Why become a member? ×

In praise of ACS pro plugs

leroydiamond

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1479557366' post='3177436']
I always keep my plugs in my gig bag. That way, if I'm playing, I've got them.
[/quote]

So do I, but I also use them when riding my bike, so sometimes I get caught at a gig with the plugs at home in the pocket of my bike jacket. Not ridden his year, so the problem hasn't arisen.

First gig with the PRO17s last night and they were...., well, not quite what I thought.

First the good.

This was a CIU club with a stage, low ceiling and strangely muffled acoustic. Guitarist's amp right behind me and turned up to usual. Drummer to my right hitting everything in sight with gay abandon. I don't think I could have done the gig without the earplugs. I took them out for one song and quickly shoved them back in.
They were completely comfortable to the extent that I didn't really know I had them in. Other than the noise being turned down, that is.
I could hear everything well. Even my bass which, without the plugs, was being drowned out by the guitar.

But the odd bit (I won't call it "the bad") is that everything felt a bit......, meh. I'm not sure how to describe it. Just everything was a bit 'remote' and the songs sounded a bit flat and lifeless to the extent that I found myself overplaying to try and drive some life into them.

I'm hoping that this is just a combination of me getting having to get used to the plugs and the strange on-stage sound we had at that venue (friends in the audience said the mix and volume were spot on so clearly it was just the onstage acoustics that were horrid).

Everything else about these is perfect, I guess I now just need to get used to the way that the band sounds while I'm wearing them.

Edited by Skinnyman

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1479640844' post='3177989']
First gig with the PRO17s last night and they were...., well, not quite what I thought.

First the good.

This was a CIU club with a stage, low ceiling and strangely muffled acoustic. Guitarist's amp right behind me and turned up to usual. Drummer to my right hitting everything in sight with gay abandon. I don't think I could have done the gig without the earplugs. I took them out for one song and quickly shoved them back in.
They were completely comfortable to the extent that I didn't really know I had them in. Other than the noise being turned down, that is.
I could hear everything well. Even my bass which, without the plugs, was being drowned out by the guitar.

But the odd bit (I won't call it "the bad") is that everything felt a bit......, meh. I'm not sure how to describe it. Just everything was a bit 'remote' and the songs sounded a bit flat and lifeless to the extent that I found myself overplaying to try and drive some life into them.

I'm hoping that this is just a combination of me getting having to get used to the plugs and the strange on-stage sound we had at that venue (friends in the audience said the mix and volume were spot on so clearly it was just the onstage acoustics that were horrid).

Everything else about these is perfect, I guess I now just need to get used to the way that the band sounds while I'm wearing them.
[/quote]I know what you mean, I've never got over it, I wear an ACS in the ear nearest the drummer and a 'christmas tree' one in the other which I can move in and out to get the rid of the feeling of muffled remoteness, but then again I'm a bit deaf anyway

Right!

I'm done with my "christmas tree" plugs that reduce the sound but sound pretty naff, so much so that I find myself not using plugs when I think the onstage sound is low enough... but the thing is I'm still closer to the drummer than I should if I'm going to spend so much time exposed to that :unsure: .

I want a set of ACS Pro17... their graphs seem just right.
What's the process? You contact them, sort through them an appointment with a local audiologist to get the moulds made... and wait a couple of weeks, or something along those lines, right?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1479652744' post='3178125']
Right!

I'm done with my "christmas tree" plugs that reduce the sound but sound pretty naff, so much so that I find myself not using plugs when I think the onstage sound is low enough... but the thing is I'm still closer to the drummer than I should if I'm going to spend so much time exposed to that :unsure: .

What's the process? You contact them, sort through them an appointment with a local audiologist to get the moulds made... and wait a couple of weeks, or something along those lines, right?
[/quote]

Basically, yes.

Order online via their website choosing the options you want (I got corded and had my name lasered on to them. Although, in hindsight, that may not have been necessary. I mean, who else's ears would they fit, right?).They send you a voucher which you print. Make an appointment with a local audiologist (I used Boots) - ACS have a list on their website. Give them the voucher, they squirt stuff in your ears, let it set and then they remove it to send to ACS. Wait a few weeks (I think I waited about a fortnight). Enjoy

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479641139' post='3177994']
Been using mine for about 3 years now, and remember the 'remoteness' for the first handful of gigs, it soon passes and the earplug level becomes normal.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1479641218' post='3177996']
Imagine if/when your hearing sounds like that when you have no plugs in?
[/quote]
Indeed - which is why I'll persevere with them

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1479655423' post='3178149']
Basically, yes.

