Why become a member? ×

Don't Get Spoiled By The Festival & Fair Season

blue

Ok , were a US bar band (keep in mind we are far from what would be classified or considered a professional band) and some of you, as I understand it are pub bands.

Just a word to the wise and myself. Festivals in the US pay at least double what our 4 hour bar gigs pay. Performance slots are a small fraction of our usual 4 hour bar gis.

I say enjoy these gigs and learn what you can about festival crowds, working on large stages with high end sound and lighting solutions and have fun.But understand the good times end at the end of the summer.

Any comments on playing to larger festival crowds in terms of material and fronting.

Pics Summerfest, Johnson Controls World Sound Stage (45 minute set), Milwaukee 7/5/2016.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1467785415' post='3086141']
Tell us about the yellow P bass, that looks cool?
[/quote]

It's one of two MIJ 50s reissue Fender P Basses I own. They're from the early 2000s.

I just started gigging with it again recently. Real thin jazz bass type neck. A real fun bass to play with round wounds.I took the black pick guard off.

Bought the 2 used for a grand with hard shell cases.

Blue

Edited by blue

I find that simpler driving grooves with space between the notes work better. Outdoors it's not always easy to control the sound and what the audience are hearing (e.g. if the sound us echoey or mushy), so the more complicated the rhythms are, the less likely they are to 'reach' the audience.

Edited by SICbass

All depends on the sound guys. Of course.

I played the East Barnet Festival on Sunday, supporting the Trembling Wilburys. There were FOUR sound guys just on the stage itself, but they were dealing with four acoustic stringed instruments.

It took ages to get the feedback under control but after that it was a real pleasure.

http://youtu.be/5SnbMJb8NVY

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467787179' post='3086156']
It's one of two MIJ 50s reissue Fender P Basses I own. They're from the early 2000s.

I just started gigging with it again recently. Real thin jazz bass type neck. A real fun bass to play with round wounds.I took the black pick guard off.

Bought the 2 used for a grand with hard shell cases.

Blue
[/quote]

Looks nice without the scratchplate.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1467792938' post='3086214']
All depends on the sound guys. Of course.

I played the East Barnet Festival on Sunday, supporting the Trembling Wilburys. There were FOUR sound guys just on the stage itself, but they were dealing with four acoustic stringed instruments.

It took ages to get the feedback under control but after that it was a real pleasure.[/quote]

Nice job! Looks like it was s fun gig.

Blue

Yodaclub have a couple of festivals lined up over the next few weeks, the only thing I want out of them is dry and warm anything else is a bonus, there is nothing better than a big stage with a good crowd out front on a hot summer evening, but nothing worse than a big stage with a couple of die hard locals out front sheltering under a golf umbrella while it tips it down again!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1467826624' post='3086580']
When we do festivals they are usually [b]unpaid[/b]. We look on them as a bit of fun, and good advertising.
[/quote]
Oh noes! You said the U word!

I know exactly where this thread is going to go now.

Our band headlined a local festival on sat night. Nice little fest with just under a thousand folks and some good bands. Poor weather earlier resulted in a muddy pit but it faired up half way through the evening. The headline slot is a bit of a funny one as it kicks off at 11.45p.m. and runs till 1a.m. so maybe half of the crowd(those with famillies) have given up and gone home by then just leaving the die hards behind. To be fair, this is probably a better crowd for us to play to as I think we offended some folks when we played earlier last year. Twas a good night but slightly marred due to not being able to see the crowd for the bright stage lights, but I have already ranted about those in another thread.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467832720' post='3086637']

Oh noes! You said the U word!

I know exactly where this thread is going to go now.
[/quote]

Not at all, if people want to play unpaid gigs that's their choice.

But you sure as hell won't find me performing unpaid.

Blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467840281' post='3086708']
My unpaid non-Beatles-influenced tribute band needs some new music stands for 4 hour gigs -- they should have plenty of heft and good handles, and be good for metal. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Music stands.....well i'd walk straight out if i saw them ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467840281' post='3086708']
My unpaid non-Beatles-influenced tribute band needs some new music stands for 4 hour gigs -- they should have plenty of heft and good handles, and be good for metal. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

If your standing verticle playing an electric guitar, that alone is Beatle influence.

One thing I have learned from bass chat is how much bigger the impact of The Beatles was in the US as compared to the UK.

Back on topic, I think The Beatles had broken up before festivals became huge in The US ( Woodstock, Newport, Montery...) And I personally think they were too big for festivals.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467842320' post='3086723']
Not at all, if people want to play unpaid gigs that's their choice.

But you sure as hell won't find me performing unpaid.

Blue
[/quote]

We'd prefer not to do any unpaid gigs as each gig costs us money to do. But, we do a 2 or 3 open air gigs without payment each year as they help keep us visible and do lead to paid gigs in the area that the festival is held. We turn down more free gigs than we accept.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467842627' post='3086730']
Beatles Beatles Beatles etc etc etc etc
[/quote]
Do I really need to point out that my 'tribute band' comment was not entirely -- or even slightly -- serious?
It must be a cultural thing.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467843488' post='3086737']

Do I really need to point out that my 'tribute band' comment was not entirely -- or even slightly -- serious?
It must be a cultural thing.
[/quote]

So are you going ahead with the music stands or not? :)

Forgetting about the childish crap about music stands and not performing unpaid, it's an interesting thread because unfortunately this type of gig just not exist around here!

We do get various motorcycle club rallies that are very similar in terms of PA, lights & staging etc. Everyone loves playing them as it gives you the chance to play on a big stage to a couple of thousand people, which is pretty cool for the average bar band. They usually pay the same as a well paid pub gig, although the bigger rallies may pay a couple of grand for the headliner (often one of the bigger rock tribute acts). Unfortunately a lot of these events are struggling financially these days and some have called it a day, but they are certainly great fun to play.