and the Polymoon or Red Panda Context 2 as I've been thinking of putting an "ambient" "adjacent" guitar setup together. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ordep said:

Grab n Go board when I am too lazy to carry the big one. 😁

09E1E0F8-6885-4C6C-9B67-2A507ECC02E4.jpeg

I've been considering doing something similar, but im worried if i do that the big one will never be used!

Are these pedals from the "big" board or all different ones? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, northcountrybob said:

bd0523.thumb.jpg.f40730b446322f6f30de50a6cd1f8382.jpg

Made some changes recently. Replaced my old Turbo Tuner with the Turbo Tuner Mini. Replaced my ODB-3 with the MBD2 (I love this pedal!) 

That created enough space to add a Carbon Copy as a little temporary fun extra. 

I've been thinking of getting hold of a Walrus Julia to use instead of the CE-2B. That'd make space for something like a Meris Polymoon where the CC is. Open to suggestions about good chorus', they just need to be in an enclosure along the lines of the MBD2 ideally. Seems like the Walrus Julia, EQD Aurelius and JHS Emperor are the main items that fill the bill? 

I like the idea of the Julia and the Polymoon or Red Panda Context 2 as I've been thinking of putting an "ambient" "adjacent" guitar setup together. 

I can vouch for the Julia. The blend knob is really useful and the ability to vary the 'Lag' allows for some great tones.

• Like 1