Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Thanks mate :)

The pedal on the top right is an A/B mute switch so it sends my signal to my tuner.

I've had the Voodoobass for *thinking* just over 4 years now. It's my favourite bass overdrive/distortion. It does suck a bit of the low end out but I just love the sound of it :huh: There are better pedals out there for the job but there's just something about the Voodoobass I love. I mostly got the X-blender out of curiosity (and for tonal variation) and it has added another dimension to the Voodoobass' sound.

If you want an idea of what it sounds like, listen to "Spread your Love" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Edited by BigBassBob

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='133981' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:12 PM']Thanks mate :)

The pedal on the top right is an A/B mute switch so it sends my signal to my tuner.

I've had the Voodoobass for *thinking* just over 4 years now. It's my favourite bass overdrive/distortion. It does suck a bit of the low end out but I just love the sound of it :huh: There are better pedals out there for the job but there's just something about the Voodoobass I love. I mostly got the X-blender out of curiosity (and for tonal variation) and it has added another dimension to the Voodoobass' sound.

If you want an idea of what it sounds like, listen to "Spread your Love" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.[/quote]

Had a listen to BRMC and that's a really nice, meaty sound they get there. I'm in the process of building a board and have received some helpful tips and advice throughout this thread so far and others and I'm in the information gathering phase of building. I guess I'm after three main effects loops:

A straight boosted line that cuts through
A tubey sounding (nothing over heavy) loop that kind of 'Jack Brucifies'
An octave > Dist/Fuzz > Analogue loop that funkifies and erm...stuff

Any pointers would be welcomed

For tubey warmth or grind, you could go down the tube route and get an EHX English Muffin or one of Dave Hall's pedals. My Voodoobass doesn't sound as nice as a driven tube amp, but with lower settings i get some nice tube-esque warmth.

"Boosted line that cuts through" - I'd say either a boost pedal such as MXR Microamp, Catalinbread Serrano Picoso. Or if you want something with more bite, possibly an EQ pedal.

It's all very subjective... the other effect you asked for is pretty much synth (octave into fuzz into an envelope filter)... you could get all 3 in one package with something like the discontinued Akai Deep Impact or the EHX Bass Micro Synth. Then again you could buy all three separately, and if you were to get the right mix of pedals, get a far better tone than a single "synth" unit. Funky effects aren't my speciality, so I'm gonna stop giving advice and wait for someone who's more suited to chip in :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='134180' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:08 AM']What's the boss pedal with the flash pointing at it? AW-3? What do you think of it? I have an AW-3 which I like, but i've read loads of crap reviews of it.[/quote]

Correct its an AW3, I really like it! was looking for an Envelope filter and tried it out in the shop, never read any reviews.
Can make some crazy sounds when used with the overdrive pedal (another pedal I like but has some bad reviews!)

I'm going to check out the reviews now :)

I use an EXP pedal with mine always. I have it so that when the pedal is full back, I get a horribly ear-raping high-frequency full picking tone, kinda like justin chancellor live, but a bit more nasty. I also use it with overdrive and/or dist to make some funky wah sounds! You can get it to sound really "vocal".

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='134055' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:44 AM']For tubey warmth or grind, you could go down the tube route and get an EHX English Muffin or one of Dave Hall's pedals. My Voodoobass doesn't sound as nice as a driven tube amp, but with lower settings i get some nice tube-esque warmth.

"Boosted line that cuts through" - I'd say either a boost pedal such as MXR Microamp, Catalinbread Serrano Picoso. Or if you want something with more bite, possibly an EQ pedal.

It's all very subjective... the other effect you asked for is pretty much synth (octave into fuzz into an envelope filter)... you could get all 3 in one package with something like the discontinued Akai Deep Impact or the EHX Bass Micro Synth. Then again you could buy all three separately, and if you were to get the right mix of pedals, get a far better tone than a single "synth" unit. Funky effects aren't my speciality, so I'm gonna stop giving advice and wait for someone who's more suited to chip in :)[/quote]

Thanks for your reply to my query. I might post it on the enquiries part of the effects forum as I fear I'm getting a little off topic here on the pedalboard bit.

cheers fella

[quote name='cheddatom' post='134218' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:01 PM']I use an EXP pedal with mine always. I have it so that when the pedal is full back, I get a horribly ear-raping high-frequency full picking tone, kinda like justin chancellor live, but a bit more nasty. I also use it with overdrive and/or dist to make some funky wah sounds! You can get it to sound really "vocal".[/quote]

Not tried mine with a EXP pedal yet, but have been wanting to since i used a std wah for recording last year.
Something else to add to my GAS list!

Here is my first proper pedal board. I use it in my melodic death metal band.

on a TKL large pedal board From left to right iv Whammy, digitech bass sqeeze, boss ceb-3 chorus, tone factor mule, boss FZ-2 hyper fuzz, Danelectro french toast and a delay.

im sure they r in the wrong order but seems ok to me but pls feel free to make suggestions.

Just got the tonefctor it is my first boutique pedal and i must admit there is a big difference in sound.

I want to replace the bass squeeze with ademeter compulator or Ebs and maybe a better dely. I want to add something else like a flanger or phaser. Also i need some better leads i know. And i think i could prob do with a looper thing maybe with a feedback loop.

Not on the board might sell might not but they r redundent just now
zoom b2-u
marshall govner reissue
big muff
bass balls
H ank K distortion
behringer bass distortion
digitech bass synth wah
morley funk bass wah 2

id recommend you stick the chorus at then end just before the delay, perhaps put the bass squeeze right at the end after the delay, but then again i like compression before distortions..

but hey man whatever works for you :)

Edited by BassManKev

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my first board. Spider Engineering case, with rubber feet added to the wooden platform to allow the cables to go underneath. Chain is:

Ibanez LU20 Tuner -> EBS Multicomp -> DigitechBass Synth Wah -> DHA VT2 Dual Custom Bass -> Aphex Bass Xciter

The massive power supply is the 12v one supplied by DHA, and my mini 9v Johnnyshredfreak supply sits on top. The power strip is right angled so that the leads can tuck in down the side of the board to keep things tidy.

All of this has been bought within the last 6 weeks, letting off some serious GAS!

[url="http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dannybuoysboardvu8.jpg"][/url]