Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I tried the SYB-3 and didn't like it at all. I tried the SYB-5 and loved it, so, just a suggestion, if you haven't tried it yet, you should!

What's the ashdown envelope filter like? Is it worth all that space on the board?

Do you have the whammy at the end of the chain?

It's so cool to see so many interesting boards on this thread. I've never played a gig where a bassist from another band has more than one pedal!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='69577' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:56 PM']I tried the SYB-3 and didn't like it at all. I tried the SYB-5 and loved it, so, just a suggestion, if you haven't tried it yet, you should!

What's the ashdown envelope filter like? Is it worth all that space on the board?

Do you have the whammy at the end of the chain?
It's so cool to see so many interesting boards on this thread. I've never played a gig where a bassist from another band has more than one pedal![/quote]

Funny, I tried the SYB-5 and thought it sucked compared to the SYB-3. I only use it for long sustained sci-fi noises though, nothing too quick - I know nothing tracks like a Deep Impact...

Ashdown Envelope filter is ok, only that. I also have a DOD FX25 whcih may take it's place soon. It is a big pedal.

Whammy is indeed at the end of the chain - wasn't sure where best to put it, but it seems happy enough there.

Cheers
Stu

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='69612' date='Oct 4 2007, 06:13 PM']At least when it works :huh:

I find that certain pedals make it crash :)[/quote]

not if you have it in the right part of the chain, namely right at the beggining :huh:

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='69567' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:47 PM']Pedals as following, in this order of signal chain:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Korg DT-2 Tuner
MXR MicroAmp
DigiTech DD-3 Digital Delay
DHA Distortion
DOD Stereo Phaser
EBS Chorus
Boss SYB-3 Synth
Ashdown Envelope Filter
DigiTech Whammy Pedal

I power most of this using the Dunlop 9V brick, and it lives on a Pedaltrain board. This is what I take on tour with Carl Palmer, and believe me, it all gets used frequently!

Stu[/quote]
dude that chain seems pretty messed up:

firstly, the whammy should always be near the begining of the chain if not first, due to tracking issues and so that it works well with other pedals, such as distortion
why dont you put the tuner coming out the dry out of the whammy? it might save any tone suck
delays are typically one of the last if not THE last in a chain, you would benefit doin this
you have the synth near the end? surely it would track better and work with other effects better at the start?
out of personal preference i would have the volume pedal at the end

heres the order id do:

Whammy (tuner dry out), mxr micro amp, Boss syb-3, DHA distortion, ashdown filter, dod stereo phaser, ebs unichorus, dd-3, volume pedal

play with it dude, i dont think your gettin the most out of the rather good pedals!

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='69622' date='Oct 4 2007, 06:29 PM']dude that chain seems pretty messed up:

firstly, the whammy should always be near the begining of the chain if not first, due to tracking issues and so that it works well with other pedals, such as distortion
why dont you put the tuner coming out the dry out of the whammy? it might save any tone suck
delays are typically one of the last if not THE last in a chain, you would benefit doin this
you have the synth near the end? surely it would track better and work with other effects better at the start?
out of personal preference i would have the volume pedal at the end

heres the order id do:

Whammy (tuner dry out), mxr micro amp, Boss syb-3, DHA distortion, ashdown filter, dod stereo phaser, ebs unichorus, dd-3, volume pedal

play with it dude, i dont think your gettin the most out of the rather good pedals![/quote]

Interesting, someone else recommended the order I use now, which appears to be the opposite of what you're suggesting. In all honesty, the Whammy performs perfectly and I've found it better with the distortion before it. The synth and delay are only ever used individually, so there's not been a problem with any of it.

Suggestions taken on board though, when I get chance I'll rejig the order as you suggest, see if I like it better.

Stu

[quote name='Bidd' post='69658' date='Oct 4 2007, 07:51 PM']HOW CAN YOU ALL AFFORD ALL THESE THINGS!!!

sorry random post but I have £200 a month budget at uni, so a deep impact would mean no spending ANY money for around a
month

P.S. I hate you all[/quote]
were do you plan on finding a deep impact for £200?? :)

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='69762' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:09 PM']tbh, I got my Deep Impact for £195 and sold it for £195 to Higgie... very cool pedal, and some nice sounds out of it, but the whole vibe of it was a bit too digital and cheesy for my liking.[/quote]

And I'm still loving it. Fantastic synth pedal. I agree I wouldn't pay what they seem to be going for nowadays, but I consider £195 an extremely good deal :)

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='69580' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:59 PM']Funny, I tried the SYB-5 and thought it sucked compared to the SYB-3. I only use it for long sustained sci-fi noises though, nothing too quick - I know nothing tracks like a Deep Impact...

Ashdown Envelope filter is ok, only that. I also have a DOD FX25 whcih may take it's place soon. It is a big pedal.

