Why become a member? ×

Don't Get Spoiled By The Festival & Fair Season

blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1467844750' post='3086753']
Forgetting about the childish crap about music stands and not performing unpaid, it's an interesting thread because unfortunately this type of gig just not exist around here!

We do get various motorcycle club rallies that are very similar in terms of PA, lights & staging etc. Everyone loves playing them as it gives you the chance to play on a big stage to a couple of thousand people, which is pretty cool for the average bar band. They usually pay the same as a well paid pub gig, although the bigger rallies may pay a couple of grand for the headliner (often one of the bigger rock tribute acts). Unfortunately a lot of these events are struggling financially these days and some have called it a day, but they are certainly great fun to play.
[/quote]

Yes this.....because it's all serious and not childish crap. Good on you 👍😆

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1467843488' post='3086737']

Do I really need to point out that my 'tribute band' comment was not entirely -- or even slightly -- serious?
It must be a cultural thing.
[/quote]

Sometime things don't come across the way we think they do in text.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1467844750' post='3086753']
Forgetting about the childish crap about music stands and not performing unpaid, it's an interesting thread because unfortunately this type of gig just not exist around here!

We do get various motorcycle club rallies that are very similar in terms of PA, lights & staging etc. Everyone loves playing them as it gives you the chance to play on a big stage to a couple of thousand people, which is pretty cool for the average bar band. They usually pay the same as a well paid pub gig, although the bigger rallies may pay a couple of grand for the headliner (often one of the bigger rock tribute acts). Unfortunately a lot of these events are struggling financially these days and some have called it a day, but they are certainly great fun to play.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Pete, in the Milwaukee area there are so many festivals and fairs the over flow of these events have nowhere to go but to the bar bands.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467851120' post='3086779']
Agreed,

Pete, in the Milwaukee area there are so many festivals and fairs the over flow of these events have nowhere to go but to the bar bands.

Blue
[/quote]

Shame it's not like that here, I love playing outdoors, always good crowds and good sound. Come to think of it, we did do a country fair last summer (probably similar to some of the fairs you're talking about) and got the same fee as we do for a good pub gig. Played the same two one hour sets, though. Just not many events like that in my area.

Yes as Peteb points out it's a rather different market over here. However there probably are more outdoor events in the summer than there used to be (I don't recall there being that many in my youth apart from the 'big' rock festivals). I think some of the extra opportunities is borne out of our current obsession with food & drink. More food festivals aroundf which will have a stage somewhere for a bit of live entertainment. My current band don't really do festivals much, I think they view them as more trouble than they are worth with the lack of control over the sound etc. We probably should look into making some contacts to do biker festivals, that would be our main market with our set list but as Peteb also says there arent as many as there once were and it is something of an ageing audience.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1467873003' post='3086805']

Shame it's not like that here, I love playing outdoors, always good crowds and good sound. Come to think of it, we did do a country fair last summer (probably similar to some of the fairs you're talking about) and got the same fee as we do for a good pub gig. Played the same two one hour sets, though. Just not many events like that in my area.
[/quote]

Yes, were lucky, but keep in mind ,we still have to put in the effort to get those gigs. They're not handed to anyone.

But yeah, you guys know playing for 45 mins and getting the same or double your normal 4 hour show is a treat.

Blue

Edited by blue

It never ceases to amaze me just how much louder the backline has to be for outdoor gigs. I suppose the physics is obvious in a fairly 'no sh*t, sherlock' way, but the difference is really major. I love outdoor gigs :)