Order online via their website choosing the options you want (I got corded and had my name lasered on to them. Although, in hindsight, that may not have been necessary. I mean, who else's ears would they fit, right?).They send you a voucher which you print. Make an appointment with a local audiologist (I used Boots) - ACS have a list on their website. Give them the voucher, they squirt stuff in your ears, let it set and then they remove it to send to ACS. Wait a few weeks (I think I waited about a fortnight). Enjoy
[/quote]

Very useful, thank you!!!

corded sounds like a good option, I know I'd have lost my cheap ones many times if it weren't for the cord that joins them.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1479652744' post='3178125']
[/quote]

I did the whole thing through my local Boots branch. They do the impressions then deal with the rest for you,

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1479901490' post='3180105']
I did the whole thing through my local Boots branch. They do the impressions then deal with the rest for you,
[/quote]

Yep - you just make an appointment at Boots for a hearing test and tell them it's because you want some ACS plugs, they check your hearing and your ear canals, take the moulds and you pay there and then. Everything is included in the price. A couple of weeks later they pop through your letter box. If you decide, like I did, that you need different attenuation ( I dropped from 17's to 15's)you can send them back within a month and they'll swap the inserts FOC. Mine were back in three days. I've had them three years and never play or rehearse without them. They also keep your moulds on file, so if you need another pair you can just order them using your original customer number. Great service, great product. Buy some.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1479901490' post='3180105']
[/quote]

thank you.

I'm going away for a week so when I return I'll get on with this

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1479906610' post='3180164']
Yep - you just make an appointment at Boots for a hearing test and tell them it's because you want some ACS plugs, they check your hearing and your ear canals, take the moulds and you pay there and then. Everything is included in the price. A couple of weeks later they pop through your letter box. If you decide, like I did, that you need different attenuation ( I dropped from 17's to 15's)you can send them back within a month and they'll swap the inserts FOC. Mine were back in three days. I've had them three years and never play or rehearse without them. They also keep your moulds on file, so if you need another pair you can just order them using your original customer number. Great service, great product. Buy some.
[/quote]

is the filter substitution something you could do yourself? Just wondering whether it could be practical to have two sets of attenuation filters... although I guess one level works unless you play with different bands with wildly different sound levels...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1479906998' post='3180172']
is the filter substitution something you could do yourself? Just wondering whether it could be practical to have two sets of attenuation filters... although I guess one level works unless you play with different bands with wildly different sound levels...
[/quote]

Yes, the filters can be taken out and put back quite easily.

Yes you certainly can. The inserts pop out of the moulds with the assistance of the little plastic cleaning tool that comes with them. You have to be able to remove them, because you should wash the moulds in warm soapy water occasionally and you must not get water in the inserts. (or a gentle tease with a cocktail stick as I lost the plastic tool at a gig some time ago). Do be careful though, because they are quite small and do literally "pop" out. First time I did it I spent five minutes on my hands and knees under the kitchen table! Fortunately I found the one I dropped.
I have considered getting some even lower ones for watching gigs, and some higher ones for when my wife snores!

FinnDave beat me to it!

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1479907944' post='3180186']
Yes you certainly can. The inserts pop out of the moulds with the assistance of the little plastic cleaning tool that comes with them. You have to be able to remove them, because you should wash the moulds in warm soapy water occasionally and you must not get water in the inserts. (or a gentle tease with a cocktail stick as I lost the plastic tool at a gig some time ago). Do be careful though, because they are quite small and do literally "pop" out. First time I did it I spent five minutes on my hands and knees under the kitchen table! Fortunately I found the one I dropped.
I have considered getting some even lower ones for watching gigs, and some higher ones for when my wife snores!

FinnDave beat me to it!
[/quote]

Ha!

Right... I'll contact ACS and suggest they make the filters magnetic, so that if you drop them all you have to do is comb the area with a magnet ;)

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1480059529' post='3181294']
20% off black Friday. I went to put it in the Black Friday thread but the EBSter got there before me.
[/quote]

cool! just when I was about to order anyway...

although I see no sign of a discount when I get to the checkout, hmmm, I think it's for certain products on Amazon, not by ACS directly. Nevermind... press the button!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1480066371' post='3181353']
Promo code XMAS16
[/quote]

oh! just in time!!!

I got distracted and didn't finish the transaction then... and I got the chance to use this code. Awesome! Only £111.20. Next time I see you at the Tickled Trout I'll buy you a beer ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1480067686' post='3181379']

oh! just in time!!!

I got distracted and didn't finish the transaction then... and I got the chance to use this code. Awesome! Only £111.20. Next time I see you at the Tickled Trout I'll buy you a beer ;)
[/quote]

Chin-chin!

Think I'll spring for a pair of these - my hearing isn't bad and I should keep it that way.

Couple of questions about options :-

Grips? What are they?
Corded or not?
Colour - what do you guys reckon I suppose clear is the obvious subtle choice, or is it better to go bling in case you drop them? :o

Edited by redbandit599

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1480099102' post='3181717']
Think I'll spring for a pair of these - my hearing isn't bad and I should keep it that way.

Couple of questions about options :-

Grips? What are they?
Corded or not?
Colour - what do you guys reckon I suppose clear is the obvious subtle choice, or is it better to go bling in case you drop them? :o
[/quote]

grips... I said yes. I assume they'll be the little stems that help you get them out.

Corded... I said yes. My standard earplugs are joined by a cord and I like that.

Colour... I went with colourless. But I guess other colours may be better as they will stay looking good longer rather than turning yellowish with use, and may be easier to locate if dropped as you point out. Go for pink ;)