Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rack Bags..?

bubinga5

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1468260438' post='3089688']
I had a Gator GRB 3U and my only complaint was that the handle has a reasonably fat tube in to make it more comfy to hold which means it sits on top of cabs at a bit of a tilt.
[/quote]

Hi Bub,
I have Soft Gator 2u for my trusty swr sm500, but its not screwed in so at a gig i just take it out, it helps keep it cool. :)

Its a good case.

Edited by funkgod

I had one of the super cheap ones from gear4music, it seemed ok for the tiny price, unfortunately I didn't measure the kit before I bought the case and nothing I owned fitted in it (it was the shallow one and the space between the control panels and the front cover wasn't deep enough for the handles on my power amp)

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1468323033' post='3090093']
I had one of the super cheap ones from gear4music, it seemed ok for the tiny price, unfortunately I didn't measure the kit before I bought the case and nothing I owned fitted in it (it was the shallow one and the space between the control panels and the front cover wasn't deep enough for the handles on my power amp)

Matt
[/quote]

Same here. It wasnt the shallow one but still my poweramp wouldnt fit. It seems ot be longer than average (;-0)
I ended up geting another generic brand that i cant remember the name of, which is longer.

EDIT: This is the place. The Spider rack bag is pretty basic but so far no complaints. Doesn't look like they do a 2U in the standard size though.
[url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/type/index.asp?section=rackmount-bags-2610"]http://www.flightcas...mount-bags-2610[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

I've always gone with SKB - no issues.

When buying a rack bag though, make sure the rack rails are recessed enough to protect any knobs etc that may be on the front of your amp (The SKBs are fine for my needs, don't know about other brands).

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1468527860' post='3091632']
I use the Gator bags, they're very good. Just buy one with an extra unit and stick a vented blank panel above your amp.
[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure about this. Generally the air flow technology is designed to permit multiple amplifier racking without spaces between.

Normally, amps draw fresh air in the front and exhaust hot air out the sides or the rear. If vented panels are fitted between the amplifiers, then pre-heated air inside the rack will re-cycle through the front.
If you feel more comfortable with spaces between amps then use solid panels - not vented ones.
If you are running into an overheating problem then vent the hot air OUT of the rack at the rear.

dont screw it in !
A normal rack is not too bad, but rack bags! it like wrapping a quilt around it, it protects it in transit, but if you leave the amp in and turn it on, then its going to heat up.
i know some amps like the swr the metal case is a part of the cooling system in that the heat sinks are bolted to it to help dissipate the heat away from the transistors, if you go wrapping it in protective padding, and then turn it on !,
for the sake of 10 seconds at a gig, take it out the bag and let it breath as intended.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1468600645' post='3092100']
dont screw it in !
A normal rack is not too bad, but rack bags! it like wrapping a quilt around it, it protects it in transit, but if you leave the amp in and turn it on, then its going to heat up.
i know some amps like the swr the metal case is a part of the cooling system in that the heat sinks are bolted to it to help dissipate the heat away from the transistors, if you go wrapping it in protective padding, and then turn it on !,
for the sake of 10 seconds at a gig, take it out the bag and let it breath as intended.
[/quote]Funkgod, I want to keep it in the bag to be honest. Especially if i have a rack tuner above it. I would like to put the Mac Pro on top also.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1468580236' post='3091896']
I'm not entirely sure about this. Generally the air flow technology is designed to permit multiple amplifier racking without spaces between.

Normally, amps draw fresh air in the front and exhaust hot air out the sides or the rear. If vented panels are fitted between the amplifiers, then pre-heated air inside the rack will re-cycle through the front.
If you feel more comfortable with spaces between amps then use solid panels - not vented ones.
If you are running into an overheating problem then vent the hot air OUT of the rack at the rear.
[/quote]

Nobody's talking about multiple amps in a bag here........just what is a decent bag to put an amp in.
One amp, a rack bag, a bit of room for air to circulate by buying an extra unit one - either stick a panel in or leave it open. Job done, never had an overheating problem in 5 years.
Both my amps (in separate cases) blow air out of the front - not the back

:-)

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1468604295' post='3092127']
Funkgod, I want to keep it in the bag to be honest. Especially if i have a rack tuner above it. I would like to put the Mac Pro on top also.
[/quote]

ah right, i just use mine to cart it about, yea if you need to add anything, and want to keep it in then as said you could add 1u for breathing space, pending what amp you use