leroydiamond

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1480066371' post='3181353']
Promo code XMAS16
[/quote]

Cheers for that, I was going to order the day before glad I waited

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1480064563' post='3181339']

cool! just when I was about to order anyway...

although I see no sign of a discount when I get to the checkout, hmmm, I think it's for certain products on Amazon, not by ACS directly. Nevermind... press the button!
[/quote]

It is available on ACS site I ordered mine on there and got the discount

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480163831' post='3182118']
You download the voucher and take it to the audiologist.

Check first though, because some don't accept the voucher. The ACS website has a list of places that do accept.
[/quote]

Yup. Got the voucher and there's a Boots in their list just 5 minutes from my house.
Just need to call them now to make an appointment.

My two'penneth I bought a pair of Pro 17's about three years ago. At first I really struggled with the isolation and the unnatural detached feeling, but the upside was hearing every note you play, anywhere on the neck despite the cacophony going on around you. When I started running FOH sound from the side of the stage, I became so paranoid about what the audience was hearing that I stopped using the plugs (big mistake I know). After a year or so, I noticed that my hearing was definitely suffering (could be age related) so I dug the plugs out and tried to persevere with them, but by then I was back to the isolated feeling again. So I did a bit more research on the ACS website and decided that the 10's might be more suitable for my application so I ordered some replacement filters and hey presto, what a difference. I certainly do not feel isolated and the whole sound is more 'dynamic' with the added bonus of hearing everything I play (including the bum notes!). If you compare the graphs, there isn't a whole lotta difference between the 10's and the 17's but the 17's are rated for longer exposure. Given that for most gigs we do two sets and normally no more than 2 hours in total. the 10's work out just fine.
The difference is so big for me that I am now back to using them on every gig.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1480202375' post='3182549']
My two'penneth I bought a pair of Pro 17's about three years ago. At first I really struggled with the isolation and the unnatural detached feeling, but the upside was hearing every note you play, anywhere on the neck despite the cacophony going on around you. When I started running FOH sound from the side of the stage, I became so paranoid about what the audience was hearing that I stopped using the plugs (big mistake I know). After a year or so, I noticed that my hearing was definitely suffering (could be age related) so I dug the plugs out and tried to persevere with them, but by then I was back to the isolated feeling again. So I did a bit more research on the ACS website and decided that the 10's might be more suitable for my application so I ordered some replacement filters and hey presto, what a difference. I certainly do not feel isolated and the whole sound is more 'dynamic' with the added bonus of hearing everything I play (including the bum notes!). If you compare the graphs, there isn't a whole lotta difference between the 10's and the 17's but the 17's are rated for longer exposure. Given that for most gigs we do two sets and normally no more than 2 hours in total. the 10's work out just fine.
The difference is so big for me that I am now back to using them on every gig.
[/quote]

Thank you, that's useful info :)

I have some custom moulded plugs made by Emtec. I am lucky as my work paid for them. They cost £80, but they are really good at background noise cancellation. Will have to wear them at next years London bass show to give them a proper test against constant noise

Edited by timmo

• 4 months later...

I have been playing for 40 years now and the wife complaints how deaf I am! so went for ear test and now have to wear hearing aids!! So to protect them I got ACS 17 then 15 then 10 and hated it as felt like I was somewhere else. So got IEM found that really hard and couldnt talk to band members and new guitarist hated them. So I'm back looking for protectors? I have some xmas tree ones that I will try again but I might try some isolate one?????
Any other suggestions?

If you feel like you're "somewhere else" with these, then non filter plugs will be even worse.

I've been using my Pro17's since Christmas. They replaced my ACS ER15's of about 10 years. I wouldn't use anything else. Any plugs will change what we hear (that's their job) but in doing so they're protecting hearing even in the noisiest bands. I can still hear from the loudest guitar solo to the slightest stage whisper so it's all good.

I see a lot of the older guys coming to gigs these days and taking their hearing aids out. But they still aren't putting plugs in when they play! They're not playing Roulette with their hearing, it's Russian Roulette and with 6 bullets!

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1492085749' post='3277814']
I have been playing for 40 years now and the wife complaints how deaf I am! so went for ear test and now have to wear hearing aids!! So to protect them I got ACS 17 then 15 then 10 and hated it as felt like I was somewhere else. So got IEM found that really hard and couldnt talk to band members and new guitarist hated them. So I'm back looking for protectors? I have some xmas tree ones that I will try again but I might try some isolate one?????
Any other suggestions?
[/quote]I use ACS 10's in the ear next to the drummer and a christmas tree one in the other which I can pull in and out to suit, but yeah I can't get on with ACS 10's in both ears, could be something to do with being a bit deaf, I have hearing aids too

I too ride a motorbike but use the generic foam plugs for that. Got a bag full which will keep me going. Not sure I would want to use expensive plugs on a bike. I'm using Flare Isolate plugs for gigging currently

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1492085749' post='3277814']
Any other suggestions?
[/quote]
Aw man! Why didn't you talk to me about talk back systems? My band talks to each other via mics that go to just the IEMs, not the front of house.

Anyway, if you have some money to invest, you may want to look at the ACS live system and utilise just the live system, not the IEM feed bit. Its like wearing ear plugs with a volume control. May be worth giving them a shout to see if they can help you. I use my live systems in this way pretty much exclusively now - primarily when I'm depping in bands without the ability to give me an IEM feed.