Why become a member? ×

why no Billy Sheehan clones?

MacDaddy

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1467827117' post='3086586']
I find his passion for playing and wanting to give his time to give advice really inspiring. I'm not big on Mr Big but i do like the Winery Dogs. I've seen TWD twice now and they were brilliant both times. Although I must say Kotzen in that band is awesome.

He's 62, same or similar age to yourself.
[/quote]

Most of the folks I consider influences are on average 10 years older than me.

Paul McCartney
Chuck Rainey
Larry Graham
Stanley Clarke
Francis Rocco Prestia
Jaco
Carol Kaye

Sorry, nor accepting any new applications at this time.

Don't get me wrong, I know Billy is a 'killer" bass player.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467858799' post='3086785']

Paul McCartney
Chuck Rainey
Larry Graham
Stanley Clarke
Francis Rocco Prestia
Jaco
Carol Kaye

Blue
[/quote]

Stanley Clarke, Jaco and Francis Roco Prestia were all born in 1951, Sheehan in '53.
Almost half your list are only a few years older than you, no where near 10 years

Isn't it funny how some great players pass you by. I've been reading guitar/bass mags since 1984 so have read loads of articles about Sheehan. However I can only claim to have knowingly heard one song he plays on. And that one is the big acoustic ballad hit that Mr Big had way back. Just never registered onmy listening radar. Odd...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1467887509' post='3086985']
That style of music got filed under cheese thirty years ago, of course there's nobody doing it now!
[/quote]
but the question is, why wasn't anyone else doing it then? In the age of shred, and guitar heroes popping up each week, why were no other bass players playing like Billy?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467858055' post='3086783']
Well that's what happens when younger bass chatters put down Jaco.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm 25 and I can't say I've ever seen anyone put down Jaco, stop blaming the youth you old fogey! :P

Maybe the shredder phase has passed but Billys playing with Winery Dogs is immense, nothing cheesy or 80's about it.
Like LewisK said, he serves the songs incredibly well whilst still having his flash moments.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1467887773' post='3086989']
but the question is, why wasn't anyone else doing it then? In the age of shred, and guitar heroes popping up each week, why were no other bass players playing like Billy?
[/quote]

Because the guitar players got the fame, money and girls... so why would anyone put any effort into playing the bass like Billy? :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467858799' post='3086785']

Paul McCartney
Chuck Rainey
Larry Graham
Stanley Clarke
Francis Rocco Prestia
Jaco
Carol Kaye

Blue

[/quote]
Ok,,, answered my own question with this quote.

"Sorry, nor accepting any new applications at this time."

The problem I have with that ..well, not really a problem for me.... is that that is a very insular set of references.
I agree some of them may be required listienng... but you've rather missed out 30 yrs plus of bass playing so I think it would/may be
hard to evolve your own playing if your references are only of that period...??

For example... Nobody listens to Louis Johnson ..who was probably THE 80's bass player with his work with Quincy Jones
for slap as the style has moved on so much.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1467870122' post='3086792']

Stanley Clarke, Jaco and Francis Roco Prestia were all born in 1951, Sheehan in '53.
Almost half your list are only a few years older than you, no where near 10 years
[/quote]

Cool, well that's still my list. I never knew about Billy when I was listening to those on my list.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1467897457' post='3087141']

Ok,,, answered my own question with this quote.

"Sorry, nor accepting any new applications at this time."

The problem I have with that ..well, not really a problem for me.... is that that is a very insular set of references.
I agree some of them may be required listienng... but you've rather missed out 30 yrs plus of bass playing so I think it would/may be
hard to evolve your own playing if your references are only of that period...??

For example... Nobody listens to Louis Johnson ..who was probably THE 80's bass player with his work with Quincy Jones
[/quote]

I think I had the great Louis Johnson covered with Larry.

Not much changed in the 30 year gap besides bass guitar not being as prominent in a lot of the more commercial tunes as it was in the 60s and 70s.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467917493' post='3087337']
I think I had the great Louis Johnson covered with Larry.

Not much changed in the 30 year gap besides bass guitar not being as prominent in a lot of the more commercial tunes as it was in the 60s and 70s.

Blue
[/quote]

You did, but stylistically..and IMO, Larry Graham is more relevant that LJ.... and that is because LG is just inherrently funky..whereas
the style of 80's slap bass is pretty dated so it couldn't really be used a a lead instrument anymore.

If you looked at vanguard slappers today..it is light years away from what they did then..which was basically LH pat around triplets.
Very clever at the time but eaten up alive today...and probably only Mark King could still stand up with them now...??

I'm just saying that bass moves on..not surpringly and if your groove is stood still...then..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1467897457' post='3087141']
[/quote]

....I still listen to Louis Johnson, does that make me a bad person? :(

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1467919384' post='3087368']
Main problem with being a Sheehan is that you need a Vai or Gilbert to bounce off and there aren't many of them, despite the rhetoric to the contrary.
[/quote]
^ this, without a smoking hot guitarist, Sheehan is just a bit of a racket really. I love the guy, but when he solos I have to get a drink, whereas when he plays with the guitars I love the way he sounds.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1467924122' post='3087427']

^ this, without a smoking hot guitarist, Sheehan is just a bit of a racket really. I love the guy, but when he solos I have to get a drink, whereas when he plays with the guitars I love the way he sounds.
[/quote]

Some of you know my position on bass guitar solos. Never considered it a solo type instrument.

I think if your playing traditional jazz soloing on the double bass makes sense.

Oh, I'll make an exception for that solo that Tal took with Jeff Beck "Since We Ended As Lovers"

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1467924122' post='3087427']
[/quote]

Have you heard Niacin?
Bass, drums and keys.

Some of the best stuff Billy has done.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467810499' post='3086425']
I think that's a very interesting question!

I was a Big Billy Sheehan fan...Mr Big at the Birmingham Institute still rates as one of my all time favourite gigs. However, I've never really had a desire to play like him.

I imagine he has inspired many people to play bass but you're absolutely correct, I can't think of a single bass player who seems to have copied his style!

Funny that.
[/quote]

I copied it for a long time. Attitude basses, 2 amps the whole lot. Played some Mr Big and Talas tunes in the sets too.

Funnily enough my chops aren't good enough anymore, but now I can read music and I couldn't then.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1467824743' post='3086570']
Brilliant input!
[/quote]

Sorry but I am with Blue on this one, but there again there are a LOT of rawk type players that dont do it for me.
Same with the slappety-bippety types.
Its a damn BASS, guys!
:lol: