Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I love making pedalboards for guitar and bass; very rarely do I play two runs of gigs with the same effects (less true on guitar now I have a Kemper). I've got a Hogmanay show coming up and I decided to buy Cioks DC7 to make a mini board with the Metro 16.

It's easy for me to fall victim to wanting to pack everything into one board and future-proof it for any gig possible, but today I decided that I wasn't going to splash out on an expensive multi-effects and instead just pick what I actually use. 95% of the time this is all I've needed on bass (the other 5% being the occasional chorus effect), and even then the ODR-1 is just for one song in the set. Feels nice to travel light for once!

322006672_1233819570504306_3820054905508913455_n.jpg

Edited by Auctioneer
  • Like 5

On 26/12/2022 at 21:11, Bunion said:

Haven’t been on in awhile, recovering a shoulder injury that went a bit Pete tong.

Anyway I can now play bass again so I put together what I like to call my ‘clover’ build.

watch this space it may be for sale shortly 🥳

067B7133-66D5-4915-B4EE-954F02370648.thumb.jpeg.e6fa1139aa0bc77903679f6e03019c33.jpeg

Ill take that octavbre if its going! Let me know! Dibs!!! :D

Haven’t been on in awhile, recovering a shoulder injury that went a bit Pete tong.

Anyway I can now play bass again so I put together what I like to call my ‘clover’ build.

Edited by lidl e
Oops

067B7133-66D5-4915-B4EE-954F02370648.thumb.jpeg.e6fa1139aa0bc77903679f6e03019c33.jpeg

Oh wow, I love that board!At one point my boards contained all of these (except the Octavbre)  I really miss my old Pwnzor, let me know if you're selling it 🙏😁

Edited by lee650

My board, updated with a couple of new pedals. Got an EHX Bass Clone which is a gorgeous chorus pedal and way more natural sounding than the TC Corona pedal it replaced. Also got a Mooer A7 reverb which is fabulous and I find is a much more versatile and interesting pedal than the TC Hall of Fame 2 that it replaced. These two pedals combined with my fretless is sublime. Plus I've got room to sneak a compressor pedal in when funds allow.

20221230_170355.thumb.jpg.0a17955287b91b58ed3850d52ba0b6f9.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not really an effects player, but this is the board I'm using for our funk, soul and r'n'b covers band's NYE gig. Usually go without the envelope filter, but it's fun to use now and again on the odd fill!

Banged the board together last year out of a bit of cast-off timber from a DIY project.

I'm compressor curious, and have been for years, but definitely don't need one. It's just there's space for one...

IMG_20221230_.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts as a small board, but it's clearly too small for the pedals on it so I'm going with that! 😬

I've been around the houses lately with this; been through a Sansamp VTDI, then an HX stomp in place of the Le Bass, and a Diabolik in place of the Sovtek. I also had an optocomp at the front of the chain.

I Found the low end on the sansamp to be bloated and unrefined.

I then found that I was shoehorning in effects and over complicating things because I could with the HX stomp and was never truly convinced against analogue counterparts (it couldn't even kick my hot wax off my board).

I also just didn't like the flavour that the optocomp added.

Reasons for losing the Diabolik were I just couldn't get it to retain low end (despite general consensus of huge low end retention) unless I had so much clean dialled in that it no longer sounded synthy.  I suspect it just didn't get along with my basses though.

The Le Bass is a fantastic pre, which I'm using as an always on sweetner, and fusion mode for a dirtier rock tone. Struggle to get A, B, and A+B all matched for use at the same time, but A and A+B are worth the cost of admission.

The Sovtek is a hugely versatile muff with clean blend, and whilst not as synthy as I'd like, with the sweepable mids get me somewhere into that realm...

20221226_111257.thumb.jpg.b76581c3e41bf09f17d89e21dd840ea5.jpg

• Like 5

The latest iteration of my 'do it all' board. I belong to two bands and I often dep with two others. This board will cover the two deps (a wide range of genres and styles) and the blues band.

DSCG0290-1-2.thumb.jpg.8552f88262e809ce05e47f98fa000527.jpg

It is subject to change without notice. 😃 I am contemplating a separate board for the blues band with Behringer pedals - the Tube Amp Modeler would then go on that board. The Glowplug and the compressor are always on. I'm still fine tuning the Glowplug but it's close to what I'm after - warmth rather than overdrive. This goes into a Peavey Minimax 600 and a pair of 1x10" Trace Elliot cabs.

The Hulla band board is much simpler, partly due to the songs and arrangements and partly because it's a large band (12-13 in total) and space is often limited. The Zoom gives me a chorus, a spacey flange patch and a defretted sound. As we add new songs or re-arrange existing ones the Zoom will provide most of what I may need. The Digbeth goes straight into the desk for the main sound and I take a feed to my TCE BAM200 into one of my 1x10" Trace cabs. With this band, I'm slowly moving to in ear monitoring and the backline is largely for confidence/back up.

DSCG0291-1.thumb.jpg.7ff16c8555f1e831adb17117685a224c.jpg

Both boards are home made from plastic fascia board off-cuts and copious amounts of black gaffa tape.

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Not sure if this counts as a small board, but it's clearly too small for the pedals on it so I'm going with that! 😬

I've been around the houses lately with this; been through a Sansamp VTDI, then an HX stomp in place of the Le Bass, and a Diabolik in place of the Sovtek. I also had an optocomp at the front of the chain.

