Why become a member? ×

Do speakers have a lifespan

Twincam

An insomnia question.
Was wondering if drivers have a lifespan.
Say a speaker is used often and at higher volumes but not abused and not kept in a damaging atmosphere.
I assume after initial wear in, that there is still a very slow mechanical wear rate but can they actually just wear out through normal playing that's within there specs/ratings?

Anyone still using a really old speaker regular?

Something I've often wondered myself. Even with little use you would imagine just ageing alone would
take it's toll at some point? Having said that, I have a Marshall 18 watt guitar combo from the late 60's,
and the 12" Celestion still sounds wonderful. Anyone else?

[Quote]Twincam said:

Anyone still using a really old speaker regular? [/QUOTE]

1973 drivers in my bassman 2x15 still fabulous and showing no signs of change or damage. Bona fide sound, the real thing.

I'm not the original owner, but from the tolex and grill it has been well used, and only stored in dry conditions I would say.

I use that cab at proper band levels about 12 hours/mnth I suppose.

LD

Edited by luckydog

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1465720621' post='3070381']
Anything that involves movement has a finite life.
[/quote]

Yes, that would be my take on it, notably the flexible joint between the cone and the frame. It surely can't last forever.

Having said that, I've still got a pair of Celestion County hifi speakers from the early 70s that show no sign of wearing out, so 'finite life' could well mean very long life. Hopefully that will apply to all of us :)

A good quality cab will have a long life if you look after it. My Mesa EV 210 was over 20 years old when I sold it and it was still going strong.

That's one reason why if one cab will do I'll use two.

My speakers will die from old age rather than over use.

Technical answer from me, Would you expect anything else?

It depends on the materials, Basically most speakers have paper cones and often the surrounds too. Glues used are usually polymer based (plastics, sort of) but may be based on latex. Coil formers may be paper in older designs but now may be plastic or fibrelass. Surrounds may be paper, rubber or cloth and the surround and the cone might be doped with a polymer coating.

Flex paper continuously and it will eventually beak down as the plant fibres break and also separate from each other. Humidity even in a 'dry room' will vary from maybe 40-85% so they will also swell and shrink a fair amount. All the polymers are liable to becoming more brittle as they age as they continue to cross polymerise. the glues used in construction may also break down.Just about all te materials in the speaker will oxidise slowly over time

All this is speeded up near the coil. This is because of the heat generated there where aging is basically doubled every 10 degree rise. The coil may reach several hundred degrees when the speaker is working flat out.

So, yes time will cause speakers to deteriorate. They probably drift out of spec slowly and I doubt if they sound as they did when new. However there are plenty of 20 year old speakers out there still doing a job and I've heard 60 year old speakers working in old valve radios still going. You can sleep soundly.