Whammy is indeed at the end of the chain - wasn't sure where best to put it, but it seems happy enough there.

Cheers
Stu[/quote]

I have to say that on paper, I agree with Kev about the order of your chain. If I put a whammy after distortion, without any nice dirt/OD after it, it will give me nasty tone indeed!

Also, I find it weird that you would only use delay on it's own. Stick your delay at the end of your chain, and then fill up the delay with effects! It's fun.

Whenever i'm at gigs, people ask me how much my board cost, where did I get all the money etc, and it really winds me up! I've been broke all my life, and not just because I buy gear. I buy used cheap crap of ebay, and then make it sound good.

I did spend £110 on a wah probe, but, that was totally worth it. That's my most expensive pedal.

Kev - Where do I get a deep impact cheap then? I'd love to play with one, I don't really like the synths on the zoom I have.

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='69567' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:47 PM']Hi all,

Thought I'd chip in an add a pic of my pedal board, which looks like this:

Pedals as following, in this order of signal chain:

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Korg DT-2 Tuner
MXR MicroAmp
DigiTech DD-3 Digital Delay
DHA Distortion
DOD Stereo Phaser
EBS Chorus
Boss SYB-3 Synth
Ashdown Envelope Filter
DigiTech Whammy Pedal

I power most of this using the Dunlop 9V brick, and it lives on a Pedaltrain board. This is what I take on tour with Carl Palmer, and believe me, it all gets used frequently!

Stu[/quote]

Hi Stu,

Nice to see you posting and glad the DHA is on the board.

Stu's pedal is a custom DHA VT1 that was made for him to provide a tone required for his work with Carl. It's based on a VT1-MK3-Bass and I hope we got near the tone you where looking for?

When is the review coming out?

Dave

Edited by DHA

[quote name='DHA' post='69850' date='Oct 5 2007, 09:33 AM']Hi Stu,

Nice to see you posting and glad the DHA is on the board.

Stu's pedal is a custom DHA VT1 that was made for him to provide a tone required for his work with Carl. It's based on a VT1-MK3-Bass and I hope we got near the tone you where looking for?

When is the review coming out?

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

Yeah, it's got the sound I need, so you'll notice that my EBS Multi-Drive is now absent from my board!

Stu

ok...i've stopped mathering and this is the pedalboard for the upcoming drum and bass radio session.

fender cowpoke >> behringer tuner >> aria platinum drive >> cae line booster >> ehx micro q-tron >> ehx small clone >> behringer bdi >> desk

i've had to put the cae booster in there, and run it to make up for the vol boost that comes from the q-tron.

Edited by ahpook

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Toasted' post='74458' date='Oct 15 2007, 10:19 AM']Looks good :)[/quote]

ta - in the end i didn't use the behringer - there simply wasn't enough room in the studio.

it still rocked though...

now, where am i going to fit the double muff and the small stone (thanks old horse murphy !)

:huh:

Ill try and get a pic up when I get a chance. Been meaning to do it for ages!
Heres the signal chain anyway:

Digitech Whammy IV
Tonefactor Hellbaby
Barge VFB-2
> Maxon AF-9
> Tech21 Comptortion
> EHX Little Big Muff
> Boss BF-2
> Ibanez Weeping Demon
EBS Multicomp
Korg DT-10

Its powered with a Godlyke Powerall. I hopefully plan on replacing the Big Muff with a B:Assmaster, the Comptortion with another distortion pedal (maybe the T-Rex Mudhoney), the BF-2 with a Subdecay Quasar, and maybe putting a P+C / Noisebox in there...

Edited by Roady

[quote name='Roady' post='76015' date='Oct 18 2007, 02:38 PM']Ill try and get a pic up when I get a chance. Been meaning to do it for ages!
Heres the signal chain anyway:

Digitech Whammy IV
Tonefactor Hellbaby
Barge VFB-2
> Maxon AF-9
> Tech21 Comptortion
> EHX Little Big Muff
> Boss BF-2
> Ibanez Weeping Demon
EBS Multicomp
Korg DT-10

Its powered with a Godlyke Powerall. I hopefully plan on replacing the Big Muff with a B:Assmaster, the Comptortion with another distortion pedal (maybe the T-Rex Mudhoney), the BF-2 with a Subdecay Quasar, and maybe putting a P+C / Noisebox in there...[/quote]

Fantastic board mate, hows the Hellbaby holding up? I love the AF-9, good filter. You should try the XXL, its really thick - I kind of want one again!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='76207' date='Oct 18 2007, 09:28 PM']I'm done :-)

Keeping a T-Rex Bass Juice for a different distortion for another band. And a BF-2B which I haven't decided if I'm selling or keeping yet. Apart from that, perfect pedals for all my needs and don't need anything else.[/quote]

Nice clean board with a good selection of pedals. Well done sir!