Why become a member? ×

In praise of ACS pro plugs

leroydiamond

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1476973254' post='3158929']
After reading this thread I've just booked my appointment for a test, hopefully leading to having a moulded set made.

I've used the Christmas tree ones for years but never got used to them so often haven't bothered putting them in or wear only one. Not good.

With the big six - oooh coming next May and over 40 years working in loud environments it's a wonder I've any hearing left. time for action at last.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Frank.
[/quote]not sure why you don't get on with the 'christmas tree' ones, I forget they're in, a word of caution amongst all this love for ACS's I've never really got on with mine, I feel very detached from the music, so much so that I wear just one, the side with the drummer and tinnitus (not unrelated I suspect), I wear a 'christmas tree' one in the other, which I suppose proves they don't block out as much as the ACS's

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my ACS ones delivered and can't believe how clear things sound with them in.
Great fit. Will try them at next rehearsal to see how good they work.
All in all so far i'm pretty pleased with the service.

Bad news is the reason i bought them was the drummer in new band was loud but his snare is apparently tuned high and it was this singular drum that was painful at times has now been sacked for not showing up at rehearsals. He had a history of this before i joined.
Good news is that the new drummer is far more technical than loud and the full band now plays at a more respectable volume that doesn't really need earplugs for rehearsals anyway.

Still i can use them on the Harley :lol:

Dave

Which ones did you get? I have the pro 17s and they made a big difference on the bike - I collected them ACS on my Super Glide and they suggested using them, the ride home was a revelation, I could hear the bike and other traffic but the wind noise was almost zero. I really ought to get a second pair, I dread getting to a gig and finding my plugs are still at home, in my riding jacket pocket!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478421805' post='3168900']
Which ones did you get? I have the pro 17s and they made a big difference on the bike - I collected them ACS on my Super Glide and they suggested using them, the ride home was a revelation, I could hear the bike and other traffic but the wind noise was almost zero. I really ought to get a second pair, I dread getting to a gig and finding my plugs are still at home, in my riding jacket pocket!
[/quote]

The 17's too and i ride a Road King Classic. Great to get some feedback on using with a Harley as the open face helmets can be a bit noisy at times.
Will need to keep it in mind not to leave them in my bike jacket :)
Thanks for that.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1478429638' post='3168955']
The 17's too and i ride a Road King Classic. Great to get some feedback on using with a Harley as the open face helmets can be a bit noisy at times.
Will need to keep it in mind not to leave them in my bike jacket :)
Thanks for that.

Dave
[/quote]

You're most welcome, and the Road King is a great bike. I've got a Wide Glide now (95th anniversary edition) but haven't ridden it yet as still recovering from an accident last year, but will have the earplugs in under my Davida when I do!

I have the ACS Pro 17s and love them too. I used Thunderplug Pros for a while which did the job but weren't very comfortable.

I even wear my ACS plugs in the cinema now after finding some films intensely loud and researching to find that the volume levels regularly exceed 90db (which is dangerous when exposed to for long periods of time) and as a regular cinema-goer, this caused me just as much concern as rehearsing/gigging!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1478421298' post='3168898'] Good news is that the new drummer is far more technical than loud and the full band now plays at a more respectable volume that doesn't really need earplugs for rehearsals anyway. [/quote]

You should start wearing earplugs [u][i]before[/i][/u] you need them.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1478428529' post='3168945']
If I forgot to bring my ACS pkugs to a gig, then no gig. The most crucial piece of kit I carry
[/quote]

+100

I also carry foam plugs as a backup. I had a filter fall apart once and discovered my foam plugs were on the other side of the stage in the leads case! I always have some foam plugs on the cab now!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478429908' post='3168958']
You're most welcome, and the Road King is a great bike. I've got a Wide Glide now (95th anniversary edition) but haven't ridden it yet as still recovering from an accident last year, but will have the earplugs in under my Davida when I do!
[/quote]

I had the Davida helmet and altho well made was very tight fit and kept most of the noise out. Think i remember your posts from last year when you had the accident. Well i think it was you. My Road King is the 2003 anniversary model.

I just bought new Shark Classic open face helmet with the drop down "pilots" visor and its so light compared to the Davida. Has to be the best fit helmet i've ever tried on to be honest.

Dave

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1478430889' post='3168966']
I have the ACS Pro 17s and love them too. I used Thunderplug Pros for a while which did the job but weren't very comfortable.

I even wear my ACS plugs in the cinema now after finding some films intensely loud and researching to find that the volume levels regularly exceed 90db (which is dangerous when exposed to for long periods of time) and as a regular cinema-goer, this caused me just as much concern as rehearsing/gigging!
[/quote]

Have to say i've not been to cinema since ET movie came out. LOL

Dave

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478432062' post='3168975']
You should start wearing earplugs [u][i]before[/i][/u] you need them.
[/quote]

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES. The damage is cumulative. You ears get abused, then they recover and the cycle continues till one day they do not recover. Then you say, huh I wish I wore earplugs sooner.

If anyone is ordering, get them with the string on them to sling around your neck. So much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1479504739' post='3177159']
Specsavers are the ACS ones.
[/quote]

ok cheers Ive booked an appointment with them for next week, I have tinnitus but after reading different threads maybe I should do something to stop it getting worse.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1479553649' post='3177400']
Just got my PRO17s and first gig with them tonight.

They were great at rehearsal this week - it's like someone fitted the drummer with a volume control
[/quote]

Make sure you know where you put them at all times, you'll soon reach the stage where you won't rehearse or gig without them. Can't tell you how many times I stopped on the way to a gig to check they are still in my gig bag!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479554260' post='3177405']

Make sure you know where you put them at all times, you'll soon reach the stage where you won't rehearse or gig without them. Can't tell you how many times I stopped on the way to a gig to check they are still in my gig bag!
[/quote]

Noted, thanks 😀 I'm paranoid about forgetting stuff as it is so this will only add to the stress!

I got mine with the cord and clip so hopefully I won't lose them straight away. Although I am resigned to losing them at some point....that's just the way my life goes *sigh*