I then found that I was shoehorning in effects and over complicating things because I could with the HX stomp and was never truly convinced against analogue counterparts (it couldn't even kick my hot wax off my board).

Reasons for losing the Diabolik were I just couldn't get it to retain low end (despite general consensus of huge low end retention) unless I had so much clean dialled in that it no longer sounded synthy.  I suspect it just didn't get along with my basses though.

The Le Bass is a fantastic pre, which I'm using as an always on sweetner, and fusion mode for a dirtier rock tone. Struggle to get A, B, and A+B all matched for use at the same time, but A and A+B are worth the cost of admission.

The Sovtek is a hugely versatile muff with clean blend, and whilst not as synthy as I'd like, with the sweepable mids get me somewhere into that realm...

I think you just purchased the two-notes off me? Nice board ✌️

18 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I put the HX Stomp on my board last week, I did a get gigs with it this week and I'm really not convinced. I spent ages making some patches that sounded great at home,and at the gigs they've sounded too tippy and much louder. If that was a pedal I could quickly nudge it, but that's not really possible with the Hx.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Le Bass. I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a Noble preamp. Should I save money (and 10 months) and pick up a 2 notes?

Ok… I’m an old dude (63), playing since 17 …and I’ve never wanted anything other than the clearest, piano string-like bass sound achievable, in my life.

…Until ‘22.   
I discovered that I *do* like a bit of seasoning.    I was just ignorant of the possibilities…

my search has seen me make a LOT of errors.   Blind alleys.   And expensive dead ends.

But I found my (new) mojo.

As you’ll notice, there’s a lot of overdrives.   (The “Substance” only arrived this morning, so although I’ve tried it, I’m still in the infancy with it.  It’s currently not integrated).

There’s probably a lot of redundancy here, …but right now, I have a mix of 4 (or 5) drives plus the comp making my new interesting and tweakable sound.   There will have to be a period of ‘rationalisation’ in early ‘23 no doubt.

Have a great New Year my bass buddy guy & gals!   

5DD8A260-2764-4B93-A27E-71624CD495FF.jpeg

Edited by GremlinAndy
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, EmmettC said:

I put the HX Stomp on my board last week, I did a get gigs with it this week and I'm really not convinced. I spent ages making some patches that sounded great at home,and at the gigs they've sounded too tippy and much louder. If that was a pedal I could quickly nudge it, but that's not really possible with the Hx.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Le Bass. I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a Noble preamp. Should I save money (and 10 months) and pick up a 2 notes?

The Le Bass certainly looks to be more versatile than the Noble, but the one thing the Noble does it does RREEEEAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY well. I've only had mine for a couple of months but already its a must have in my rig.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

The Le Bass certainly looks to be more versatile than the Noble, but the one thing the Noble does it does RREEEEAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY well. I've only had mine for a couple of months but already its a must have in my rig.

I didn't know you had one. Hmmmm, that's interesting. I'm going to order one next week. I figure if I don't like it I won't have any trouble selling it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GremlinAndy said:

Ok… I’m an old dude (63), playing since 17 …and I’ve never wanted anything other than the clearest, piano string-like bass sound achievable, in my life.

…Until ‘22.   
I discovered that I *do* like a bit of seasoning.    I was just ignorant of the possibilities…

my search has seen me make a LOT of errors.   Blind alleys.   And expensive dead ends.

But I found my (new) mojo.

As you’ll notice, there’s a lot of overdrives.   (The “Substance” only arrived this morning, so although I’ve tried it, I’m still in the infancy with it.  It’s currently not integrated).

There’s probably a lot of redundancy here, …but right now, I have a mix of 4 (or 5) drives plus the comp making my new interesting and tweakable sound.   There will have to be a period of ‘rationalisation’ in early ‘23 no doubt.

Have a great New Year my bass buddy guy & gals!   

5DD8A260-2764-4B93-A27E-71624CD495FF.jpeg

Those Blackstone mosfet overdrives sound great, how are you finding it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

Those Blackstone mosfet overdrives sound great, how are you finding it? 

Very cool.   That pedal is my ‘always on’ pedal at the moment just to provide that bit of break-up. 
I need to try swapping the order around to put it forward in the chain, but that, and the MBD2 are the ones I’ll be sticking with, while the others may vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/12/2022 at 18:18, EmmettC said:

Have you considered the Jad Freer Capo? I was all aboard the Noble hype train and going to order one but at getting on for £1300 and the best part of a year to wait I couldn’t bring myself to it. The Capo is starting to pop up with some good players, got mine just before Christmas and it’s blown me away. 

46 minutes ago, Rattle&Drum said:

Have you considered the Jad Freer Capo? I was all aboard the Noble hype train and going to order one but at getting on for £1300 and the best part of a year to wait I couldn’t bring myself to it. The Capo is starting to pop up with some good players, got mine just before Christmas and it’s blown me away. 

I'm confused

apart from being able to be preamps with balanced outputs there Noble, Capo, and Stomp aren't even in the same ballparks of one another in terms of why you would buy one over another.  

@EmmettC - I used a HX stomp for years. If you're into a digital effects workflow it's great. Look at the free stuff Jon Willis has done on facebook his tone lab site for interesting starting places, it will take more than a week to learn and work out what is and isn't working for you...
I sold mine as individual pedals knobs is just simpler and I look at screens all day in the day job and you know, stuff... make of that what you will!